Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NevadaFan

CFB players test positive...

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

Sounds like you’ll believe whatever fits your agenda. Have at it. 
Does your math friend accept that people were classified death by COVID when that wasn’t the case? Are you denying that they cooked the books on some of these deaths?

Just cause some blowhard says the books are cooked doesn’t mean it actually happened. Critical thinking FTW

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

33 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Even the annual influenza numbers are massaged and include deaths with a different cause listed on the certificate. On the CDC website it says:

33 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Even the annual influenza numbers are massaged and include deaths with a different cause listed on the certificate. On the CDC website it says:

That quoted statement regarding influenza is extremely likely also to be true for Covid. Overall death rates for the same period of time have ballooned quite a bit in several places. While it may not be directly causal in many cases, it can certainly exacerbate issues.  Of course, it could just be cell phone towers and Hillary Clinton’s fault, as some might say

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

2 hours ago, Bob said:

This is not true

yea it is.  a small study out of china just showed a significant decrease in antibodies in just a few months in covid survivors.  To assume just because you have it once means you cant get it again may be very wrong.  It was a small study and the immune system has other ways to respond to a known infection so at this point we dont know.

4 hours ago, Mano said:

It's just math, I showed my work.

If you have relevant data supporting your assertion please share . 

His point is stupid, but your "math" was hardly math.  You just divided by 2...because?

The Case Mortality rate is far different from the infection mortality rate.  Most estimates have the later between 0.5 to 1.5%.  That is far different than 2.5% which would make it twice as deadly as the Spanish flue (1.3%). 

You guys both sound like morons.  No offense (well a little offense).

15 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

His point is stupid, but your "math" was hardly math.  You just divided by 2...because?

The Case Mortality rate is far different from the infection mortality rate.  Most estimates have the later between 0.5 to 1.5%.  That is far different than 2.5% which would make it twice as deadly as the Spanish flue (1.3%). 

You guys both sound like morons.  No offense (well a little offense).

Reading comprehension fail on your part.

The number .0004% kept being thrown around, which was obviously wrong, as .04% of the entire US population has died. I merely explained how the numbers work to someone throwing that figure around. And for the dividing by 2, I explained that IF the actual number of people infected  were twice the number that tested positive, that would be how to calculate the number. If you have some sort of data that indicates the actual number of people infected is higher or lower, feel free to contribute. 

And don't worry, I do not get offended by someone like you calling me names.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

3 hours ago, Mano said:

Reading comprehension fail on your part.

The number .0004% kept being thrown around, which was obviously wrong, as .04% of the entire US population has died. I merely explained how the numbers work to someone throwing that figure around. And for the dividing by 2, I explained that IF the actual number of people infected  were twice the number that tested positive, that would be how to calculate the number. If you have some sort of data that indicates the actual number of people infected is higher or lower, feel free to contribute. 

And don't worry, I do not get offended by someone like you calling me names.

You just threw out the 2.5% number so you could teach somebody to divide by two.  Not because you think it is a plausible number.  Sure.  Gotcha.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:42 PM, godogsgo said:

That quoted statement regarding influenza is extremely likely also to be true for Covid. Overall death rates for the same period of time have ballooned quite a bit in several places. While it may not be directly causal in many cases, it can certainly exacerbate issues.  Of course, it could just be cell phone towers and Hillary Clinton’s fault, as some might say

Hillary Clinton’s fault? Cell phone towers?

Straight from the playbook I see. :facepalm:

On 6/22/2020 at 2:18 PM, Billings said:

yea it is.  a small study out of china just showed a significant decrease in antibodies in just a few months in covid survivors.  To assume just because you have it once means you cant get it again may be very wrong.  It was a small study and the immune system has other ways to respond to a known infection so at this point we dont know.

Your conclusion is correct, but a decrease in antibodies does not mean a lack of immunity. Antibodies decrease with every disease process. Memory T & B Cells are what’s important.  The fear isn’t that we will be unable to avoid disease after a second exposure because our titer has dropped. The fear is, with COVID being inherently prone to mutation as an RNA virus, that our memory cells won’t be able to recognize the mutants epitopes. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

On 6/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, godogsgo said:

I can’t speak for other places but in my hospital we stopped testing for pna/flu at the beginning of March and started treating all respiratory cases as covid.  Partly for money reasons but also that it took 5 days to get results back, which is worthless to us since most true covid patients were sent home after a few days.  That only changed with the last phased reopening a few weeks ago.  Not that it’s high here anyway, but the covid cases are indeed cooked in an inflated manner.  Again, not sure how that translates nationally but our facility is part of the largest hospital system in the country.  I expect they had similar directives.

