Coog kev

Confederate Things Torn Down

7 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Peaceably is the key word here. Throwing rocks and bottles at police and looting and destroying property doesn’t fall under peaceably. 

Agreed. Deal with the individuals though. Don't tear into those are demonstrating peacably.

6 hours ago, sean327 said:

When I got to my final unit in 2004 I committed a rookie mistake. I failed to inspect my gas mask when it was issued to me. I was in a hurry to get the check in process done and get to work unphucking the my new shop. I inherited a mess from the previous NCOIC. 6 months later I have to go to the gas chamber for annual block training. I get in the chamber and to my surprise my mask doesn’t have filters in it. My dumbass decided to just suck it up and ride it out. That was by far the worst gas chamber experience I ever had. 10X worse than boot camp. I rectified the no filter situation that day! It’s funny as hell now looking back, but damn that day sucked!

I know where you are coming from. Though not nearly as badly. My first time they forced us to do push-ups and sound off in the chamber unmasked. I had been carrying a chest cold for three weeks I couldn't shake. The damned CS gas knocked it out of me.

Hours later, after I had recovered from the experience my chest was 90% cleared and I was fine within 48 hours.

I do not recommend that course of treatment for bronchial infections.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

I know where you are coming from. Though not nearly as badly. My first time they forced us to do push-ups and sound off in the chamber unmasked. I had been carrying a chest cold for three weeks I couldn't shake. The damned CS gas knocked it out of me.

Hours later, after I had recovered from the experience my chest was 90% cleared and I was fine within 48 hours.

I had a nasty cold in boot camp when we went to the gas chamber. Cleared right up a day later. The whole platoon had the crud when we went up to Camp Pendleton. Gas chamber cured us.😀😀

27 minutes ago, sean327 said:

I had a nasty cold in boot camp when we went to the gas chamber. Cleared right up a day later. The whole platoon had the crud when we went up to Camp Pendleton. Gas chamber cured us.😀😀

How many would willingly take that cure ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, tspoke said:

I'm surprised the Georgia flag hasn't had a controversy.  Until this recent discussion about Mississippi's falg, I didn't know that the Georgia flag is essentially the actual flag of the confederates with the Georgia seal added. Not sure why the actual flag of the confederacy is less offensive than the battle flag. Even crazier to me is that the Georgia flag is new from 2003.

shutterstock-478456918.jpg

Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_Americ

Are you less offended by it?

8 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Are you less offended by it?

I'm a white guy from Wyoming with no history in the south or with either flag so I'm not really offended by either.:shrug: 

I get why others are but was just curious why at least to this point the Georgia flag was getting a pass. Not advocating for anything just wondering.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

so protests don't spread covid because of the widespread use of CS gas????

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

I'm a white guy from Wyoming with no history in the south or with either flag so I'm not really offended by either.:shrug: 

I get why others are but was just curious why at least to this point the Georgia flag was getting a pass. Not advocating for anything just wondering.

TBH the confederate-ness of the battle flag matters less than what people use it for. The actual flag really is just a flag at this point, to many.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

TBH the confederate-ness of the battle flag matters less than what people use it for. The actual flag really is just a flag at this point, to many.

Yeah I do see that. I guess it comes back to the  fact it doesn't make sense when people call it their heritage when they are using an obscure naval battle flag to represent their history of the confederacy. I get that the actual confederate flag wasn't used in similar manners but since they got the Mississippi flag was removed(rightfully so I would say, as someone with no skin in the game so my opinion doesn't matter), I was wondering when the Georgia flag would get its turn under the microscope. Figured it would have by now. It hasn't been used as hate the same way the other flag has but it is still a symbol of the confederacy.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah I do see that. I guess it comes back to the  fact it doesn't make sense when people call it their heritage when they are using an obscure naval battle flag to represent their history of the confederacy. I get that the actual confederate flag wasn't used in similar manners but since they got the Mississippi flag was removed(rightfully so I would say, as someone with no skin in the game so my opinion doesn't matter), I was wondering when the Georgia flag would get its turn under the microscope. Figured it would have by now. It hasn't been used as hate the same way the other flag has but it is still a symbol of the confederacy.

Some things become symbols, some things don't. I wouldn't be surprised if the Georgia flag changes too, but who knows? Hell, the Bear Flag in California has its own problematic history. At a certain point, you have to stop going down the rabbit hole.

13 hours ago, sean327 said:

Hmmm. Maybe you are onto something to cure the Cvirus. 

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Some things become symbols, some things don't. I wouldn't be surprised if the Georgia flag changes too, but who knows? Hell, the Bear Flag in California has its own problematic history. At a certain point, you have to stop going down the rabbit hole.

Well, I mean... the Georgia flag is literally just the original flag of the CSA.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

Well, I mean... the Georgia flag is literally just the original flag of the CSA.

No one is currently using it the same way they use the battle flag.  Probably why they aren't really talking about the Alabama or Florida flags either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

That's why I it will probably change. But it is interesting how some things become recognizable symbols and others don't. I'm sure there's some work on how the stars and bars became the symbol of the south after the war and not the actual CSA flag. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

No one is currently using it the same way they use the battle flag.  Probably why they aren't really talking about the Alabama or Florida flags either.

Bama's is a surrender rag as looking flag, at least FLorida has a seal in the middle to make it less obvious.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, Spaztecs said:

Andrew Jackson should come down. He defied a SCOTUS ruling in regards to the US Treaty with the Native Tribes of the SE US. His blatant violation of the Treaty led directly to the Trail of Tears.

Forget about the battle of New Orleans and War of 1812, who needs that in their history anyway.  
He was a staunch Democrat.  Democrats also created the KKK and pretty much dominated in the south for about a 100 years after the civil war.   The Democratic party should be disbanded as racist murderers!  

Just now, AztecSU said:

Bama's is a surrender rag as looking flag

One of the original confederate flags was essentially that.  The good old stainless banner.

7 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

That's why I it will probably change. But it is interesting how some things become recognizable symbols and others don't. I'm sure there's some work on how the stars and bars became the symbol of the south after the war and not the actual CSA flag. 

You mentioned the CA flag and thinking about it I am sorta shocked it hasn't been raised as an issue with Latinos/Latinx peoples. If they did change it I wouldnt give a damn though.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

One of the original confederate flags was essentially that.  The good old stainless banner.

One mans purity symbol is another man's treason rag

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

Forget about the battle of New Orleans and War of 1812, who needs that in their history anyway.  
He was a staunch Democrat.  Democrats also created the KKK and pretty much dominated in the south for about a 100 years after the civil war.   The Democratic party should be disbanded as racist murderers!  

Get rid of both.  GOP today is not the GOP pre-70's.  And frankly, today's versions of GOP and Democrat are absolute embarassments.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

You mentioned the CA flag and thinking about it I am sorta shocked it hasn't been raised as an issue with Latinos/Latinx peoples. If they did change it I wouldnt give a damn though.

It has been raised as an issue, at least in circles I run in. But not with any serious sort of way. The Latinx activists I see tend to protest about the existence of California in general - that this is all stolen land and belongs to Mexico, which kind of makes a debate about representation a non-starter for anyone serious.