Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Unification Poll AAC MWC

National Conference Unification AAC cut  

85 members have voted

1. 1. National Conference Unification AAC cut

• Central Florida
    • Cincinnati
    • East Carolina
    • Houston
    • Memphis
    • Navy all in
    • South Florida
    • Southern Methodist
    • Temple
    • Tulane
    • Tulsa
  2. 2. On the MWC Side

• Air Force
    • Boise State
    • Colorado State
    • Fresno State
    • Hawai'i all in
    • New Mexico
    • Nevada
    • San Diego State
    • San Jose State
    • Utah State
    • UNLV
    • Wyoming

Alright..I'll loop back into topic.  Good, spirited discussion and thought.  My main thesis is This:

• The Power 5 are on the nigh of formally Separating (rock. live underneath...if you not know this..ostrich head in sand).

• Within the Power 5, new television contracts are coming up for renewal not too horribly long from now (B1G, XII, and PAC). I think that upcoming go round will have nothing to do with expansion at all. The dominoes have fully fallen with the Power 5 IMO.  No incentive at all to expand within any one of them. 

• The AAC has been been over-the-top grand standing about 'its place' within the Power structure. 

There are 66 within the Power 5 of WE 130 FBS squads.  When the garage door formally shuts I think there is room for One More Thing.  And I'm gonna backtrack much from my OP title topic.  If I were the money-doling networks I would limit my so-called National Conference to 10 teams in the best markets available and mimic XII round robin play.  I would give them this garage door closing Conference a good deal ($20m/unit) but not a great deal.  Until the eyeball numbers prove up well and strong to the 2030s. 

Given all that, and paying for this Power 6 Conference I would insist on this:

BYU

Boise State

San Diego State

Central Florida

Memphis

Houston

Cincinnati

with an excellent 3 additions to go to 10... which is lofty re geography, rivalries, markets, national appeal (natural name recognition) and comprehensive sports performance across the board. 

To boot, with this foundation... this lot of squads could make a serious run at BE in Power Hoops rankings.  Jest sayin.

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 6/15/2020 at 5:02 PM, UofMTigers said:

Aresco said to hold the AAC together he would be OK with football/men's basketball staying 'all-in with the AAC' and the other Olympic sports essentially being Indy's scheduling region teams IF it came to that.

lawsuit all over that.  men get conference championship and women don’t

There was an article in The Athletic a couple days ago (i'll try to dig it up tomorrow).  They basically commissioned their own study to see what the P5 conferences could expect in the next round of TV deals.  Basically, they'll be getting healthy bumps, and that the financial pecking order will remain the same - Big 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC/Pac 12.  Based on that, not much incentive for any kind of realignment.  Time will tell.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Exactly. The 66 are healthy and strong.  No reason at all for any domino change other than the Garage Door closing (and maybe some legal noise for now).  Those of us that are emboldened, powerful, politically connected enough, will make sure we're on the driveway street side of the garage door.  And not so much the ping pong table washer/dryer side of it it all featuring CBSSports Network and ESPN4 MAC Tuesday nights. 

Not gonna happen re ping pong side.

One we Combine...we're Street Side. It won't be easy, but it will be Grand once it all comes to formation. Many knuckle heads have to get over their egos and do the right thing. Sponsored by media platforms with their base pay of $20m/squad ghetto town ish Power Six. 

Gotta start somewhere until the 2030s. ACC did it ghetto town back then.  Now look look what they gots?  Fantastic deal to middle 2030s. 

12 hours ago, RSF said:

There was an article in The Athletic a couple days ago (i'll try to dig it up tomorrow).  They basically commissioned their own study to see what the P5 conferences could expect in the next round of TV deals.  Basically, they'll be getting healthy bumps, and that the financial pecking order will remain the same - Big 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC/Pac 12.  Based on that, not much incentive for any kind of realignment.  Time will tell.

If I was a SoCal, AZ, or Mtn PAC school I would seriously consider moving to the B12 if an offer was extended. Better K/O times, better FB, better BB, better attendance. 

No realignment within P5, especially among themselves.  P6 Conference with its tough choices to make and its keen negotiating skills gets it done. 

As a sidebar, I admire TCU much for its strong navigation of the previously ever-shifting waters in conference realignment.  When the SWC busted up in the 1990s, TCU got shafted.  TCU chose at that time to enter the WAC with its 16-team 4-quadrant mayhem and bullshit.  What lunacy at that time.  TCU bolted to CUSA. 

Fortunately shortly thereafter, the MWC invented itself and TCU was in.  Then the MWC came undone a bit and TCU opted for BE.  BE for TCU didn't last long at all; actually it never happened.  XII semi-imploded and Ta Da..TCU quietly, skillfully, and thoughtfully got In.

From founding member of storied SWC, to bloated WAC, to CUSA, to MWC, to BE Offer, to its final destination...XII.

