Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Museum to remove statue of Theodore Roosevelt

They may as well take all statues down as just about all have some checkered past that offended someone. Let’s start looking at the art museums next. I’m sure there is a lot of art that depicts blacks subservient to whites. How about changing all the school and street names regarding Washington, Jefferson, and Roosevelt. 

If anything, the old southern plantation mansions all need to be burned down. That was where slavery actually took place. Replace them with Walmart’s and Costco’s. 

21 minutes ago, bitteraztec said:

Did either of you read the article?

If anything, the old southern plantation mansions all need to be burned down. That was where slavery actually took place. They are worse than confederate statues. Let BLM burn those suckers down. 

Teddy Roosevelt was no angel.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

11 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

They may as well take all statues down as just about all have some checkered past that offended someone. Let’s start looking at the art museums next. I’m sure there is a lot of art that depicts blacks subservient to whites. How about changing all the school and street names regarding Washington, Jefferson, and Roosevelt. 

If anything, the old southern plantation mansions all need to be burned down. That was where slavery actually took place. Replace them with Walmart’s and Costco’s. 

Maybe you should like look at the statue first. I like TDR, a lot. I'm fine with this statue being removed. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

37 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

I’m gonna go topple the first MLK statue I can find...  wonder how that would be perceived by the blm crowd...

He was no angel either; however, I have tremendous respect for him.

110926run_defense710.jpg

44 minutes ago, renoskier said:

So, maybe none of us should have statues dedicated to us. :shrug:

I was suggesting (in jest), we should destroy and ban all art. Art is bullshit, it either embellish or distorts.  We shouldn't name anything after any person.  We need to rename buildings, schools, parks, freeways, bases, etc.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Per the article, Roosevelt's great-grandson also says it should be removed.

“The composition of the Equestrian Statue does not reflect Theodore Roosevelt’s legacy,” Theodore Roosevelt IV, a great-grandson of the president, said in a statement to the Times. “It is time to move the statue and move forward.”

I mean, Teddy was an imperialist and racist, but he did enough historically significant stuff (like being the godfather of Christian masculinity) to warrant a statue at a museum. It’s a museum.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

14 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

I mean, Teddy was an imperialist and racist, but he did enough historically significant stuff (like being the godfather of Christian masculinity) to warrant a statue at a museum. It’s a museum.

He also did a lot of heavy lifting to reduce the power of industrialists and improved the lot of the working man.  Let's just throw the baby out with the bathwater because he does not live up to how we think 100 years later.

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

So it matters not what having the black and indigenous men standing next to him was meant to depict? C'mon, people.

Yeah I feel the people getting outraged by this are ignoring the actual reasons for this being removed. Its not really TR himself but the depiction of natives and African americans in the statue.

10 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah I feel the people getting outraged by this are ignoring the actual reasons for this being removed. Its not really TR himself but the depiction of natives and African americans in the statue.

Then chisel them off his statue.