Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Unification Poll AAC MWC

National Conference Unification AAC cut  

85 members have voted

1. 1. National Conference Unification AAC cut

• Central Florida
    • Cincinnati
    • East Carolina
    • Houston
    • Memphis
    • Navy all in
    • South Florida
    • Southern Methodist
    • Temple
    • Tulane
    • Tulsa
  2. 2. On the MWC Side

• Air Force
    • Boise State
    • Colorado State
    • Fresno State
    • Hawai'i all in
    • New Mexico
    • Nevada
    • San Diego State
    • San Jose State
    • Utah State
    • UNLV
    • Wyoming

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

that sounds pretty reasonable but they won't vote out teams like WSU or OSU nor will they truly 'merge'. I could see PAC as being the first to go to 16. Nebraska and Mizzou are 'in too deep' to come back IMHO. (7+1 all the way)

PAC West: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, WSU, OSU

PAC East: Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Kansas, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State

new Big XII: Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas State, WVU, Houston, SMU, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF

AAC: Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, Temple, Marshall, FAU, FIU, USM, UAB, La Tech + WSU Olympic sports.

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Not bad.

WSU ?  Wyoming State University ? 😆

Baylor has proven they have the Political pull to make the New Pac/Tex merger. So, Kansas or Arizona are probably out. Besides, in fb, they are zero revenue and eyeball schools.

yeah, I should have differentiated between Oregon State, Washington State, and Wichita State but I got lazy.

what I listed would be my proffered end result of realignment but I'm sure It'll probably never happen.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Here's some info for you to make "objective" calls on who should be in the merged conference.

1. BYU is clearly the No. 1 G5 program by any measure.
2. SDSU/Memphis/Cincinnati are similarly strong in both football and basketball -  even though Cincy/SDSU have much higher enrollment. 
3. It's also pretty clear that the AAC does better with football attendance, and total overall revenue.
4. MWC has the edge in basketball with three somewhat poor football schools having good attendance numbers (Nev, UNLV, NM)

Surprises (to me):
1. East Carolina outpaces Boise State in almost all measures (they are both terrible at basketball).
2. SMU, Temple, and Houston have some rich alums helping them out quite a bit!
3. UCF has some strong revenue numbers as well. 

Notes: Found AFA revenue numbers from different source and cut/pasted them into Navy's (which I couldn't find). 2/3 of their revenue is the Federal Government.

image.png.1bf95ccf9eed218668dec65cd1285bcd.png

While BYU would still be my top pick for aac conference expansion In 2020 they seem to be on an island that’s floating away to obscurity.  They’re never going to P5, it would’ve happened by now if it was going to happen.  Their on the field/court performance has waned over the last decade in addition to less notoriety overall.

Are you basing your rankings on revenue only? I’ve seen that chart before and don’t think it’s entirely up to date.

ECU wouldn’t surprise you if you knew much about them.  They’ve taken longer to adjust to aac competition than any other upgrade they’ve had in their rise but make no mistake they are one of the more ‘power conference’ ready schools in the g5.  

I feel like it’s an obvious statement but also unpopular here, but UCF is by far the most ‘shoe in’ for the best of rest conference.  It’s not even about performance, which has been good across the board.

11 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

Here's some info for you to make "objective" calls on who should be in the merged conference.

1. BYU is clearly the No. 1 G5 program by any measure.
2. SDSU/Memphis/Cincinnati are similarly strong in both football and basketball -  even though Cincy/SDSU have much higher enrollment. 
3. It's also pretty clear that the AAC does better with football attendance, and total overall revenue.
4. MWC has the edge in basketball with three somewhat poor football schools having good attendance numbers (Nev, UNLV, NM)

Surprises (to me):
1. East Carolina outpaces Boise State in almost all measures (they are both terrible at basketball).
2. SMU, Temple, and Houston have some rich alums helping them out quite a bit!
3. UCF has some strong revenue numbers as well. 

Notes: Found AFA revenue numbers from different source and cut/pasted them into Navy's (which I couldn't find). 2/3 of their revenue is the Federal Government.

image.png.1bf95ccf9eed218668dec65cd1285bcd.png

Interesting data.  Based on this chart I might adjust 

MWC Side Basketball conference (9 Football Bolded)

Western 6

SDSUFresno StateUNLV, Gonzaga, Hawaii/St. Mary’s

Mountain 6

BYUColorado State, Air Force/New Mexico State, New Mexico, Boise State, Wichita State

AAC Side Basketball Conference (9 Football Bolded) 

SEC 6

ECU, Houston, SMU, UCF, USF, Navy/Tulsa

Atlantic 6

Temple, Cincinnati, VCU, Dayton, Rhode Island, Memphis

* Cross over games are 4 at MWC Site, 4 at AAC Site.  SDSU/Fresno, SMU/Houston, UCF/USF,  Hawaii/Vegas always are Home/Away.   

* the only permanent cross over game would be Air Force versus Navy which would always be played on Veterans Day weekend.  Last cross over game and acts as tie breaker 

* Any AAC trips to Hawaii/Las Vegas will always fall on Thanksgiving weekend.  

* Football Conference Champion of whichever side wins best of 9 crossover game gets to host Championship

* basketball plays Home and Home versus local 6 (10 games) and Home/Away (6 games) versus same side 6

“killing me to exclude Nevada but Nevada it too small a state to have 2 teams.  :-( “

Time Zone Slots (for ESPN/Fox)

AAC side:  12:00 pm Eastern, 3:30 pm Eastern,  7:00 pm Eastern 

MWC side:  3:30 pm Eastern, 7:00 pm Eastern, 10:30 pm Eastern, 1:00 am Eastern (Hawaii) 

7 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

While BYU would still be my top pick for aac conference expansion In 2020 they seem to be on an island that’s floating away to obscurity.  They’re never going to P5, it would’ve happened by now if it was going to happen. 

In the age of #MeToo and BLM,  BYU is likely to get pressure to change the university's name before even any G5 conference will consider them now.

The landscape is changing... take it from me, @Bleed<expletive-deleted>Red