Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Suggestions for UNLV’s new mascot and nickname

19 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

...says the guy that has to pays for sex.

FIFY

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

15 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

There’s no way around the imagery. Nevada and UNLV play for a cannon. The “battle for the cannon“ has also been called the civil war. I---> The Cannon & Civil War reference are fine as long as you keep away from the Stars 'n' Bars & Confederate War Heroes.

One team is red, the other blue. I---> The Union was Blue & the losers were Grey so you're fine there.

But remember Nevada was granted statehood because of the Comstock and the money it generated. I---> #1 - Calif's admission to the Union was accelerated because of it's Gold Rush, yet the Banana Slugs & the Golden Bears don't have any racist ties to their mascots.  

#2 - "Though many believe it was Nevada’s mineral wealth that prompted statehood, what President Abraham Lincoln was really after was votes."  According to Nevada State Archivist Jeff Kintop "The president worried he might need a few more electoral votes, so eight days before the election, Nevada became the 36th state in the Union."

The states motto is battle born. It’s hard to walk back all of that including the Rebel name. I---> No pain no gain. 

I think it’s interesting that all of this isn’t being advanced by the black community in Vegas, but the Native American community.  I---> Fascinating

The Indian wars in Nevada were waged by soldiers? Wasn’t Kit Carson a soldier? If that’s the case, does the cannon survive?

And to be honest, if one community in Nevada should have a beef with the government, that’d be my pick. I---> ¿Gov't?  The Feds are sitting this one out.  This is all about the Grassroots.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/when-it-comes-to-nevadas-state-motto-confusion-is-born/

3 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I don’t, and I’ll record it next time and send it to you.  And your wife will say to you that she wishes you +++++ed her like I +++++.

That will be quite the feat, considering my wife died years ago. But hey, maybe a couple of my ex girlfriends would like to see.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

On 6/20/2020 at 4:40 PM, GoState99755 said:

Way to cherry pick your "real history,"  At one point you mascot was a Confederate Officer, that was named Beauregard after a confederate General & wore the Stars & Bars.  Y'all had the Stars & Bars on you helmet at one pt.  How is this not "real history."

You can try & sanitize it all you want, but you can't walk that shit back.  Sometimes you have to wipe the slate clean & start over again.

You forget to mention that both were gone by 1976. 44 Years have past since then. The mascot wasn't an officer that wore the stars and bars. It was a wolf in a grey uniform. You don't even know the history stupid. Hey Reb was created in 1982. The head of the diversity program at UNLV wrote a 60 page report detailing how the current mascot and the name are not racist. That's the history you idiot. 

On 6/20/2020 at 4:46 PM, GoState99755 said:

"Real history" is whatever fits @Rebelbacker's narrative.  He choses to ignore the damning history of the UNLV mascot & use to the Stars 'n' Bars.

No matter how much you try to sanitize the rebel mascot, you can't undo it's ties to the past.

You mascot's history is the problem...not the argument for its redemption.

I chose to forget nothing. I never denied the original mascot or the helmet. Again both were gone by 1976. They were wrong and they were rightfully changed.  Hey Reb has been around for 36 years and this battle has already been fought before. UNLV is the most diverse campus in the country. We moved past this long ago.

Not surprising this all goes over your head. 

22 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

"The SilverBacks"... Pays homage to the silver mining in the state. Also a mascot would a really muscular gorilla!

@thelawlorfaithful would like to have words with you. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 minutes ago, mugtang said:

@thelawlorfaithful would like to have words with you. 

My only words with the little sisters from the south is don’t be pussies. You’re rebels, always were and always will be. On that line hold firm. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Ole Miss is dropping the Rebel name. 

https://thedmonline.com/ole-miss-esports-becomes-first-university-team-to-drop-rebels/

UNLV won't be far behind.

ReddddddBulllllllssssssss.....

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

ReddddddBulllllllssssssss.....

It's just the Esports.  Not the entire U.  For now anyway.

Personally,  all Rebel bashing aside, I think you guys have done enough to correct your past errors.  But it's probably not enough.  If you want corporate sponsors, you must be PC.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

12 hours ago, Rebelbacker said:

You forget to mention that both were gone by 1976. 44 Years have past since then. The mascot wasn't an officer that wore the stars and bars. It was a wolf in a grey uniform. You don't even know the history stupid. Hey Reb was created in 1982. The head of the diversity program at UNLV wrote a 60 page report detailing how the current mascot and the name are not racist. That's the history you idiot. 

I chose to forget nothing. I never denied the original mascot or the helmet. Again both were gone by 1976. They were wrong and they were rightfully changed.  Hey Reb has been around for 36 years and this battle has already been fought before. UNLV is the most diverse campus in the country. We moved past this long ago.

Not surprising this all goes over your head. 

It doesn't really matter that you dropped all blatant, confederate imagery.  You still call yourselves "Rebels."  Until you change that name, your school will have to defend the name.  No school should have to do that. 

High schools all over the country are dropping that name.  Ole Miss dropped the name from their Esports.   You have former players like Reggie T calling for a change.  It's just a matter of time before you are called something else. The only question is whether or not you do it before the fall term. 

Even Eskimo Pies is changing their name.  The writing is on the wall. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

I see where SJSU is now eliminating the “Spartan Up” hand gesture.

When will it end?

Obvious  examples of anti-p.c. from each Mountain West school:

UNLV:  Southern Nevada’s amazing associated with good ol’ Dixie. Ignore the whole UNR separation thing.

SJSU:  somehow connected with Australia murderer Brenton Tarrant. Ignore the whole Spartan band director creating a cool symbol for fans.

Could there be more Mountain West school anti-p.c. roadkill?

Is your school next?

CANCEL CULTURE: when critics suddenly see something they find distasteful and demand that it be changed NOW with no regard to the true meaning.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:57 AM, Aslowhiteguy said:

If it's true your first mascot wore confederate clothing, then this 'no confederate connection' stuff doesn't pass the smell test.

Don't forget the Tennessee Battle Flag/Navy Jack on Nevada Southern's helmet during the 1968-season.  That early mascot you referenced also had the flag on it's hat too.

On 6/19/2020 at 6:14 PM, ph90702 said:

Part of Arizona was given to Nevada as punishment for them supporting the Confederacy.

No part of the State o’ Arizona was given to Nevada:

1864 - Nevada joined the Union 

1912 - Arizona joined the Union 

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Wrong!

8E5C54A7-9FE8-4282-8F36-228EF9312935.png

He's technically correct, it was the territory of Arizona not the state.

I always find it interesting as well, that the original border between Arizona and New Mexico was horizontal instead of vertical.

12 hours ago, bigd said:

He's technically correct, it was the territory of Arizona not the state.

I always find it interesting as well, that the original border between Arizona and New Mexico was horizontal instead of vertical.

Interesting also that most of Clark County, NV was part of New Mexico Territory up until 1863 when Congress switched that border to vertical.

The "Confederates" in the Arizona Territory were almost entirely in Tucson and Nevada ended up claiming the area west of the Colorado River when things leveled out.

Wpdms_arizona_territory_1860_idx.png

Nevada_Territory_in_1861.svg.png

Wpdms_new_mexico_territory_1866.png