Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Unification Poll AAC MWC

National Conference Unification AAC cut  

85 members have voted

1. 1. National Conference Unification AAC cut

• Central Florida
    • Cincinnati
    • East Carolina
    • Houston
    • Memphis
    • Navy all in
    • South Florida
    • Southern Methodist
    • Temple
    • Tulane
    • Tulsa
  2. 2. On the MWC Side

• Air Force
    • Boise State
    • Colorado State
    • Fresno State
    • Hawai'i all in
    • New Mexico
    • Nevada
    • San Diego State
    • San Jose State
    • Utah State
    • UNLV
    • Wyoming

We will combine at some point.  The unification of MWC and AAC.  Let's just get it out there and poll it up.  14-team league (no funky WAC crap) with the fortitude to negotiate and win an excellent broadcasting deal c. 2023.  Pls opine re who makes the cut.

BYU is open for grabs.

Sorry for the title re AAC selection title poll.  Mug does an excellent job running the board but at times the navigation gets tricky.  My bad. 

It's all about unification.

image.jpeg.b41da117fdd8bc017273a41b7ead6f44.jpegimage.png.22772ee7a2f762c8cd80a4538e0e4456.png

image.png.684e69a327206637449030fa96c98422.png   image.png.94ac373217f1826c641ceac853e9ca72.png image.png.759e2391b045445a3a94da22d50fba03.png

image.png

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

BYU is a separate vote.  As in from the Unification Floor convention rally in Las Vegas.  Maybe Notre Dame like ACC affiliation with its carve out.  I can see it and dig it much. No one is asking BYU to give up its special relationship in broadcasting rights.  Affiliation would be grand.  

57 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

I don't see why 16 teams is out of the question. 

I'd pick

UCF, USF, Navy, Memphis, Tulane, Houston, Cincy, AFA in the East

BSU, BYU, CSU, UNLV, UNM, SDSU, Fresno, Hawaii in the West

You're going to send AFA east?

I’m not an insider but have been fortunate to have been able to talk to  a couple of media executives and the consensus was for a national conference to receive a lucrative media deal, the combined conference would need 16-18 members with at least 4 in each time zone.  This would give the media company content for all slots in each time zone for streaming, regional, national and network coverage.  Also the league would need to provide the following sports as revenue generators for TV:

Football, Men’s and Women’s Basketball, Men’s and Women’s Hockey, Baseball, Softball and Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse. The other sports are nice for content fillers but not major advertising dollars.  So with that said we should be able to pick a strong 16-18 teams

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

No way would I want all of Navy’s oly sports, so they’re a no. I think Hawaii is just too far for the eastern teams to travel to, and Aloha is a complete dump, otherwise they would be in. 

Last two in: Temple and Nevada

Last three out: USU, South Florida, and Hawaii. I figure if you’re going to take BYU, then why take the Ags? 

Fine. Let's bump it up to a 16-member platform.  With broadcasting rights conventional (ESPN, Fox, CBS Normal for hoops) and E streaming gig ala Google, the Facebooks, ESPN+.  No CBS Sports Network. No one really likes that horrid tier of competitive college sports.  It's tolerated but Hard No.

A tricky 16-member league can sell.  And sell well once the garage door formally closes in a few short years.  This is not about the alleged Best of the Rest.  It's about We combining well and strong.  I give props to the AAC for that Power6 marketing junks.  However, that's just not gonna happen one bit at all. 

Here's what I think will sell well with strong revenue per member all in IF it happens, which it should, and for minimum 12 years with the right to create a dedicated broadcasting network in Year 6 IF the eyeball/streaming numbers prove up. 

In no particular order..The Sixteen.

Boise State

BYU

Air Force

Navy

San Diego State

Cincinnati

Central Florida

Houston

Memphis

UNLV

Colorado State

Temple

Army

Team X

The CIC Trophy under one roof.  Which frees all 3 Academies to do more lofty OOC other than play each other for 2 of their OOC action.  Of course the CBS game Army/Navy is sacred middle December as a unique carve out. 

I do not think that Unification regarding divisional draw has to be relegated to geography per se.  Borrow the SEC/Big format.  Ish. They're at 14 and do fine.  At 16 with an 8/8 draw division schedule it leaves room for 2 Other Side of the draw and 3 OOC.  Three OOC is just fine in my opinion. 

16 league unification it is.  With some current Indy's joining up.  AND, it's all sports all the way.  No football only junks. 

9 minutes ago, Coog kev said:

Fine. Let's bump it up to a 16-member platform.  With broadcasting rights conventional (ESPN, Fox, CBS Normal for hoops) and E streaming gig ala Google, the Facebooks, ESPN+.  No CBS Sports Network. No one really likes that horrid tier of competitive college sports.  It's tolerated but Hard No.

A tricky 16-member league can sell.  And sell well once the garage door formally closes in a few short years.  This is not about the alleged Best of the Rest.  It's about We combining well and strong.  I give props to the AAC for that Power6 marketing junks.  However, that's just not gonna happen one bit at all. 

Here's what I think will sell well with strong revenue per member all in IF it happens, which it should, and for minimum 12 years with the right to create a dedicated broadcasting network in Year 6 IF the eyeball/streaming numbers prove up. 

In no particular order..The Sixteen.

Boise State

BYU

Air Force

Navy

San Diego State

Cincinnati

Central Florida

Houston

Memphis

UNLV

Colorado State

Temple

Army

Team X

The CIC Trophy under one roof.  Which frees all 3 Academies to do more lofty OOC other than play each other for 2 of their OOC action.  Of course the CBS game Army/Navy is sacred middle December as a unique carve out. 

I do not think that Unification regarding divisional draw has to be relegated to geography per se.  Borrow the SEC/Big format.  Ish. They're at 14 and do fine.  At 16 with an 8/8 draw division schedule it leaves room for 2 Other Side of the draw and 3 OOC.  Three OOC is just fine in my opinion. 

16 league unification it is.  With some current Indy's joining up.  AND, it's all sports all the way.  No football only junks. 

I would definitely throw unlv out. Nobody wants to be associated with such a poor athletic department. They have one of the worst all time football programs and it’s been 30 years since they were good in hoops. I would add Fresno St and Wyoming. Could really care less about temple or Ucf joining the party. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

Just for fun, if it were 18 and 4 time zones, I'd have:

Western Conference

Pacific: SDSU, UNLV, Fresno, Hawaii

Mountain: BSU, BYU, CSU, AFA

Eastern Conference

Central: Houston, SMU, Cincy, Memphis

East: UCF, USF, Army, Navy

Each team plays everyone in their division, 3 teams from the other division in their conference, and one team from each division in the other conference. Conference champs meet in Title game at the Raiders new stadium.

Also, I'd make it allowable for teams in opposite conferences to schedule OOC games against each other that do not count towards Conference standings. But that would mean releasing the schedule years in advance.

I think, therefore I'm.

I'd leave out both Academies, SJSU Hawaii, East Carolina, Tulsa ,Tulane, New Mexico and Wyoming

Bottom 2 in-  South Florida, UNLV

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

40 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

I'll take 'none of the above' and stay like we are.

conferences will move to more regional now.   any nationwide idea has been killed for quite awhile by the economy and strapped for cash universities.