Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NevadaFan

CFB players test positive...

.0004 is the fraction of people in the United States who have died so far from the virus ~ 120k/300M . So, about 1 in every 2500 people in the USA have died from this to date. 

The percentage of people in the United States who have died would be the fraction X 100, or .04%

The fraction of people who die once they get the virus would be the # infected / #deaths -  we have about 2.2M confirmed cases, so about .05 and in percentage, 5%

Obviously, more cases than those who have tested positive. If twice as many people have had it than tested positive, would be 2.5% actual death rate for those who get it.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

14 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I thought Sweden had universal health care? 

they will do better recovering.  a lot of medical debt piling up in the US

Your talking about the percentage of people who have died.  But I'm talking about the percentage of people who contact the virus that actually die.  Two very different things.  The thought is that eventually the majority of people will get it over time.  So although a fraction of the population HAS died to date, it will continue to grow.  You need to look at the death rate, not the total death count to know the danger of the virus.   That in conjunction with the R0 (or R naught) number is the number to look at.   To know the danger of the disease you look at the death rate times the R0 to know how deadly it is.  Covid-19 has a really high R0, which is why it spreads so easily. 

On 6/19/2020 at 4:42 PM, thedude15 said:

actually it is good. The more players that get it in the offseason = a greater chance we actually have a season. I mean if 25 came up positive the week before a huge ACC game that would be a much bigger deal.

Is there really such a thing as a huge AAC game though?????????

To date, not many "healthy"  people have been tested for Covid19.  I am shocked at the huge number of asymptomatic infected players who are just now getting tested.  If we had a reliable anti-body test I suspect we would be similarly shocked at the number of people who have already been infected asymptomatically.  We will see. Infections may rise a bit, but hospitalization and death rates keep dropping. I just do not see the case for extreme, unprecedented caution given the data trends.  

On 6/20/2020 at 12:20 PM, LoboMan59 said:

Yeah... and would be a good way to find out which players have unknown pre-existing conditions, that would have caused them to drop dead during practice or a football game! Free's up scholarships too!... NOT!

O Lineman are Obese.  They all have pre-existing conditions.

21 hours ago, Mano said:

.0004 is the fraction of people in the United States who have died so far from the virus ~ 120k/300M . So, about 1 in every 2500 people in the USA have died from this to date. 

The percentage of people in the United States who have died would be the fraction X 100, or .04%

The fraction of people who die once they get the virus would be the # infected / #deaths -  we have about 2.2M confirmed cases, so about .05 and in percentage, 5%

Obviously, more cases than those who have tested positive. If twice as many people have had it than tested positive, would be 2.5% actual death rate for those who get it.

Then you have to take into account all the people who died from all sorts of other things but were counted as a.COVID death because they had tested positive but didn't die from anything related to COVID.  Your 2.5% number is ludicrous . Not even close.

13 minutes ago, Bob said:

You know a viaccine against a corona virus has never been developed in human history? Why would they be able to vaccinate against this one?

Not entirely true.  Folks down in Houston developed one four years ago, but nobody was willing to pay for a trial.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 hours ago, Cincy said:

Then you have to take into account all the people who died from all sorts of other things but were counted as a.COVID death because they had tested positive but didn't die from anything related to COVID.  Your 2.5% number is ludicrous . Not even close.

It's just math, I showed my work.

If you have relevant data supporting your assertion please share . 

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

4 hours ago, Cincy said:

Then you have to take into account all the people who died from all sorts of other things but were counted as a.COVID death because they had tested positive but didn't die from anything related to COVID.  

There's not that many of those, and the numbers do get adjusted as those people are removed from the count.  And yes, they are doing that.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

14 minutes ago, Mano said:

It's just math, I showed my work.

If you have relevant data supporting your assertion please share . 

Radio shows and conspiracy theorists dont believe in math

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

45 minutes ago, Bob said:

You know a viaccine against a corona virus has never been developed in human history? Why would they be able to vaccinate against this one?

Its true that this type of virus is unusually difficult re vaccines and relatedly in terms of developing immunity. That later reason is a big issue for the herd immunity argument. It has not been demonstrated that covid infection generates protective or lasting immunity. 

there are a ton of companies working on the problem and several of the strategies are novel types of vaccines very different from the traditional models. There is some hope, but it wont be quick and needs to be tested

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

18 minutes ago, RSF said:

There's not that many of those, and the numbers do get adjusted as those people are removed from the count.  And yes, they are doing that.

I base my assertion on what I’ve heard from various doctors and M.E.s. Colorado corrected their numbers and it modified it by about 1/3. That’s just one state.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.coloradoan.com/amp/5198485002

You can believe what you want. I’m not sure how you would be so sure that all the numbers are getting adjusted. 

27 minutes ago, godogsgo said:

Radio shows and conspiracy theorists dont believe in math

Sounds like you’ll believe whatever fits your agenda. Have at it. 
Does your math friend accept that people were classified death by COVID when that wasn’t the case? Are you denying that they cooked the books on some of these deaths?

1 hour ago, afafan said:

image.png.c3aea67c886a154a9082f6bd3a27a123.png

First, the graph above stops in Mid March 2020 (Week 10). That is right before the outbreak in the US. Second, I went to the CDC website in your graph and got a very different graph showing massive spike in April and May and the entire county above average level. https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

Here is the actual graph.  Notice the MASSIVE pneumonia spikes in April and May.  Also notice the raw data showing pneumonia spikes by 400-650%.  That is showing you that pneumonia is WAY WAY overcounted because they died without being tested.  There is likely at least 20,000 people that died of COVID-19 that instead got attributed to pneumonia. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/investigations/2020/04/29/far-greater-u-s-covid-19-death-toll-indicated-cdc-data/3048381001/?fbclid=IwAR2MclRhZUbm5U41vrw8SLRuzLaGkU-nS2g0d0-VLlgL53-AblYKthL0lTw

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2019-2020/data/NCHSData24.csv

97993210_10158351767477206_2872709783830396928_o.jpg

1 hour ago, Cincy said:

Sounds like you’ll believe whatever fits your agenda. Have at it. 
Does your math friend accept that people were classified death by COVID when that wasn’t the case? Are you denying that they cooked the books on some of these deaths?

Even the annual influenza numbers are massaged and include deaths with a different cause listed on the certificate. On the CDC website it says:

Why doesn’t CDC base its seasonal flu mortality estimates only on death certificates that specifically list influenza?

Seasonal influenza may lead to death from other causes, such as pneumonia, congestive heart failure, or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It has been recognized for many years that influenza is underreported on death certificates. There may be several reasons for underreporting, including that patients aren’t always tested for seasonal influenza virus infection, particularly older adults who are at greatest risk of seasonal influenza complications and death. Even if a patient is tested for influenza, influenza virus infection may not be identified because the influenza virus is only detectable for a limited number of days  after infection and many people don’t seek medical care in this interval. Additionally, some deaths – particularly among those 65 years and older – are associated with secondary complications of influenza (including bacterial pneumonias). For these and other reasons, modeling strategies are commonly used to estimate flu-associated deaths. Only counting deaths where influenza was recorded on a death certificate would be a gross underestimation of influenza’s true impact.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/how-cdc-estimates.htm