Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Supreme Court rules Trump administration cannot end DACA

15 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

There will be a lot of ruing from here on forth. If the GOP doesn't think they're gonna have a whole heap of retribution shoved down their throats, they aren't paying attention.

The fact is that DACA is politically popular. Even a lot of conservatives don't necessarily have a problem with it. So while the courts have given a road map to dismantle it, there's not necessarily a way to do it that either will be an overall political loss for the president and/or won't result in legislation that is counter to his desire to dismantle it over the next 4 years if he does win. I don't think the same will necessarily be true with executive orders and executive policy carried out by what would certainly be the only president to be re-elected without the popular vote. 

If Dems win the presidency and get a majority in the Senate (which is possible), it will be gloves-off in ways the Republicans have not seen before. 

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

I agree with the second part. If the first were true, DACA would have been enshrined legislatively by now, instead of left in limbo. The court just made it harder to get rid of an illegal executive order than it is to make one.

The courts have been actively trying to get congress to check the executive branch so they don't have to for the last 3.5 years. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

If Dems win the presidency and get a majority in the Senate (which is possible), it will be gloves-off in ways the Republicans have not seen before. 

And I'll have a hard time feeling much sympathy for them, even if I take issue with the means by which the Democrats seek their retribution. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

14th amendment change or abolition would be required, no?  There hasn't been an amendment about the people for half-a-century, and all the other portions of the 14th make it almost as bulletproof as the 2nd.

Understood

110926run_defense710.jpg

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Their is no point talking about a what if that would require a constitutional change.  Most countries grant citizenship at birth to avoid stateless children.  So the question remains what do you believe should happen to parents of young US citizens?  Do kids have a right to their parents? (yes we make exceptions for criminals paying the debt for their crime.)  Is having a parent around and involved as important as so many on the right claim?

I don't have a solution for that, it is a poop sandwich.  

110926run_defense710.jpg

6 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Sorry, I guess there is no such thing.

There is such a thing. I would say that using that term for the people in question is maybe the single ugliest thing in all of this. 

2 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

So you think Trumps path is correct?

Trump's path is the best path.  And its luxurious.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

31 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

The parents have the choice....go home w or w/o the kid.

In some cases they don’t as the child is a US citizen and especially in the Covid era it isn’t always possible.  But thanks for reminding us your black parent comments are nothing more than a straw man as parents being present doesn’t really mean shit to you.   

5 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Going straight to the 2nd Amendment so that crowd will rush to the voting booth and vote for him.  I am surprised he didn't throw in religious liberty into the bucket also.   

Never one to disappoint on the down side Trump sends out another dog whistle to evangelicals who are determined to turn the Supreme Court into a Christian equivalent of the Guardian Council.

"The recent Supreme Court decisions, not only on DACA, Sanctuary Cities, Census, and others, tell you only one thing, we need NEW JUSTICES of the Supreme Court. If the Radical Left Democrats assume power, your Second Amendment, Right to Life, Secure Borders, and......Religious Liberty, among many other things, are OVER and GONE!" the President tweeted.

37 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

In some cases they don’t as the child is a US citizen and especially in the Covid era it isn’t always possible.  But thanks for reminding us your black parent comments are nothing more than a straw man as parents being present doesn’t really mean shit to you.   

I know this pisses you off....but why is it up to us to correct a problem caused by a parent breaking a law?

Understand that i beleive a path to citizenship should be offered to these kids if they are not already citezens....it the right thing ro do.

The parents who put their family in this situation should be held accountable...i dont know what the right answer is but this crap needs to stop.

Our border should be respected.

38 minutes ago, Jackrabbit said:

I know this pisses you off....but why is it up to us to correct a problem caused by a parent breaking a law?

Understand that i beleive a path to citizenship should be offered to these kids if they are not already citezens....it the right thing ro do.

The parents who put their family in this situation should be held accountable...i dont know what the right answer is but this crap needs to stop.

I mean, pre-DACA weren’t a lot of dreamers knowingly breaking the law by not self deporting? So why do you feel they shouldn’t be “held accountable”? They essentially just waited it out until a president legitimized them, why can’t other undocumented immigrants do the same and just wait it out until a president offers all undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship? 

3 minutes ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I mean, pre-DACA was passed weren’t a lot of dreamers knowingly breaking the law by not self deporting? So why do you feel they shouldn’t be “held accountable”? They essentially just waited it out until a president legitimized them, why can’t other undocumented immigrants do the same and just wait it out until a president offers all undocumented immigrants a path to citizenship? 

Because that would be....AMNESTY!!!  ** shudder **

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Jackrabbit said:

Apparently you remain uneducated and are unwilling to educate yourself which is surprising for all the time you spend on this board.   Many of the people I reference were legal residents.   Yes they broke the law in their youth and paid the societal imposed price at the time.   Now 5-10-15 years later the Trump administration is coming back and deporting them for past sins.   

I bolded and underlined the point for you this time so perhaps it will sink in.   If you are going to make a counter argument at least make it pertinent to the situational facts instead of changing the situation into something that fits your uninformed narrative.