Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Unification Poll AAC MWC

National Conference Unification AAC cut  

85 members have voted

1. 1. National Conference Unification AAC cut

• Central Florida
    • Cincinnati
    • East Carolina
    • Houston
    • Memphis
    • Navy all in
    • South Florida
    • Southern Methodist
    • Temple
    • Tulane
    • Tulsa
  2. 2. On the MWC Side

• Air Force
    • Boise State
    • Colorado State
    • Fresno State
    • Hawai'i all in
    • New Mexico
    • Nevada
    • San Diego State
    • San Jose State
    • Utah State
    • UNLV
    • Wyoming

9 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

Ames, Iowa.  Manhattan, Kansas.  Morgantown, West Virginia.

No thanks, unless couch burning is acceptable again.

Laramie Wy, Honolulu (travel and Sunday a.m. Kick times),  Logan Ut,  Co Springs, and Fresno ain't easy to get to either.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 6/15/2020 at 9:58 AM, 1IvyDog said:

I’m not an insider but have been fortunate to have been able to talk to  a couple of media executives and the consensus was for a national conference to receive a lucrative media deal, the combined conference would need 16-18 members with at least 4 in each time zone.  This would give the media company content for all slots in each time zone for streaming, regional, national and network coverage.  Also the league would need to provide the following sports as revenue generators for TV:

Football, Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Men’s and Women’s Hockey, Baseball, Softball and Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse. The other sports are nice for content fillers but not major advertising dollars.  So with that said we should be able to pick a strong 16-18 teams

The way to structure this is 18 for football with two divisions of nine.   You play 1 cross over game cross division for football and for all other sports you play 12 within your conference side but home and home your local six teams.   

Mountain West Side Basketball Conference (Football bolded)

Western 6

SDSU, Fresno State, UNLV, Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, Boise State

Mountain 6

BYU, Utah State, Colorado State, Air Force/New Mexico State, New Mexico, Wichita State

AAC Side Basketball Conference (9 Football Bolded) 

SEC 6

SMU, Houston, Tulane, UCF, USF, Navy/Tulsa

Atlantic 6

Temple, Cincinnati, VCU, Dayton, Rhode Island, Memphis

On 6/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Some information about the stuff you mentioned has come out recently.  First of all, the average will go up overall because the aac ended up retaining UConn’s portion minus about 20% for loss of basketball, but it also increases the original number of games expected to be on linear tv ( fewer ESPN+ games) in the process. Also, ESPN has more linear available due to developments with other conferences leaving the ESPN platform (Mw).  The average will be around 7.4 million base revenue per year now.  But more importantly there’s going to be more linear programming, particularly in basketball than originally thought.  Second thing is that it was announced the first year base revenue for the new deal will be only 3.5 million/year.  While this is significant for mw folks because it means the first year will be quite low for aac (and equitable to mw) it is also significant for the team’s still in the aac 8 years from now because the escalation will bring the base revenue to 10 million/year and more, which is a number MW will never see, and set the groundwork for the aac’s follow up contract to set further separation.  Finally, I mentioned base revenue above because this year’s $ dispersal from the conference to the UCF board was made known during the last meeting.  This is where I heard about the UConn discussions as it relates to the media deal by the way...any way, this year the base revenue from the aac to UCF was 2 million.  However, the AAC paid UCF 7.4 million this year (it was 7.2 million last year).  Relative to base revenue those are significant numbers.  So while the base numbers are one thing, actual dispersals are another.  Of course if another conference starts pulling in multiple tournament teams and ny6 Bowls and higher viewership annually then I’m  sure similar increases are possible there as well.  It does need to happen soon though because the separation is real.

It’s smart not to get into production cost because it was shown to be negligible and even more so now.  

Those available slots are 7:00 pm or worse 7:30 pm Pacific games which are not slots the AAC could ever fill.   

31 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Another variation on the theme. 

