Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Suggestions for UNLV’s new mascot and nickname

2 hours ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That report was nothing but an attempt to deflect from UNLV's past decision to align themselves with Confederate symbolism.

Las Vegas is located in what was once the Confederate AZ territory.  That's not their fault, but their decision to name themselves the Rebels, name their first mascot, Beauregard, after a Confederate General, and dress him up in Confederate clothing, is certainly aligning yourself with the Confederates. That cannot be explained away by attributing it to "immaturity."

You can't hide from your past history, or even revise it, with a bullshit "study" and report.  UNLV made the decision to embrace confederate symbolism. 

A Confederate Flag was on their helmets at one point. Pretty sure you’ll never see that throwback uni. 😬

8 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

A Confederate Flag was on their helmets at one point. Pretty sure you’ll never see that throwback uni. 😬

Might as well start calling them the Runnin' Racists.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

Keep the Rebel name.

Our campus is made of a racially diverse group and we take pride in that fact.

Las Vegas has always been very different than other cities.

UNLV’s Rebel is as connected to the 1860 Southern states as a Wildcat or a Golden Bear. It’s that simple.

If you look hard enough, you can find racism in just about anything.

Honor OUR past to gain independence from UNR.

Keep the Rebels..., REBELS!

On 6/17/2020 at 11:14 AM, ph90702 said:

UNLV Neon.  That’s what they should’ve done from the beginning.  It would be like Florida State having the Seminoles nickname, Oklahoma having the Sooners nickname, or Utah having the Utes nickname.  All three of those are Native American, but they are specific to their area.

"Sooners" were not "Native Americans."  They were the first sellers, that arrived soon enough to get the free land the gov't was doling out.  Hence the covered wagon they roll out onto the field.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:42 PM, mugtang said:

Congrats guys.  Looks like many of your suggestions were used in Chris Murray’s article..

http://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/some-suggestions-for-unlvs-new-nickname-if-it-parts-ways-with-rebels

I disagree w/the author that "Las Vegas has the world's most famous skyline."  I have a feeling Manhattan, NYC might have something to say about that.

My #2 choice is the UNLV Hookers.  However even that title has it's roots in the Civil War.

#3 - Cannons

=======================

EDIT:  #1 - Flamingos.  Here comes the Runnin' Flamingos talking the court in Hilton Cntr.

On 6/17/2020 at 5:31 PM, NevadaFan said:

This isn’t a new thing. Arguably the best school in the country went a decade without a mascot. And many schools have undergone change at one time or another. 

https://gostanford.com/sports/2013/4/17/208445366.aspx

I'd argue they still don't have a mascot.  Can a color be a mascot?  It's just a place holder.

There's NO WAY S'ford is "...the best school in the country!"  

¡GO CAL GOLDEN BEARS!

4 hours ago, Jalex4141 said:

Gamblers. 

That's fine for a pro team, but a university would never accept it.

Then again, I think they should be the UNLV Hookers.

3 hours ago, EZRebel said:

UNLV’s Rebel is as connected to the 1860 Southern states as a Wildcat or a Golden Bear. It’s that simple.  I---> ¿WHAT?

If you look hard enough, you can find racism in just about anything.   I--->  Okay...what's racist about a CSU Ram? 

Honor OUR past to gain independence from UNR.   I--->  You lost that right when you put the Stars 'n' Bars on his hat, named him Beauregard & put the Stars 'n' Bars on your f'ball helmet.

Keep the Rebels..., REBELS!

On 6/17/2020 at 5:40 PM, rebelcuff said:

I am talking about how ridiculous it is to be so PC. How is it racist?

He's Confederate Officer, that was named Beauregard after a confederate General & wore the Stars & Bars.  Y'all had the Stars & Bars on you helmet at one pt.  You can try & sanitize it all you want, but you can't walk that shit back.  Sometimes you have to wipe the slate clean & start over again.

On 6/18/2020 at 5:27 AM, TheJackel said:

Wombats

Flamingos

platypuses -platypi? 

chupacabras

jackalopes

We got a winner.  The UNLV Flamingos

5 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

He's Confederate Officer, that was named Beauregard after a confederate General & wore the Stars & Bars.  Y'all had the Stars & Bars on you helmet at one pt.  You can try & sanitize it all you want, but you can't walk that shit back.  Sometimes you have to wipe the slate clean & start over again.

That is why they got rid of that mascot and got Hey Reb. How is the current version of Hey Reb racist?

11 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

4 minutes ago, rebelcuff said:

That is why they got rid of that mascot and got Hey Reb. How is the current version of Hey Reb racist?

¿What's the name of the vacuum you live in @rebelcuff?

I guess you missed my last two sentences before.  Here goes again:

"You can try & sanitize it all you want, but you can't walk that shit back.  Sometimes you have to wipe the slate clean & start over again."

On 6/18/2020 at 1:49 PM, Rebelbacker said:

There isn't a need to change the name. We already went through this in 2015 and UNLV's diversity director already stated in that 60 page report there was no tie to racism. It doesn't need to be rebranded. If people actually looked at the origins of the name they'd know the real history. Instead they don't and believe what they want to.

I'm under no illusions that UNLV will not cave to the mob eventually. Our leadership stinks. Adults should just tell these children enough is enough. 

Way to cherry pick your "real history,"  At one point you mascot was a Confederate Officer, that was named Beauregard after a confederate General & wore the Stars & Bars.  Y'all had the Stars & Bars on you helmet at one pt.  How is this not "real history."

You can try & sanitize it all you want, but you can't walk that shit back.  Sometimes you have to wipe the slate clean & start over again.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:49 PM, Rebelbacker said:

There isn't a need to change the name. We already went through this in 2015 and UNLV's diversity director already stated in that 60 page report there was no tie to racism. It doesn't need to be rebranded. If people actually looked at the origins of the name they'd know the real history. Instead they don't and believe what they want to.

I'm under no illusions that UNLV will not cave to the mob eventually. Our leadership stinks. Adults should just tell these children enough is enough. 

On 6/18/2020 at 2:22 PM, Aslowhiteguy said:

What is the real history?  I was always under the impression UNLV's 'Rebel' name came from the fact that southern NV was part of the confederate, Arizona territory.  

The word,'Rebel' isn't necessarily a racist term, but it does have ties to the confederacy.  

PC bullshit or not, you might as well change the name now, since it's only a matter of time until you do. 

"Real history" is whatever fits @Rebelbacker's narrative.  He choses to ignore the damning history of the UNLV mascot & use to the Stars 'n' Bars.

No matter how much you try to sanitize the rebel mascot, you can't undo it's ties to the past.

You mascot's history is the problem...not the argument for its redemption.