Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Confederate Things Torn Down

2 hours ago, AztecSU said:

I don't know that they do. I'm referring to modern day latinos commenting on the annexation of Louisiana v Alta California. Notice in Louisiana that French language and culture was permitted to remain as core to the states governance. Not so much for Spanish in CA. A lot of that has to do with the way CA became a state including the episode with the Bear Republic. I think its a captured v annexed legal difference, but I don't recall the exact details. 

California's first state constitution in 1849 was written in both English and Spanish.

That first constitution declared both were the state's official languages. There was even created an official State Translator to translate laws and state documents from English to Spanish.

Article XI Sec. 21 – All laws, decrees, regulations, and provisions, which from their nature require publication, shall be published in English and Spanish.

https://archives.cdn.sos.ca.gov/collections/1849/images/const15.jpg

The 1879 State Constitutional Convention was dominated by men with different views. None were from the original Spanish Californio families and most belonged to a nativist party. They threw out the official bilingual clause. One of those at the convention said that those "foreigners" had had 30 years to learn English and that was enough.

2 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

California's first state constitution in 1849 was written in both English and Spanish.

That first constitution declared both were the state's official languages. There was even created an official State Translator to translate laws and state documents from English to Spanish.

The 1879 State Constitutional Convention was dominated by men with different views. None were from the original Spanish Californio families and most belonged to a nativist party. They threw out the official bilingual clause. One of those at the convention said that those "foreigners" had had 30 years to learn English and that was enough.

Nice info, thanks for sharing. I wonder what CA's court and municipality structure was or if it even changed before and after. 

25 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Nice info, thanks for sharing. I wonder what CA's court and municipality structure was or if it even changed before and after. 

Courts operated in both English and Spanish during the first 30 years. That was brought up in the debate in 1879.

The debate proceedings of the 1879 Convention are online and make for interesting reading. Some of the arguments for English only and against other groups such as immigrants are the same ones used today.

For example:

Mr. WEST. Mr. Chairman: I have as high regard, sir, as any man for the foreign element of citizens of this State who have come here and identified themselves with the institutions of this country, and assimilated, they and their families, with its institutions; but I have no regard for that demagogism that panders to this foreign element, that follows it for years and years for the sake of the votes it affords on election days. I speak whereof I know when I say that hundreds of those who pretend to be citizens of California are recent immigrants from Sonora and other portions of Mexico, some of them bandits, cutthroats, and robbers, that come in and are placed on the Great Register, and vote ... while the Dutchman, and the Irishman, and the Frenchman must be naturalized and come in, in the regular way. It is an abuse, it is an outrage upon the institutions of our country. On election day they are corralled and voted, when they have not been in the State five days.

I have no regard for that demagogism that panders to this foreign element, that follows it for years and years for the sake of the votes it affords on election days. I speak whereof I know when I say that hundreds of those who pretend to be citizens of California are recent immigrants from Sonora and other portions of Mexico, some of them bandits, cutthroats, and robbers, that come in and are placed on the Great Register, and vote

Holy shit did Trump lift his campaign launching speech?