Western 6

SDSU, Fresno State, UNLV, Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, Hawaii/UCI

Mountain 6

BYU, Colorado State, Air Force/New Mexico, Boise State, Nevada

SEC 6

SMU, Houston, Tulane, UCF, USF, Navy/Wichita State

Atlantic 6

32 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

The way to structure this is 18 for football with two divisions of nine.   You play 1 cross over game cross division for football and for all other sports you play 12 within your conference side but home and home your local six teams.   

Western 6

SDSU, Fresno State, UNLV, Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, Boise State

Mountain 6

BYU, Utah State, Colorado State, Air Force/New Mexico State, New Mexico, Wichita State

SEC 6

SMU, Houston, Tulane, UCF, USF, Navy/Tulsa

Atlantic 6

Nice.

Creative outside of the box thinking. But it's still a, meh, G5 Conference.

To be the P6, I feel you need to pull in the 10 best fb schools with strong fanbases.

AAC Division:

UCF, USF, Cincy, Memphis, and Houston.

MW Division: 

Spaztecs, Fresno, Blase St,  BY-Who and ???.

12 teams Conference

East Temple, Navy, UCF, USF, Cincy, Memphis

West: AFA, Suds, Blase St, YBU, Houston, Fresno.

Nine game conference schedule.

All kickoffs for east/west matchups must occur between 4 and 7 pm Eastern Time to accommodate coastal audiences.  Just as East Coast fans will not and cannot watch a 10pm kick from Fresno, West Coast fans aren't down with 10 am kickoffs for East Coast games. 

We haven't started mixing our Bloody Marys that early in the morning.

Americans Mayor

16 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

that's exactly what will happen. Texas/Oklahoma join the PAC-14 leaving the Big XII scrambling for 4 new members.

No.  If something happens between the PAC and the Big 12 it will be a merger of some sort with most likely 16 teams.   

Pac side is pretty set: 

USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona or Arizona State

the Texas side is a bit murkier:

Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas are locks...   Texas Tech is a near lock 

from their they try to poach Nebraska or Missouri back 

otherwise it’s a battle for Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, TCU and Houston 

my bet is 

Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska

the key question is do you play 8 or 9 games?  8 (7 plus 1 is better for records) but that may not matter as 4 would still get in. I would guess they go 7-2 which would guarantee a game in Texas or CA every 2 years for cross overs.

4 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

We had 9:55 tipoffs for basketball last season so I think that many schools are ok with the late tip.

Football games are longer and would end after the bars close.  No way a 1:30 am game end (at best) is acceptable 

22 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Nice.

Creative outside of the box thinking. But it's still a, meh, G5 Conference.

To be the P6, I feel you need to pull in the 10 best fb schools with strong fanbases.

AAC Division:

UCF, USF, Cincy, Memphis, and Houston.

MW Division: 

Spaztecs, Fresno, Blase St,  BY-Who and ???.

12 teams Conference

East Temple, Navy, UCF, USF, Cincy, Memphis

West: AFA, Suds, Blase St, YBU, Houston, Fresno.

Nine game conference schedule.

All kickoffs for east/west matchups must occur between 4 and 7 pm Eastern Time to accommodate coastal audiences.  Just as East Coast fans will not and cannot watch a 10pm kick from Fresno, West Coast fans aren't down with 10 am kickoffs for East Coast games. 

We haven't started mixing our Bloody Marys that early in the morning.

It’s possible you could do 6 on a side but I think you miss out on two many markets.  Having 1 or 2 bottom feeders doesn’t matter.  Hell the SEC has plenty.  

so fine you go to 14 teams but you have to bring in markets 

West: Boise, BYU, SDSU, Fresno, Colorado State, UNLV, Air Force

East: UCF, USF, Temple, Navy, Memphis, Houston, SMU

in either case for basketball and other sports you have to split into two unique conferences of 10-12.   The more you reduce travel and can bus the better.   

