Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SalinasSpartan

Should Juneteenth be a Federal Holiday?

Should Juneteenth be a Federal Holiday?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Should Juneteenth be a Federal Holiday?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/26/2020 at 07:00 AM

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Here in Boise much of the private sector competes to offer the most days off.  T-Mobile, AT&T, ICCU and others are always trying to one up the other.  Some of the private sector has more paid days off than anybody in sate who works for the public sector could wish for.  I think T-Mobile finished with 18 paid days off, and if you had to work it was double time and a half.

The two engineering companies I worked for in Boise gave us New Years, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. It was always a long stretch between New Years and Memorial Day. The first company I worked for in Boise was nationwide based out of Pasadena, California and added MLKs birthday after I left. 

My history must be bad because I had never heard of Juneteenth until last week. As far as Juneteenth as a holiday I would be in favor of it taking the place of either Columbus Day or Presidents Day. 

Although for some reason Columbus Day is huge in the east. My wife and I found that out when we were leaf peeping through New Hampshire in October and that weekend everyone in NYC and Boston relocated to the mountains of New Hampshire. All the highways, restaurants, and motels were jammed. We had no clue what the deal was until we asked someone. 

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Although for some reason Columbus Day is huge in the east. My wife and I found that out when we were leaf peeping through New Hampshire in October and that weekend everyone in NYC and Boston relocated to the mountains of New Hampshire. All the highways, restaurants, and motels were jammed. We had no clue what the deal was until we asked someone. 

I take it you’ve never seen the Sopranos?

2 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

I voted NO ...and here's the reason. There are already 10 federal holidays for slacking government workers. Do I get 10 holidays working in the private sector off WITH PAY?  Hell no , I don't. 

Get this, I can take fed holidays off, but in my situation I actually lose money by doing so unless I make up the time.

12 hours ago, bornontheblue said:

Maybe we can swap it out for Columbus Day 🤷‍♂️ 

Yes....We have enough fed holidays.  Even if we were given another, most private companies would take one away.

Not that we would notice fed employees staying home.

5 hours ago, Jackrabbit said:

Yes....We have enough fed holidays.  Even if we were given another, most private companies would take one away.

Not that we would notice fed employees staying home.

The more federal holidays the better. Less damage is done that way.