Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I hear a WOOSH?

State of Florida changes college football, allowing player compensation first.

Governor of Florida signed player likeness and image compensation bill into law today, becoming the first state to allow players to be paid, effective July 1st 2021. The stated goal of this is to keep top talent home.  It’s a game changer-for schools willing and able to accommodate.  This may end football for smaller schools, and make others stronger.

4D82E3F7-69AB-4EC6-996A-649570A2B474.png

1 hour ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Governor of Florida signed player likeness and image compensation bill into law today, becoming the first state to allow players to be paid, effective July 1st 2021. The stated goal of this is to keep top talent home.  It’s a game changer-for schools willing and able to accommodate.  This may end football for smaller schools, and make others stronger.

4D82E3F7-69AB-4EC6-996A-649570A2B474.png

This will be a big boy fight.  None of us G5's are really pulling in the 5* guys anyway.  $100K under the table in Florida is now $100K for a few billboards.  That's all.  We weren't in that game to begin with.  That 3* QB leaving CO for K State may stay home now to get that 10K PaydayLoans.com endorsement, but we're not going to start losing recruits to TX that we never got in the first place.

3 hours ago, Headbutt said:

This will be a big boy fight.  None of us G5's are really pulling in the 5* guys anyway.  $100K under the table in Florida is now $100K for a few billboards.  That's all.  We weren't in that game to begin with.  That 3* QB leaving CO for K State may stay home now to get that 10K PaydayLoans.com endorsement, but we're not going to start losing recruits to TX that we never got in the first place.

It’s a Gamechanger for schools that tried to pay under the table like the big boys but were oppressed by the big boys and ratted out and had politicians stuck on them like dogs.  It makes the process more transparent which will benefit my school.  I see where you’re coming from though. 

To be overturned/outdone by Congress.  This has to be a national phenomenon, not by state.  Once the dust settles and things are uniform..it's all about market cred and who has local market share.  If one gets rare national market share as a person, great for that dude.  It's driven by marketing in the home front first and foremost, with regional exposure an added boon. 

For example..as a Houston person..I'm not going to a local bidness because some QB from Ohio State promotes it.  I'll think about it re a UH stud.

The Ohio State stud can promote Enterprise Renty Car in his own hood; if he does it in mine...I'm turned off..unless the promotion campaign is well done and inspiring. 

The best thing that will happen when uniformity is required is this..great local talent thoroughly supporting local businesses with their cred and getting paid for it.  Finally. The bigger the local market, maybe the bigger payoff.  In Hou, when the UH Hoops studs are paid to Represent in our highly diverse market..boom will go that dynamite. 

NIL (Name, Image, Likeness) rules have to be uniform. Florida cannot magically decree that It is So.  Neither can California or Colorado.  Uniformity and national consistency. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

It's free market competitive.  This is roughly based on offering student athletes walking around money in lieu of required payment for meal plans whether on campus or not..which we've all done by now.  No earthquake about that at all. Total yawn. Chemistry majors don't get that..freebie walk around money stipend; student athletes are in a unique group. 

This is about an individual's previously uncompensated exploitation of his/her personal contribution rights while externals were compensated re unlicensed branding.  Student/athletes personally contribute, brand, and license...compensation naturally should flow.  And flow well depending on the market and the person. 

It's an important issue.  The bigger issue is this. 

Each and every squad's ability to Brand Itself better and secure better macro Broadcasting Rights as a Squad/Conference Brand.

Ears, deaf upon MWC.  The Both of Us are gonna have to merge at some point in a couple of years and Kick the Door down re Power 6/Power 5.5.  My swan song...

The Florida law will have zero impact on anybody.  Because the state laws will be superceded.

And it wasnt the 1st, anyways.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 hours ago, RSF said:

The Florida law will have zero impact on anybody.  Because the state laws will be superceded.

You may be right if the feds come in.  That remains to be seen.  Which state was first? Cali’s won’t be implemented by then so it’s not them. 

13 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You may be right if the feds come in.  That remains to be seen.  Which state was first? Cali’s won’t be implemented by then so it’s not them. 

Would this not come under the heading of interstate commerce?  Surely all games will not be played against teams from the same state. Therefore a federal law would be necessary. If not perhaps one of our LLD's or LLB's on the site could explain.

22 hours ago, RSF said:

Absolutely. It's all about uniformity, consistency, and a level playing field.  You and I are Texas squad based.  We all know what happens when a squad goes off the rails pushing boundaries.  Exhibit A: SMU death penalty.

There will be no free-for-all.  Florida, California, and Colorado are pushing the issue. It's a good, strong issue.  No Florida Grandstanding about anything. 

It's over ridden by national consensus despite Florida dreams.  And thank you XII for pushing Congress to intervene quickly. TCU et al have the muscle to pull it off.  Thank you.

On 6/14/2020 at 3:24 PM, 1066 said:

Would this not come under the heading of interstate commerce?  Surely all games will not be played against teams from the same state. Therefore a federal law would be necessary. If not perhaps one of our LLD's or LLB's on the site could explain.

My understanding from the UCF player rep is that the significance of this comes through social media which will not come down to interstate commerce as you mentioned.  Schools with a large presence will attract players with a high presence and there will ultimately be arrangements made that are mutually beneficial.  It’s early but I think it’s a game changer from the student athlete perspective at the least.