Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Unification Poll AAC MWC

National Conference Unification AAC cut  

85 members have voted

1. 1. National Conference Unification AAC cut

• Central Florida
    • Cincinnati
    • East Carolina
    • Houston
    • Memphis
    • Navy all in
    • South Florida
    • Southern Methodist
    • Temple
    • Tulane
    • Tulsa
  2. 2. On the MWC Side

• Air Force
    • Boise State
    • Colorado State
    • Fresno State
    • Hawai'i all in
    • New Mexico
    • Nevada
    • San Diego State
    • San Jose State
    • Utah State
    • UNLV
    • Wyoming

I tried to do the pod system, even if it's the reason the Mountain West was created in the first place, but it simply does not work.

Pacific Division-

West Pod: UNLV, Reno, Fresno, and SDSU.

Mountain Pod: Wyoming, Boise, Colorado State, and Air Force.

Atlantic Division-

Central Pod: New Mexico, Tulsa, Houston, and SMU.

East Pod: Temple, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Navy.

Central and East, West and Mountain would play each other all years, with two other pod rivalry games. Air Force vs Navy being the only real guaranteed game. 

Truth is, I don't give a shit about a lot of the AAC teams. I'd rather just push out San Jose. 

37 minutes ago, Billings said:

conferences will move to more regional now.   any nationwide idea has been killed for quite awhile by the economy and strapped for cash universities.

for Olympic sports, sure...but not for football/basketball.

we'll schedule regional schools for Baseball, Women's hoops, tennis, soccer, etc...but that's about it.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

3 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

for Olympic sports, sure...but not for football/basketball.

we'll schedule regional schools for Baseball, Women's hoops, tennis, soccer, etc...but that's about it.

So no more tilts with Tulane in baseball?  No more futbol vs SMU and USF?  No more Memphis vs UCSB in tennis??  :crying:

9 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

So no more tilts with Tulane in baseball?  No more futbol vs SMU and USF?  No more Memphis vs UCSB in tennis??  :crying:

Aresco said to hold the AAC together he would be OK with football/men's basketball staying 'all-in with the AAC' and the other Olympic sports essentially being Indy's scheduling region teams IF it came to that.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

Just for fun, if it were 18 and 4 time zones, I'd have:

Western Conference

Pacific: SDSU, UNLV, Fresno, Hawaii

Mountain: BSU, BYU, CSU, AFA

Eastern Conference

Central: Houston, SMU, Cincy, Memphis

East: UCF, USF, Army, Navy

Each team plays everyone in their division, 3 teams from the other division in their conference, and one team from each division in the other conference. Conference champs meet in Title game at the Raiders new stadium.

Also, I'd make it allowable for teams in opposite conferences to schedule OOC games against each other that do not count towards Conference standings. But that would mean releasing the schedule years in advance.

No on the service academies.

1. Their basketball programs are dog crap and always will be. That's not problematic for big boy conferences but THE P6 would need hoops credits.

2. With the option, their football programs are intolerable to watch. When they aren't, they're tedious. When they aren't either, they're boring, boring, boring.

10 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

No on the service academies.

1. Their basketball programs are dog crap and always will be. That's not problematic for big boy conferences but THE P6 would need hoops credits.

2. With the option, their football programs are intolerable to watch. When they aren't, they're tedious. When they aren't either, they're boring, boring, boring.

This, putting academies in a new conference is a mistake as it increases the lower body injuries the conf will have in FB and significantly lowers quality of hoops. Basically they'll cripple the QB on the best team in the conf and reduce the number of NCAA tourney bids. And that doesn't even address the Army/Navy game scheduling issue. My preferred 16, which is too big and never going to happen but whatever.

Western Conference

Pacific: SDSU, UNLV, Fresno, Nevada

Mountain: BSU, BYU, CSU, USU

Eastern Conference

Central: Houston, SMU, Cincy, Memphis

East: UCF, USF, Temple, ECU

ECU has strong FB attendance which shouldn't be discounted. Also I think considering bringing in App State as a Rival to ECU and dropping Temple could be doable but Temple has been up in Football and hoops lately. 

5 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

I know they’ve been bad recently but ECU is a quality program.  Surprised at the low representation.  Lol at anyone that picked Tulsa.

I like ECU, and they’d be on my alternate list.

