Coog kev

Confederate Things Torn Down

After googling, Mississippi never had a flag until the Civil War. so... are they actually honoring their history more by retiring this one without replacement????:hmmm:

48 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Why a bear? Were they like, well, have to have something on the standard to march behind?

I should know this off the top of my head but I dont. There were a lot of bears and the California brown bear was a pretty impressive and terrifying animal. It was either as big as or bigger than the kodiak. So my guess is that it was meant to be scary and cool.

42 minutes ago, happycamper said:

My dad told me "back in the old days the ranchers had all kinds of cattle and the most valuable thing on them was the leather. It was too hot/remote to take the meat. So ranchers would just slaughter and skin the cattle and leave most of the meat out to rot, or as it turns out, be eaten by bears. This is a pretty good way to increase the population of bears, so California had a LOT of bears". 

My dad's pretty smart and knows a lot of stuff and is also apt to repeat apocryphal stories and is also apt to just make shit up for fun. Usually the stuff he makes up is more fantastical though

Thilis seems like there's a kernel of truth in there. That's a believable scenario during the rancho years. 

14 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Why would Latinos be offended by a bear? 

Look up who created the CA Flag and what they did to find out. But Honestly my whole point was that they don't actually care as much about the flag or CA annexation as they care about the treatment of Latinos and Latino culture after the fact. This is why I referred to Louisiana, which retained its cultural identity when joining the Union. 

43 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Look up who created the CA Flag and what they did to find out. But Honestly my whole point was that they don't actually care as much about the flag or CA annexation as they care about the treatment of Latinos and Latino culture after the fact. This is why I referred to Louisiana, which retained its cultural identity when joining the Union. 

Still it’s a bear regardless who created it. Apparently there are some people upset by the bear. There is nothing racist or antagonistic about a bear. 

The official seal of my home town in New Mexico is now being targeted. The Conquistador imagery is now offensive.

FD67AACE-CE91-4AD3-AD65-42497BD7D8C2.jpeg

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Still it’s a bear regardless who created it. Apparently there are some people upset by the bear. There is nothing racist or antagonistic about a bear. 

There's nothing racist or antagonistic about stars or a big blue X either. Put them on a flag, and they symbolize something. 

For the record, anyone who thinks the CA flag should be changed is dumb. But things become symbols, and those symbols come to stand for other things. 

1 minute ago, sean327 said:

The official seal of my home town in New Mexico is now being targeted. The Conquistador imagery is now offensive.

FD67AACE-CE91-4AD3-AD65-42497BD7D8C2.jpeg

I was 14 when my school changed their mascot from the Mohawks to what it is now.  The city logo is a sailboat on the water.  Hopefully they won't say it is too privileged.  May have to switch the logo to a paddle boat. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Bold statement from someone who won't do minimum research

On 6/29/2020 at 12:09 PM, sean327 said:

I played it off pretty well. Just stood there and took my punishment for being a dumbass. 

Sean stubbornly standing there when most people would have turned tail and quit.  Shocked 😁

On 6/30/2020 at 12:42 PM, AztecSU said:

You mentioned the CA flag and thinking about it I am sorta shocked it hasn't been raised as an issue with Latinos/Latinx peoples. If they did change it I wouldnt give a damn though.

Curious.  What is the issue with the CA flag?   

On 6/30/2020 at 6:30 PM, smltwnrckr said:

Fun fact... it also depicts a California brown bear, which is now extinct. 

They actually aren’t convinced that the California Grizzly bear is any different genetically than the Montana Grizzlies.   In fact some discussion has occurred to reintroduce the Grizzly bear back into CA.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/grizzly-bears-might-return-to-california-is-the-state-ready

On 6/30/2020 at 12:42 PM, AztecSU said:

You mentioned the CA flag and thinking about it I am sorta shocked it hasn't been raised as an issue with Latinos/Latinx peoples. If they did change it I wouldnt give a damn though.

So I’m not Latino but why would the care the Bear Republic separated from Mexico?    

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

They actually aren’t convinced that the California Grizzly bear is any different genetically than the Montana Grizzlies.   In fact some discussion has occurred to reintroduce the Grizzly bear back into CA.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/grizzly-bears-might-return-to-california-is-the-state-ready

Is the same true for the kodiak? My understanding is that the california Grizzly was significantly larger on average than what you see in the Rockies. But I dunno I'd that is enough for a 'genetic' difference. 

Personally in think reintroduction is a bad idea. As much as I find Grizzlies to be among the most awesome animals to see in the wild....wolves being #1 imo.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Is the same true for the kodiak? My understanding is that the california Grizzly was significantly larger on average than what you see in the Rockies. But I dunno I'd that is enough for a 'genetic' difference. 

Personally in think reintroduction is a bad idea. As much as I find Grizzlies to be among the most awesome animals to see in the wild....wolves being #1 imo.

Here is the link on Genetics.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fitznaturalist.com/2018/03/29/difference-brown-and-grizzly-bears/amp/

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

So I’m not Latino but why would the care the Bear Republic separated from Mexico?    

I don't know that they do. I'm referring to modern day latinos commenting on the annexation of Louisiana v Alta California. Notice in Louisiana that French language and culture was permitted to remain as core to the states governance. Not so much for Spanish in CA. A lot of that has to do with the way CA became a state including the episode with the Bear Republic. I think its a captured v annexed legal difference, but I don't recall the exact details. 

7 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I don't know that they do. I'm referring to modern day latinos commenting on the annexation of Louisiana v Alta California. Notice in Louisiana that French language and culture was permitted to remain as core to the states governance. Not so much for Spanish in CA. A lot of that has to do with the way CA became a state including the episode with the Bear Republic. I think its a captured v annexed legal difference, but I don't recall the exact details. 

Well whether the state at the wanted it our not, California is heavily influenced by the Spanish language and culture.   Not to mention Gen. Vallejo actually wanted to separate from Mexico and join the US so he didn’t exactly put up a fight.