Bob

Poll: School Reopenings

Poll: School Reopenings  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of schools reopening in the fall?

• I have school age children and am for full school reopenings with no restrictions such as every other day online, social distancing and masks
    • I have school age children and am for school reopenings with restrictions such as masks, every other day online, etc..
    • I have school age children and am against schools reopening.
    • I do not have school age children and am for full school reopenings with no restrictions such as every other day online, social distancing and masks
    • I do not have school age children and am for school reopenings with restrictions such as masks, every other day online, etc..
    • I do not have school age children and am against schools reopening.

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

or just punt and say guess what, in america school begins in January now. That's right. Summer break is just between semesters of the same year. yall got a semester off. 

We could do that with everything. 

So this is the plan for my kid. The district is offering full distance learning for the semester on a set curriculum or in class learning. 2 days a week with the student body split in half. Masks worn at all times except lunch. Students will take a quiz at the end of each period, each day. Those that pass are free to go home after lunch, or stay and continue on. Those that don’t spend the rest of the day with the teacher to get caught up. Students will progress at their own pace, the ones that pass the daily quiz will continue onto the next part of the curriculum regardless of how others fair. If a student falls three days behind in a given subject, they will attend all four days the next week until caught up and the parents feel good about going back to two.

We expect Covid infections. One positive shuts the school down for at least a 14 day quarantine, where a form of the distance learning model will be implemented, only that students will spend every morning from start to lunch zooming with the teacher. Chrome books will be given to all students, and WiFi hotspots are available for all that don’t have them, being free for underprivileged families.

Sounds worth a shot. 

As a poster who doesn't have school age children anymore, I won't pontificate on what I think is best..because I don't know and I am not faced with your dilemma. 

I hope and pray your children will all grow up healthy and happy. You have some very damn tough decisions to make. And not all of you will agree on the best course of action..I sincerely give all of you my support. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 2
On 7/18/2020 at 10:42 AM, soupslam1 said:

The police unions and NEA have both been detrimental to the citizenry. They protect bad cops and bad teachers. 

As a public school teacher I agree with tenure and unions.  Both have kept some amazingly crappy teachers employed.  On the other hand I’m not sure I want some smal town asswipe on the school board etc... firing me because I didn’t play his kid in the jr high b game enough or I disciplined him in my class for being a douchebag.  A double edged sword for sure.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

So this is the plan for my kid. The district is offering full distance learning for the semester on a set curriculum or in class learning. 2 days a week with the student body split in half. Masks worn at all times except lunch. Students will take a quiz at the end of each period, each day. Those that pass are free to go home after lunch, or stay and continue on. Those that don’t spend the rest of the day with the teacher to get caught up. Students will progress at their own pace, the ones that pass the daily quiz will continue onto the next part of the curriculum regardless of how others fair. If a student falls three days behind in a given subject, they will attend all four days the next week until caught up and the parents feel good about going back to two.

We expect Covid infections. One positive shuts the school down for at least a 14 day quarantine, where a form of the distance learning model will be implemented, only that students will spend every morning from start to lunch zooming with the teacher. Chrome books will be given to all students, and WiFi hotspots are available for all that don’t have them, being free for underprivileged families.

Sounds worth a shot. 

Worth a shot but don't get your hopes up.

10 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sounds worth a shot. 

Good luck to you and kids, but I can’t  see how this lasts very long.

• Like 1
On 7/6/2020 at 12:53 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

So she's required to wear a face mask all day while inside at her summer daycare.

I asked my high school principal today that if I take my class outside (which of course I can anytime I want) and we social distance, can they take their masks off? She said no, which wasn't unexpected, but had to try. Will continue to try throughout the year (assuming we stay open which I think we won't).

On 8/5/2020 at 10:42 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sounds worth a shot. 

First case will occur first week.

i guarantee it GIF

I love how the douche bags making the decisions about whether we should open schools prolly don't have school aged children.

Turning our children into Bio Guinea Pigs so they can make a buck.

Priceless

• Facepalm 1
On 8/8/2020 at 3:03 PM, Del Scorcho said:

these styles for back to school shopping are different this year:

PF02293_PRI01_grande.jpeg?v=1458109860

V70kgousihSdUhndChxyie7QMfHJ1GI6N3mdJV3u

That's funny, because we got an email yesterday from our daughter's school about what the kids should be wearing during online classes.  And it specifically mentioned 'no pajamas'.  A bit silly, but whatever.  They also played the 'its the teachers classroom' card, to which I thought 'yeah, but its MY HOUSE'.

• Haha 2
12 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

First day of distance learning for my kid. She has a classmate named Khaleesi...... 

shocked doc rivers GIF

It's not going to end well for her!

• Haha 2

School started for us today and despite Zoom going down for the first few hours everything seemed to go smoothly. It felt great to see all of my students again, but at the same time our attendance numbers were horrible. I had an average of 65% of students in each class login today. Normally it's around 90% while other students are getting their schedules switched around. If the attendance numbers are the same tomorrow then our administration will be making a lot of home visits in the next week.