Good football school and support...

New-Signature.jpg

Other than the self serving blather here, what would motivate, cbs, Fox, or any future interested network in taking on a MWC/ACC hybrid conference? The tv markets are almost all small from a national perspective. That’s a major negative from their standpoint. Other than a few media types throwing out trial balloons, who from either conference is demonstrating leadership in forging a combined new conference? Without a driver or drivers emerging from the group of university presidents,  all this is just chit chat. Thusly, who has the power and strength to call , for example, Blah Blah University and tell them they are gone from the new conference? ADs don’t make those decisions you know. Taking a poll like this is cute, but just glorified bloviating. Or, tell me what I’m missing in terms of leaders and interested networks ? 

2 hours ago, Aztecfan1 said:

Other than the self serving blather here, what would motivate, cbs, Fox, or any future interested network in taking on a MWC/ACC hybrid conference? The tv markets are almost all small from a national perspective. That’s a major negative from their standpoint. Other than a few media types throwing out trial balloons, who from either conference is demonstrating leadership in forging a combined new conference? Without a driver or drivers emerging from the group of university presidents,  all this is just chit chat. Thusly, who has the power and strength to call , for example, Blah Blah University and tell them they are gone from the new conference? ADs don’t make those decisions you know. Taking a poll like this is cute, but just glorified bloviating. Or, tell me what I’m missing in terms of leaders and interested networks ? 

A new conference with progressive ideas and ambition was just formed 6 years ago and it’s doing really well.  If they decide to expand west they will acquire the schools they feel would fit best.  There is no need for a merger, it would be an acquisition.  That acquisition isn’t likely until 2025/6 when the next realignment takes shape if at all.  

It would be nice to see some more scheduling arrangements between the two conferences though.  

@Coog kev, you should make the voting results public, so we can all scrutinize and shame...

Most people don't give a shit if others see their choices....

After all, the MW Board is just a swarm of 27 through 100 year-old degenerate pieces of shit - they don't care.  Seriously, though, I'm surprised @mugtang isn't using more AARP advertising banners, which would spank this forums' demographic right across those glorious,sagging tits...

Let it be done.

New-Signature.jpg

14 teams based on the "Southwest" Criteria:

If your stadium is a stones throw away from a Southwest Airlines Terminal, you're in. Otherwise, See Ya!

Boise, New Mexico, SDSU, SJSU, Nevada, UNLV

Cincy, UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis, Temple, Tulsa, SMU

Hawaii - Out (SWA hasn't been flying there long enough, and ruins the even number of teams)

On 6/14/2020 at 8:17 PM, Coog kev said:

We will combine at some point.  The unification of MWC and AAC.  Let's just get it out there and poll it up.  14-team league (no funky WAC crap) with the fortitude to negotiate and win an excellent broadcasting deal c. 2023.  Pls opine re who makes the cut.

BYU is open for grabs.

Sorry for the title re AAC selection title poll.  Mug does an excellent job running the board but at times the navigation gets tricky.  My bad. 

It's all about unification.

image.jpeg.b41da117fdd8bc017273a41b7ead6f44.jpegimage.png.22772ee7a2f762c8cd80a4538e0e4456.png

image.png.684e69a327206637449030fa96c98422.png   image.png.94ac373217f1826c641ceac853e9ca72.png image.png.759e2391b045445a3a94da22d50fba03.png

image.png

There’s no need for any of this unless so many schools drop out of football it’ll be necessary.

FYI, Hawaii would be a non-starter and wouldn’t even be on the list. And I like Hawaii, but their future is Indy, and they’ll do better that way. They could get the last 4 to 5 games of the year as home games with mostly 1 and done’s with a good scheduler. 

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

A new conference with progressive ideas and ambition was just formed 6 years ago and it’s doing really well.  If they decide to expand west they will acquire the schools they feel would fit best.  There is no need for a merger, it would be an acquisition.  That acquisition isn’t likely until 2025/6 when the next realignment takes shape if at all.  

It would be nice to see some more scheduling arrangements between the two conferences though.  

That progressive and ambitious new conference you mention just locked itself into a 12-year media deal.  It won’t be acquiring anyone in the west in 2025/6 because it isn’t able to do so now and the net incremental revenue improvement it can offer to western expansion candidates will stay the same or shrink, not grow.

