Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Supreme Court rules existing civil rights law protects gay and lesbian workers

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled Monday that existing federal law forbids job discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, a major victory for advocates of gay rights — and a surprising one from an increasingly conservative court.

The decision said Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which makes it illegal for employers to discriminate because of a person's sex, among other factors, also covers sexual orientation. It upheld rulings from lower courts that said sexual orientation discrimination was a form of sex discrimination.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-existing-civil-rights-law-protects-gay-lesbian-n1231018

Gorsuch wrote the majority opinion, with Roberts, Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor, and Kagan all ruling with him. Kavanaugh, Alito, and Thomas dissented. 

Good thing that ruling came now.  If Trump wins in November and appoints 2 new extreme right judges to replace Ginsberg 87 and Breyer 81 that becomes a 5-4 decision the other way.  

we are very close to our lives being run by the Christian Right wing extremists. 

Gorsuch is a Trump appointee, it should be noted.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

9 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yes his first one....   he was being more moderate as the majority had not been decided.   Since then the changes have been vast...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/28/donald-trump-judges-create-new-conservative-america-republicans

Not really, and also besides the point.  Gorsuch was like-for-like in replacing Scalia.  Both are/were conservative 'originalists'.  A statistical analysis of his past cases put him alongside Alito.  And up until now he's played to type.  Which IS the point - Presidents dont always get what they think they are getting in SCOTUS nominees.   Also the case with Roberts.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, RSF said:

Not really, and also besides the point.  Gorsuch was like-for-like in replacing Scalia.  Both are/were conservative 'originalists'.  A statistical analysis of his past cases put him alongside Alito.  And up until now he's played to type.  Which IS the point - Presidents dont always get what they think they are getting in SCOTUS nominees.   Also the case with Roberts.

Gorsuch was never an extremist.  He was approved 54-45. 

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Good thing that ruling came now.  If Trump wins in November and appoints 2 new extreme right judges to replace Ginsberg 87 and Breyer 81 that becomes a 5-4 decision the other way.  

we are very close to our lives being run by the Christian Right wing extremists. 

Bingo. I'm shocked - SHOCKED! - that three justices who are essentially Born Again Christians dissented in this case. That's particularly so of Thomas, who continues to make Thurgood Marshall roll over in his grave.

But you might be off base on your final comment. I'm not predicting it will happen but it is within the realm of possibility that Mr. Grumpy will be reelected but the Dems will gain control of the Senate. If that happens one thing which is a likely is that Trump's next staunch Christian conservative appointee to SCOTUS will have a confirmation hearing just as contentious as the Kavanaugh mess. However, that person won't be confirmed.

3 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Bingo. I'm shocked - SHOCKED! - that three justices who are essentially Born Again Christians dissented in this case. That's particularly so of Thomas, who continues to make Thurgood Marshall roll over in his grave.

But you might be off base on your final comment. I'm not predicting it will happen but it is within the realm of possibility that Mr. Grumpy will be reelected but the Dems will gain control of the Senate. If that happens one thing which is a likely is that Trump's next staunch Christian conservative appointee to SCOTUS will have a confirmation hearing just as contentious as the Kavanaugh mess. However, that person won't be confirmed.

Well anything is possible but if Trump wins it means the conservative turnout is enough that at least one of the key Senate races goes Republican and remember the Dems would need 5 wins to overcome the VP vote.   

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

Well anything is possible but if Trump wins it means the conservative turnout is enough that at least one of the key Senate races goes Republican and remember the Dems would need 5 wins to overcome the VP vote.   

I get that. However, IF Trump wins, it's going to be because he once again loses the popular vote but gains the presidency through the archaic Electoral College, an entity which, like the two-party system, served our country well for nigh-on to a century and a half but which is not a good fit in this millennium. How many senate seats now held by Republicans are up for grabs in the swing states?

31 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I get that. However, IF Trump wins, it's going to be because he once again loses the popular vote but gains the presidency through the archaic Electoral College, an entity which, like the two-party system, served our country well for nigh-on to a century and a half but which is not a good fit in this millennium. How many senate seats now held by Republicans are up for grabs in the swing states?

AZ, North Carolina, Nevada, and Colorado.  If Trump wins he will likely coattail the Senator from at least one of these states.  

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

AZ, North Carolina, Nevada, and Colorado.  If Trump wins he will likely coattail the Senator from at least one of these states.  

Can't recall his name but from what I've heard, the guy from Colorado is toast. Similarly, I can't believe that any Republican can win a statewide election in Nevada this year unless he or she comes up against a totally lame Democratic candidate. I know nothing about NC but although that AZ race is supposedly very close and although AZ is no longer far right politically, it continues to defy the leftward movement of Western states not named Utah and Idaho. Thanks for pointing them out.

7 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Can't recall his name but from what I've heard, the guy from Colorado is toast. Similarly, I can't believe that any Republican can win a statewide election in Nevada this year unless he or she comes up against a totally lame Democratic candidate. I know nothing about NC but although that AZ race is supposedly very close and although AZ is no longer far right politically, it continues to defy the leftward movement of Western states not named Utah and Idaho. Thanks for pointing them out.

Cory Gardner (R) is the incumbent from Colorado and he’d lose big if the election was today. He’s going against former 2 term governor John Hickenlooper (D) who is a moderate. I think Hickenlooper wins in November.

2 minutes ago, RamSack said:

He’s also from Boulder which is the most liberal city in Colorado. 

Great point. A "conservative" from a place like that can be akin to a "liberal" from one of the Dakotas and a "progressive" from Mississippi.

7 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

He was filibustered for supposedly being an extremist.

Everybody is an extremist to somebody in congress. Gorsuch didn't face that much pushback. Let's not pretend he did. If anything, any pushback was sour grapes over McConnell's move to prevent Obama from getting his nominee in there combined with general holdover from past partisanship.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

36 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Tillis (NC) is deeply unpopular here, and that race is a toss-up right now. 

Mark Kelly (AZ) is up big on McSally right now according to most polling coming out of there. He's Gabby Giffords' husband, and a former Astronaut.