34 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I can’t speak for other places but in my hospital we stopped testing for pna/flu at the beginning of March and started treating all respiratory cases as covid.  Partly for money reasons but also that it took 5 days to get results back, which is worthless to us since most true covid patients were sent home after a few days.  That only changed with the last phased reopening a few weeks ago.  Not that it’s high here anyway, but the covid cases are indeed cooked in an inflated manner.  Again, not sure how that translates nationally but our facility is part of the largest hospital system in the country.  I expect they had similar directives.

Probable COVID isn’t being reported as COVID to the department of health. At least not at my facility which has had some of the highest numbers in the country. PCR needs to come back positive AND the patient has to show symptoms. We’ve had rapid testing and in-house PCR since March. 

I’ve heard some goofy things from the conspiracy theory crowd. Things like, “hospitals are reporting fake COVID because they get paid $X to report it. They’re getting rich”. Pay for diagnosis isn’t some new thing to COVID. It’s been around for a very long time, and it was actually created to combat hospitals overcharging insurance companies. It stops them from over ordering tests, giving HMO runs rounds, etc. Also, what really shuts down this silly theory is the fact that hospitals are hurting really, really bad from this COVID outbreak.  Record losses are being reported. If the goal was to get rich, then they’d be reporting no cases. After all, “no testing, no cases!”  AMIRITE? 

36 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

5 days? At my wife’s facility they have gotten results for almost all of their tests in 2 days. And this has been since the beginning of this all. 

16 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

5 days? At my wife’s facility they have gotten results for almost all of their tests in 2 days. And this has been since the beginning of this all. 

That’s all going to depend where you are and how big your facility is. At the very beginning of the outbreak it took 3 days to get a result. It had to be sent to the CDC because they held a monopoly on the test kits.  Fast forward a week, and the CDC’s TAT swells to 10 days, so they send out kits to local health departments. First, it’s about 5 days, then local health departments are overwhelmed. Plus, the stupid CDC kits were faulty. Trump signs the okay for the release of emergency authorization test kits, then it’s a race for every vendor in the world to bring one to market. Some are garbage, some are good, some are as fast as 15 minutes, some can take 24 hours. The market is flooded with tests now....the TAT is going to depend on the transportation time, platform, and sample backlog. To put it short, it’s different everywhere. 

7 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Probable COVID isn’t being reported as COVID to the department of health. At least not at my facility which has had some of the highest numbers in the country. PCR needs to come back positive AND the patient has to show symptoms. We’ve had rapid testing and in-house PCR since March. 

I’ve heard some goofy things from the conspiracy theory crowd. Things like, “hospitals are reporting fake COVID because they get paid $X to report it. They’re getting rich”. Pay for diagnosis isn’t some new thing to COVID. It’s been around for a very long time, and it was actually created to combat hospitals overcharging insurance companies. It stops them from over ordering tests, giving HMO runs rounds, etc. Also, what really shuts down this silly theory is the fact that hospitals are hurting really, really bad from this COVID outbreak.  Record losses are being reported. If the goal was to get rich, then they’d be reporting no cases. After all, “no testing, no cases!”  AMIRITE? 

That is true that they were hurting.  It is also true they had to make money where they could, we were hurting significantly during March and much of April because we never got hit hard.  We never had a vented covid patient.  What I was saying is that we weren’t testing for other respiratory illnesses that were likely present; pna patients would ultimately show once radiology got involved of course but there was an artificially sharp drop in pna/flu cases.  The money theory isn’t silly, i was part of it first hand. It lasted probably a full  6-7 weeks.  Probable patients got tested and sent home, if their results came back positive they counted towards our register.  This happened the most for us during May.  

7 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

Not us, it was a couple days by mid April but it took 5 days to hear back from the health department before then.  Its even a full 2 days at best for us now.

I suspect if we were in a hot zone the politics would’ve sped up the process but it was annoyingly slow for a while.

51 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Not us, it was a couple days by mid April but it took 5 days to hear back from the health department before then.  Its even a full 2 days at best for us now.

I suspect if we were in a hot zone the politics would’ve sped up the process but it was annoyingly slow for a while.

I am confused as to why you are using a 5 day lag in getting test results through mid April as proof that the numbers are “cooked” now, over two months later. 

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I’ve heard it’s taken up to ten days to hear back from the free testing site in Ft Myers at the Twins stadium.  

10 hours ago, tailingpermit said:

I’ve heard it’s taken up to ten days to hear back from the free testing site in Ft Myers at the Twins stadium.  

I’m not sure about that, I am not located in Florida anymore thankfully.  That would be unacceptable to me considering the  density of cases are relatively higher there than most places in the southeast.