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

We had 9:55 tipoffs for basketball last season so I think that many schools are ok with the late tip.

There you go again....

Trying to think.  Always ends badly for you.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Football games are longer and would end after the bars close.  No way a 1:30 am game end (at best) is acceptable 

Football isn’t affected, they already have dedicated linear times.  The benefit comes from basketball where there’s espn+ games that can be televised now.

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

No.  If something happens between the PAC and the Big 12 it will be a merger of some sort with most likely 16 teams.   

Pac side is pretty set: 

USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Arizona or Arizona State

the Texas side is a bit murkier:

Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas are locks...   Texas Tech is a near lock 

from their they try to poach Nebraska or Missouri back 

otherwise it’s a battle for Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma State, TCU and Houston 

my bet is 

Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska

the key question is do you play 8 or 9 games?  8 (7 plus 1 is better for records) but that may not matter as 4 would still get in. I would guess they go 7-2 which would guarantee a game in Texas or CA every 2 years for cross overs.

that sounds pretty reasonable but they won't vote out teams like WSU or OSU nor will they truly 'merge'. I could see PAC as being the first to go to 16. Nebraska and Mizzou are 'in too deep' to come back IMHO. (7+1 all the way)

PAC West: USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, WSU, OSU

PAC East: Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Kansas, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State

new Big XII: Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas State, WVU, Houston, SMU, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF

AAC: Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, Temple, Marshall, FAU, FIU, USM, UAB, La Tech + WSU Olympic sports.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

UCF had 1 9pm start.  Against Miami.  No 10pm starts.

There you go again...

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

17 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

that sounds pretty reasonable but they won't vote out teams like WSU or OSU nor will they truly 'merge'. I could see PAC as being the first to go to 16. Nebraska and Mizzou are 'in too deep' to come back IMHO. (7+1 all the way)

PAC East: Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Colorado, Kansas, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State

new Big XII: Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Kansas State, WVU, Houston, SMU, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, USF

AAC: Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, Temple, Marshall, FAU, FIU, USM, UAB, La Tech + WSU Olympic sports.

Not bad.

WSU ?  Wyoming State University ? 😆

Baylor has proven they have the Political pull to make the New Pac/Tex merger. So, Kansas or Arizona are probably out. Besides, in fb, they are zero revenue and eyeball schools.

Americans Mayor

32 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Baylor has proven they have the Political pull to make the New Pac/Tex merger. So, Kansas or Arizona are probably out. Besides, in fb, they are zero revenue and eyeball schools.

Negative.  Had the Pac 16 come to fruition, Baylor would have been left out - Tech held the last spot. And now they have their new reputation to deal with.  And all of the pull that got them into the B12 is long gone.  The political hierarchy these days doesnt give a shit about Baylor.  These days, Tech and TCU both have more representation among the leadership.

and, for about the 50th time, both UT and OU make more money right where they are.  Neither is giving up their T3 deals.  Which is, perversely, why the B12 has never been more stable internally.  Everybody is more than willing to let UT make all that money off the field, because they cant get out of their own way on the field.

19 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

that's exactly what will happen. Texas/Oklahoma join the PAC-14 leaving the Big XII scrambling for 4 new members.

Wrongo, buckaroo conference bud.  XII is locked up solid with 3rd Tier Rights.  Have you not witnessed the Longhorn channel on ESPN? Texas is going nowhere other than an amazing gig in B1G with LHN as a special carve out.  Kinda like Notre Dame in ACC. That's the only excellent gig for Texas..B1G with carve out...dragging Oklahoma along. It's not gonna happen.

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

1 hour ago, UofMTigers said:

In a merge it’s a new Conference and there is no voting out to be done.   I’m pretty sure to get on better financial footing the CA 4 would vote out WSU and OSU in a heartbeat.  And I say that as someone whose wife went to WSU and I’ve been to a game in the Palouse.