Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Should they rename military bases/installations?

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Fantastic story.  And we all are proud about that statue, and will be more than livid if people mess with it.  I just don't see the similarity and that was my comment on that.

Fun fact:  I never got the chance to go to Iwo Jima, but Las Pulgas in Camp Pendleton was the site where they practiced the assault up Suribachi, and that was the hills that we went up at least three times a week for my 3 years stationed there.  Can only imagine doing it with a very formidable and entrenched foe like the Japanese waiting for you.

That's why I said I went overboard.....  not many Marines get to go to Iwo Jima, from what I understand, people only go for the ceremonies.  Although, there are a couple of care takers that live on the island.  She said that they just left a lot of the stuff there... jeeps completely overgrown, ordnance, etc.  ALL of the survivors wanted to walk up Suribachi for the ceremony.  Which meant they had to be helped or in some cases carried up.  I guess they were all standing in one line and wanted to go up with her. LOL  After the ceremony though, everyone rode down.  I guess where ever she was, all of the survivors were and she wonders if that didn't irritate the other Marines there.  She'd sit down for dinner and then all the survivors would be around her.  She got to hear all of the stories because they would circle around her and the other Marines would have to stand outside the circle.  They asked her if she had siblings and she said a sister and told them that she is a rappeller on a Forest Service helitack crew.  A couple didn't know what that was but once she explained that she is a wildland firefighter and rappels out of helicopters into forest fire starts, they were all "how bad ass is your dad" and she told them it was actually our mom.  I have a picture somewhere of her taking a picture of a note that said I was definitely a Marine mom and the baddest of the bad asses and everyone signed it.  

While she was there, she got a 2 liter bottle of the black sand and looking at it you can immediately tell why it jammed all of the weapons.  She didn't notice but she had picked up an unspent bullet. When she came home that Christmas, that sand was in her carry on, as it was to valuable to her to pack in her luggage.  That's when they found the bullet.. LOL  almost missed her flight from Oki to the mainland.  I have a bottle  of the black sand with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor etched on the front and the Iwo Jima statue on the back.  As much as that means to me, the bottle of sand I have from Oki means more.  My grandfather fought on Oki during WWII and my dad spent several weeks before and after going to Vietnam at  Oki for processing.  Again, the bottle has the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on the front and on the back lists my grandpa's name and when he was there (earned a bronze star), my dad's name and when he was there (he earned a silver star) and her name and the start of when she was stationed on Oki.  

When she came stateside, she was stationed at Miramar.  Off duty, she loved running around San Diego wearing her Boise State shirts, hats, shorts, etc. and she sometimes caught crap for it. My grandson was born at Pendleton (they call him a Searine - like liger, if you get what I mean).  Her only complaint was there were a couple of one way roads (or maybe just one) cut into the hillside and every time she had a big truck, she would always run into a tank on the same road and most of the time had to back up.  But a couple of times she was far enough a long, she made the tank back up.  :D

down in a hole.jpg

55 minutes ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Then you aren't familiar with the history of Japanese Americans. They were as patriotic to America as anyone else, even as they were caged up in the internment camps. They sent their sons to fight for the United States. If anything, we should put up memorials honoring the people who were unjustly imprisoned in the camps.

Many people do not know that the 442nd Infantry Regiment in WW2, made up almost entirely of second-generation Japanese-Americans, is considered the most decorated unit in history.

In only two years of combat the regiment and its members received 9,486 Purple Hearts, over 4,000 Bronze Star Medals, 21 Congressional Medals of Honor, and 8 Presidential Unit Citations.

There is a memorial in Washington DC dedicated to both the Japanese-Americans who served in the WW2 military and those who were interred in the camps. The Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism During World War II is located 2 blocks north of the Capitol Building.

https://www.nps.gov/places/japanese-american-memorial-to-patriotism-during-world-war-ii.htm

17 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

Many people do not know that the 442nd Infantry Regiment in WW2, made up almost entirely of second-generation Japanese-Americans, is considered the most decorated unit in history.

In only two years of combat the regiment and its members received 9,486 Purple Hearts, over 4,000 Bronze Star Medals, 21 Congressional Medals of Honor, and 8 Presidential Unit Citations.

There is a memorial in Washington DC dedicated to both the Japanese-Americans who served in the WW2 military and those who were interred in the camps. The Japanese American Memorial to Patriotism During World War II is located 2 blocks north of the Capitol Building.

https://www.nps.gov/places/japanese-american-memorial-to-patriotism-during-world-war-ii.htm

Not to mention the Navajos that helped our cause so much.  They had been treated like crap for hundreds of years. 

down in a hole.jpg

On 6/11/2020 at 1:45 PM, Warbow said:

I think the New England Patriots should change their name also. How dare people support a team that honors a country that loss a war to us. 

what about the UNLV rebels? Didn’t they call the south rebels during the civil war? I could be wrong on that one.

Ha ha, I called it. Rebels soon to be no more.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.