Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modestobulldog

Truck Drivers Say They Won’t Deliver To Cities with Defunded Police Departments

6 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

This is pie in the sky bullshit. 

Is there a middle ground that you would be willing to meet at, or is this an "over my dead body" position for you?

I want police in our streets, but I hope we can improve how they can do the job.  I want people in the streets to not immediately distrust people for nonsensical reasons.  And that is across the spectrum of colors, the spectrum of sexual preferences and orientations, and the spectrum of religious or spiritual beliefs.  

13 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Is there a middle ground that you would be willing to meet at, or is this an "over my dead body" position for you?

I want police in our streets, but I hope we can improve how they can do the job.  I want people in the streets to not immediately distrust people for nonsensical reasons.  And that is across the spectrum of colors, the spectrum of sexual preferences and orientations, and the spectrum of religious or spiritual beliefs.  

As to defund the police bullshit, I would be an over my dead body perspective. However, I do agree there needs to be law enforcement, court / justice, prison, and probation reform.

110926run_defense710.jpg

Just now, modestobulldog said:

As to defund the police bullshit, I would be an over my dead body perspective. However, I do agree there needs to be law enforcement, court / justice, prison, and probation reform.

I think the defund terminology is way too vague.  If the defund meant less MRAPs and more training and community policing, would you be willing to discuss?  I keep hearing some that say "abolish = defund" which is a non-starter for me, but if it is my second sentence, does that change your opinion, and really what they have is poor verbiage?

9 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I think the defund terminology is way too vague.  If the defund meant less MRAPs and more training and community policing, would you be willing to discuss?  I keep hearing some that say "abolish = defund" which is a non-starter for me, but if it is my second sentence, does that change your opinion, and really what they have is poor verbiage?

come  on man have you had to deal with gen Z? every SRO needs an MRAP and grenade launchers

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Didn't the police depts. get those MRAPS for pennies on the dollar anyway? I thought I'd remembered reading that they were sold for only a couple thousand dollars. 

I've never particularly liked any police as I've felt they only care about protecting their own departments and collecting "fees". I don't see how you get better policing without higher pay, better screening, and more training.

4 minutes ago, trl87 said:

Didn't the police depts. get those MRAPS for pennies on the dollar anyway? I thought I'd remembered reading that they were sold for only a couple thousand dollars. 

I've never particularly liked any police as I've felt they only care about protecting their own departments and collecting "fees". I don't see how you get better policing without higher pay, better screening, and more training.

Many did pay little.  The military probably offloads them cheaply.  But it is more about the military-grade stuff (vehicles, armor and guns) in towns that now they have to pay the O&M on for the rare chance of it being needed just because it looks cool to them, and concerning to the populace.  My small ass town has three, and only one is for SWAT.  They didn't budget for them, and now they are trying to give one away to another precinct.  At the same time (not all to blame with the MRAPs), they killed a community officer position, and assigned a K9 to do a portion of his time walking the beat with the dog, in full battle rattle.  Seems counter to what should be done.

I agree that if the screening is better, the training is better, and the RESULTS are better, they need to be paid more.

6 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Many did pay little.  The military probably offloads them cheaply.  But it is more about the military-grade stuff (vehicles, armor and guns) in towns that now they have to pay the O&M on for the rare chance of it being needed just because it looks cool to them, and concerning to the populace.  My small ass town has three, and only one is for SWAT.  They didn't budget for them, and now they are trying to give one away to another precinct.  At the same time (not all to blame with the MRAPs), they killed a community officer position, and assigned a K9 to do a portion of his time walking the beat with the dog, in full battle rattle.  Seems counter to what should be done.

I agree that if the screening is better, the training is better, and the RESULTS are better, they need to be paid more.

Obviously every location has different needs; larger cities are much different than small towns. I roll my eyes at Laramie having an MRAP. And I did consider the maintenance aspect as well, just seems like it's still a minimal cut and only serves as an "optics" cut. Do the cuts enter into the dispatcher realm too? They are already entirely undervalued. 

All I know is I have seen far too many killings of people of all colors to trust police at this point. Daniel Shaver comes to mind. Floyd's killing was despicable. I look at Brooks' killing and think "...were they actually justified by the letter of the law? Yeah, I guess, but he should have never gotten away from them both...", which I'm sure has been discussed greatly here somewhere, and I'm not trying to start a convo here. Just stating that I think many cops are ill-prepared, and in many cases just not personally equipped to be police. Don't see how that is overcome with less money.

Communities policing their own? Hmmm... I don't see that working out as intended either.