It's a lesson on navigation, folks.  Prove It.  Sell It.  Do it. 

Unify We Will, In Our Way

p.s.  Taking a page outta TCU's play book we have to go to the Big House (which is not University of Texas in TCU XII skillful play book).  WE go to the networks and their marketable platforms and freakin sell it.  Whatever they want within reason.  And like TCU we take a lower cut financially initially just to get it done...  Once included and sustainable....

We Fulfill Our Proven Unified Destiny

9 hours ago, AztecSU said:

If I was a SoCal, AZ, or Mtn PAC school I would seriously consider moving to the B12 if an offer was extended. Better K/O times, better FB, better BB, better attendance. 

As I remember the B-12 conference looked at expansion a short time ago, and none of the Mtn Pac schools was invited. I see no reason that they would change their minds now or in the near future.

3 hours ago, Coog kev said:

p.s.  Taking a page outta TCU's play book we have to go to the Big House (which is not University of Texas in TCU XII skillful play book).  WE go to the networks and their marketable platforms and freakin sell it.  Whatever they want within reason.  And like TCU we take a lower cut financially initially just to get it done...  Once included and sustainable....

Actually, it was UT that got us in.  Or, more accurately, it was smooth talking AD Chris Del Conte working UT AD DeLoss Dodds.  And now CDC is THEIR AD.  ESPN and Fox signed off, because they knew we had a marketable brand after 15 years of success, and several hundred million dollars invested in the product.  But no UT vote, no invite.

And TCU's deal wasnt that special in terms of getting it done.  Most, if not all, expansion teams take a graduated cut of revenues when they change leagues.  WV did.  Rutgers and Maryland did. Utah and Colorado did.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:04 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Has anyone asked @RebelRobert for his thoughts?  I thread like this requires an expert opinion.

SDSU

UNLV

BYU

Boise

New Mexico

Colorado State

Houston

SMU

Memphis

Cincinnati

Gonzaga (All Sports but Football)

Air Force (Football Only)

Navy (Football Only)

That is a big boy conference that is better than the PAC-12.  This would force their hand.

rebel.raider.shirt.png.504836834cfb3d84720c6378b02d5a8b.png

6 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

SDSU

UNLV

BYU

Boise

New Mexico

Colorado State

Houston

SMU

Memphis

Cincinnati

Gonzaga (All Sports but Football)

Air Force (Football Only)

Navy (Football Only)

rebel.raider.shirt.png.504836834cfb3d84720c6378b02d5a8b.png

Unlv, new mex are non starters. If we had to choose between the two new mex would get the nod. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

14 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Unlv, new mex are non starters. If we had to choose between the two new mex would get the nod. 

No one asked you and no one ever would care what you have to say.    One more bad football season and you will be stuck with SJSU forever.

41 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

No one asked you and no one ever would care what you have to say.    One more bad football season and you will be stuck with SJSU forever.

Are you on board with unlv dropping football and concentrating on hoops? The thought is gaining traction with Vegas boosters. It’s a good idea. As it stands both programs are garbage. Maybe you guys can figure something out with hoops if you don’t have to worry about funding football. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

On 6/15/2020 at 12:38 PM, B_Lootz said:

No way would I want all of Navy’s oly sports, so they’re a no. I think Hawaii is just too far for the eastern teams to travel to, and Aloha is a complete dump, otherwise they would be in. 

Last two in: Temple and Nevada

Last three out: USU, South Florida, and Hawaii. I figure if you’re going to take BYU, then why take the Ags? 

Aloha Stadium is not a dump (It’s rusty, the restrooms have troughs (but efficient for high capacity urination) and it’s double tier/decked and gets really loud for the diminished attendance.  I say it’s better than all the CSU stadiums, Reno (these are the MWC stadiums I’ve been to) and is better than living icons in the PAC-12 like the Rose Bowl and Cal’s stadium.

Plus, Hawaii is planning on building a new stadium by 2023 (so what if it’s delayed, 2024 or 2025).

Get that out of your system.

The long travel, I don’t have an answer for you (yet).  

4 minutes ago, 415hawaiiboy said:

Aloha Stadium is not a dump (It’s rusty, the restrooms have troughs (but efficient for high capacity urination)...

not really making a strong case with THAT statement...

On 6/17/2020 at 8:50 PM, Koji Vu said:

14 teams based on the "Southwest" Criteria:

If your stadium is a stones throw away from a Southwest Airlines Terminal, you're in. Otherwise, See Ya!

Boise, New Mexico, SDSU, SJSU, Nevada, UNLV

Cincy, UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, SMU

Hawaii - Out (SWA hasn't been flying there long enough, and ruins the even number of teams)

I use this criteria for my job

On 6/18/2020 at 2:43 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

Another pie-in-the-sky BOR conference thread.  It must be summer.

Which has better odds of happening? Hawaii joining the PAC, or the pie-in-the-sky BOR?? :hmmm: