Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Founding Father Monuments Torn Down

8 minutes ago, toonkee said:

You would think but maybe we can't. Maybe America was flawed at the beginning. That's the point.

I get your point but I would counter that the country has made progress since 1788 under the same government. It’s been painful, slow, and imperfect but not a disaster. We are also a big tent representative republic with 330 million diverse people spanning a large geographical area, progress is bound to happen faster in some areas than others. I also don’t believe what would emerge from a new government would be any more free or liberal than what we have now — I think it would be more authoritarian. In summary, I personally don’t see why it’s necessary to throw the baby out with the bath water, so we can agree to disagree on this.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

You would think but maybe we can't. Maybe America was flawed at the beginning. That's the point.

I understand that. My point is that the end result of moving on this assumption is violent and awful - worse than what we have now. If America was flawed from the beginning (which is certainly true... everything is flawed. Kinda the point of religion, the one that most practitioners of those religions often miss) then we have two choices... try over time to make it less flawed (and also adjust to the changing notions of what it means to be flawed), or end America. Ending America is an existential threat for me and my children. So the people who want to build on my agreeing with their grievances and want to garner my support for their project are gonna lose me if their project is irreconcilable with my ideals. I don't want to reach an impasse with people who have legitimate concerns and whose concerns I would like to see remedied through attempts at reform. 

2 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Listen brother, I got questions more than answers and unfortunately the answers aren't going to come from my thought experiments or the idea of American exceptionalism and it's exceptional constitution. They are going to be messy, vague, unfair and unreasonable.  These are not my desires, they are just what I see.

I agree. And to be fair, you're raising these questions on a message board, which I do think is different than raising them with a brick in your hand or with a legislative majority in your hand. When those actions are taken with more questions than answers, then you have a problem on your hands. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

I get your point but I would counter that the country has made progress since 1788 under the same government. It’s been painful, slow, and imperfect but not a disaster. We are also a big tent representative republic with 330 million diverse people spanning a large geographical area, progress is bound to happen faster in some areas than others. I personally don’t see why it’s necessary to throw the baby out with the bath water, so we can agree to disagree on this.

I don't know if it's necessary, either. I'm just wondering out loud if it is or if it will come to that.

20 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Well..it's not like a UNLV diploma is really worth anything anyway.

Shh, empty gestures are still important signifiers of social change.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, toonkee said:

I don't know if it's necessary, either. I'm just wondering out loud if it is or if it will come to that.

If it does, don’t expect all 50 states to gleefully go along. Under a scenario where the United States constitutional republic were dissolved, I believe it would be far more likely to have several new countries emerge rather than just one. 

Just now, BSUTOP25 said:

If it does, don’t expect all 50 states to gleefully go along. Under a scenario where the United States constitutional republic were dissolved, I believe it would be far more likely to have several new countries emerge rather than just one. 

Only traitors can attempt to dissolve it. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

Only traitors can attempt to dissolve it. 

This coming from Mr Benedict Arnold of the Emoji Wars hisself. 

37 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Agreed. UNLV is a vile institution that by its very existence perpetuates an unjust system. It should be torn down brick by brick. All accreditation granted by it to those who participated there should be rescinded, all nobility of their prior existence should be discounted as fruit of a poisoned tree. Let them all start over anew and be reborn in opposition to the dark cosmic forces at work.

Bricks? At UNLV? I think you mean tear it down, concrete slab by concrete slab.

27 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

MOAR statues of Talleyrand!

You truly are an American. Moar prisons. Moar smokey back rooms. Moar statues. A man of excess in a land of largess.

I'll take my apple pie a la mode thank you very much.

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Bricks? At UNLV? I think you mean tear it down, concrete slab by concrete slab.

The editors will be first on the list once I’m treasurer. Eloquence is more indispensable than accuracy.

1 minute ago, Los_Aztecas said:

You truly are an American. Moar prisons. Moar smokey back rooms. Moar statues. A man of excess in a land of largess.

I'll take my apple pie a la mode thank you very much.

tenor.gif?itemid=10445709

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

The editors will be first on the list once I’m treasurer. Eloquence is more indispensable than accuracy.

You and @smltwnrckr are anarchists, with little regard for truth or communication with people hampered by short attention spans. At least, you're an anarchist when you are not being an authoritarian.

Just now, NVGiant said:

You and @smltwnrckr are anarchists, with little regard for truth or communication with people hampered by short attention spans. At least, you're an anarchist when you are not being an authoritarian.

Gaslighting isn’t real. You do need a weathervane to know which way the wind blows. 

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Gaslighting isn’t real. You do need a weathervane to know which way the wind blows. 

The wind blowing so hard right now you don't even need to stick your finger in the air.

2 hours ago, pokerider said:

Really?  I bet that most things in your life improved the last 3 years, prior to Feb. 2020 due to the pandemic.   People had more money, more job opportunity, more freedom.  

The primary thing that is worse now is due to the pandemic situation that is beyond anyone's control.  

You mean freedom from environmental regulations, right? The same kind of freedom that is contributing to the demise of our planet. As to "more job opportunity" I was doing fine professionally without Donald Trump.

The single thing that guy has done for me is save our family something like $8K in federal income tax off the top. However, that was offset somewhat by the fact that turd also pushed through a law which capped the amount of state income tax I could write off my IRS filing. And otherwise he's been a complete disaster not just for me, but for this country.

The healing from all the damage he's done and will likely continue to do in the near future will begin in the aftermath of court decisions which reveal what a conniving scumbag he is and will continue with the country's ridding itself of the guy during the third week in January.

America, let’s blow it up and start over. 

We need another World War. I think they will call it WWIII. Too many young people with opinions. It’s our fault, we was to self centered to teach our kids and grand kids the importance of respecting. We was to busy getting drunk, buying guns, chasing skirts, binge watching GOT and partying to pay attention to how our kids were being raised or what they were up to.

yah, we raised a bunch of spoiled brats who always get what they want.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.