Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Suggestions for UNLV’s new mascot and nickname

I think there's a slight chance to keep the Rebels name, but it will have to be rebranded so distinctly and thoroughly away from any confederate or southern meaning that it becomes anti-confederate. Like Rosa Parks was the definition of a Rebel, was she not? I'm not suggesting the mascot be Rosa Parks but you get my drift. 

@youngrebelfan40

Can you think of any name or image associated with a rebellious group of civil rights leaders or black military civil war units, beside the black panthers (I don't think that would fly, lol) etc.

There isn't a need to change the name. We already went through this in 2015 and UNLV's diversity director already stated in that 60 page report there was no tie to racism. It doesn't need to be rebranded. If people actually looked at the origins of the name they'd know the real history. Instead they don't and believe what they want to.

I'm under no illusions that UNLV will not cave to the mob eventually. Our leadership stinks. Adults should just tell these children enough is enough. 

27 minutes ago, Rebelbacker said:

There isn't a need to change the name. We already went through this in 2015 and UNLV's diversity director already stated in that 60 page report there was no tie to racism. It doesn't need to be rebranded. If people actually looked at the origins of the name they'd know the real history. Instead they don't and believe what they want to.

I'm under no illusions that UNLV will not cave to the mob eventually. Our leadership stinks. Adults should just tell these children enough is enough. 

What is the real history?  I was always under the impression UNLV's 'Rebel' name came from the fact that southern NV was part of the confederate, Arizona territory.  

The word,'Rebel' isn't necessarily a racist term, but it does have ties to the confederacy.  

PC bullshit or not, you might as well change the name now, since it's only a matter of time until you do. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

20 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What is the real history?  I was always under the impression UNLV's 'Rebel' name came from the fact that southern NV was part of the confederate, Arizona territory.  

The word,'Rebel' isn't necessarily a racist term, but it does have ties to the confederacy.  

PC bullshit or not, you might as well change the name now, since it's only a matter of time until you do. 

Here you can read it for yourself 

https://www.unlv.edu/sites/default/files/assets/diversityinitiatives/reports/UNLV_Rebels_and_Mascot_Report_Nov2015.pdf

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

6 hours ago, Del Scorcho said:

I like the desert themed mascots - vipers, scorpions, etc.

Nevada State already took the Scorpions.

I bet they add athletics before too long, and could eventually be a decent addition to the WAC. They're one of the fastest growing schools in the country. It was founded in 2002 and already has more than 5,500 students with their first dorms opening this fall.

1 hour ago, Rebelbacker said:

From the first paragraph:

I have concluded that there is no reason for eliminating either the Rebels nickname or the Hey Reb! mascotdue to any Confederate connection. In other words, neither the Rebels nickname nor Hey Reb! have a Confederate connection. The remainder of this report shall explain and expand upon those two conclusions.

UNLV removes Hey Reb! statue | Nevada Current

Obviously the 60 page report was a waste of time, because 2020 doesn't care what it thinks.

51 minutes ago, bigd said:

Nevada State already took the Scorpions.

I bet they add athletics before too long, and could eventually be a decent addition to the WAC. They're one of the fastest growing schools in the country. It was founded in 2002 and already has more than 5,500 students with their first dorms opening this fall.

Nevada State College is a giant waste of money.

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Nevada State College is a giant waste of money.

I used to agree with you, particularly during the recession when budgets were so tight.

But it is good to have a such a low cost option in the state that caters to nurses and teachers. Particularly in a state with such poor education at all levels. It serves a nice niche, and I would think it would help UNLV in the long run.