8 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Anyone that touts that something is going to be great because of new progressive ideas is very likely to be in for a biiiig disappointment.........it won’t take long for you to hear the toilet goes woosh, and say bye bye to mama !! 😂👍

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

That progressive and ambitious new conference you mention just locked itself into a 12-year media deal.  It won’t be acquiring anyone in the west in 2025/6 because it isn’t able to do so now and the net incremental revenue improvement it can offer to western expansion candidates will stay the same or shrink, not grow.

They likely wouldn’t have a choice because The acquisitions would come after they lost schools to realignment or relegation (always hoping for Tulsa).  It would be a matter of necessity at that point.  That’s the only scenario a ‘merger’ would happen.  I’m not speaking to the likelihood of anything, just saying if it were to happen that would be the circumstances.

They could absolutely acquire somebody from the west now if they felt it was right.  There was no unanimous choice and there’s little interest in expanding beyond 12, which is why nothing happened.

On 6/15/2020 at 10:58 AM, 1IvyDog said:

I’m not an insider but have been fortunate to have been able to talk to  a couple of media executives and the consensus was for a national conference to receive a lucrative media deal, the combined conference would need 16-18 members with at least 4 in each time zone.  This would give the media company content for all slots in each time zone for streaming, regional, national and network coverage.  Also the league would need to provide the following sports as revenue generators for TV:

Football, Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Men’s and Women’s Hockey, Baseball, Softball and Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse. The other sports are nice for content fillers but not major advertising dollars.  So with that said we should be able to pick a strong 16-18 teams

This ^^^ is what the media folks want...a coast-to-coast sports conference that gives them additional live content, i.e. for football, multiple time zones allow for more conference games without overlap = more inventory = more exposure for their sponsors.  Imagine being a Central Time Zone or Mountain Time Zone fan of such a conference, turning on your TV at 10am and hunkering down for non-stop conference games straight through until 2am Sunday morning (Hawaii's got a late game!).

I actually think that at some point, the true bluebloods of college football, the Ohio State's, USC's, Texas', Alabama's, Notre Dame's, will get in bed together and figure out this exact kind of across-the-nation Time Zone scheduling and reap unbelievable payouts.  #sorryoregonstate

Imagine top level football games all day/night Saturday with solid-to-fantastic matchups throughout.  USC vs. Alabama, Ohio State vs. Texas, Notre Dame vs. Georgia, Oklahoma vs. BYU... :ph34r:

The real problem for the above is that there simply aren't enough western bluebloods, but who cares as the west just doesn't have the football culture or obsession of the Midwest and the South.

15 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

This ^^^ is what the media folks want...a coast-to-coast sports conference that gives them additional live content, i.e. for football, multiple time zones allow for more conference games without overlap = more inventory = more exposure for their sponsors.  Imagine being a Central Time Zone or Mountain Time Zone fan of such a conference, turning on your TV at 10am and hunkering down for non-stop conference games straight through until 2am Sunday morning (Hawaii's got a late game!).

I actually think that at some point, the true bluebloods of college football, the Ohio State's, USC's, Texas', Alabama's, Notre Dame's, will get in bed together and figure out this exact kind of across-the-nation Time Zone scheduling and reap unbelievable payouts.  #sorryoregonstate

Imagine top level football games all day/night Saturday with solid-to-fantastic matchups throughout.  USC vs. Alabama, Ohio State vs. Texas, Notre Dame vs. Georgia, Oklahoma vs. BYU... :ph34r:

The real problem for the above is that there simply aren't enough western bluebloods, but who cares as the west just doesn't have the football culture or obsession of the Midwest and the South.

Never forget that despite the money and popularity of football the edu side is really calling the shots. If the ADs were in charge we'd already be there.

49 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Imagine being a Central Time Zone or Mountain Time Zone fan of such a conference, turning on your TV at 10am and hunkering down for non-stop conference games straight through until 2am Sunday morning (Hawaii's got a late game!).

we get non stop games now.   And both media giants already have content to fill all timeslots. And with the presence of the CFP, people give a shit about games outside their conference.  The inevitable expansion of the CFP will intensify that, without the fun and frivolity of a gargantuan mega-conference.  If we ever see a schism where the P5 breaks off (and sheds some schools in the process), we'll still have regional conferences under a national umbrella.   

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.