Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Confederate Things Torn Down

The official seal of my home town in New Mexico is now being targeted. The Conquistador imagery is now offensive.

FD67AACE-CE91-4AD3-AD65-42497BD7D8C2.jpeg

4 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Still it’s a bear regardless who created it. Apparently there are some people upset by the bear. There is nothing racist or antagonistic about a bear. 

There's nothing racist or antagonistic about stars or a big blue X either. Put them on a flag, and they symbolize something. 

For the record, anyone who thinks the CA flag should be changed is dumb. But things become symbols, and those symbols come to stand for other things. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, sean327 said:

The official seal of my home town in New Mexico is now being targeted. The Conquistador imagery is now offensive.

FD67AACE-CE91-4AD3-AD65-42497BD7D8C2.jpeg

I was 14 when my school changed their mascot from the Mohawks to what it is now.  The city logo is a sailboat on the water.  Hopefully they won't say it is too privileged.  May have to switch the logo to a paddle boat. 

13 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

Still it’s a bear regardless who created it. Apparently there are some people upset by the bear. There is nothing racist or antagonistic about a bear. 

Bold statement from someone who won't do minimum research

On 6/29/2020 at 12:09 PM, sean327 said:

I played it off pretty well. Just stood there and took my punishment for being a dumbass. 

Sean stubbornly standing there when most people would have turned tail and quit.  Shocked 😁

On 6/30/2020 at 12:42 PM, AztecSU said:

You mentioned the CA flag and thinking about it I am sorta shocked it hasn't been raised as an issue with Latinos/Latinx peoples. If they did change it I wouldnt give a damn though.

Curious.  What is the issue with the CA flag?   

On 6/30/2020 at 6:30 PM, smltwnrckr said:

Fun fact... it also depicts a California brown bear, which is now extinct. 

They actually aren’t convinced that the California Grizzly bear is any different genetically than the Montana Grizzlies.   In fact some discussion has occurred to reintroduce the Grizzly bear back into CA.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/grizzly-bears-might-return-to-california-is-the-state-ready

On 6/30/2020 at 12:42 PM, AztecSU said:

You mentioned the CA flag and thinking about it I am sorta shocked it hasn't been raised as an issue with Latinos/Latinx peoples. If they did change it I wouldnt give a damn though.

So I’m not Latino but why would the care the Bear Republic separated from Mexico?    

3 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

They actually aren’t convinced that the California Grizzly bear is any different genetically than the Montana Grizzlies.   In fact some discussion has occurred to reintroduce the Grizzly bear back into CA.

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/grizzly-bears-might-return-to-california-is-the-state-ready

Is the same true for the kodiak? My understanding is that the california Grizzly was significantly larger on average than what you see in the Rockies. But I dunno I'd that is enough for a 'genetic' difference. 

Personally in think reintroduction is a bad idea. As much as I find Grizzlies to be among the most awesome animals to see in the wild....wolves being #1 imo.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 minute ago, smltwnrckr said:

Is the same true for the kodiak? My understanding is that the california Grizzly was significantly larger on average than what you see in the Rockies. But I dunno I'd that is enough for a 'genetic' difference. 

Personally in think reintroduction is a bad idea. As much as I find Grizzlies to be among the most awesome animals to see in the wild....wolves being #1 imo.

Here is the link on Genetics.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fitznaturalist.com/2018/03/29/difference-brown-and-grizzly-bears/amp/

8 hours ago, sactowndog said:

So I’m not Latino but why would the care the Bear Republic separated from Mexico?    

I don't know that they do. I'm referring to modern day latinos commenting on the annexation of Louisiana v Alta California. Notice in Louisiana that French language and culture was permitted to remain as core to the states governance. Not so much for Spanish in CA. A lot of that has to do with the way CA became a state including the episode with the Bear Republic. I think its a captured v annexed legal difference, but I don't recall the exact details. 

7 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

I don't know that they do. I'm referring to modern day latinos commenting on the annexation of Louisiana v Alta California. Notice in Louisiana that French language and culture was permitted to remain as core to the states governance. Not so much for Spanish in CA. A lot of that has to do with the way CA became a state including the episode with the Bear Republic. I think its a captured v annexed legal difference, but I don't recall the exact details. 

Well whether the state at the wanted it our not, California is heavily influenced by the Spanish language and culture.   Not to mention Gen. Vallejo actually wanted to separate from Mexico and join the US so he didn’t exactly put up a fight.   

On 6/17/2020 at 8:58 AM, pokerider said:

Top California legislators on Tuesday said that the statue of Christopher Columbus in the state's Capitol building, which has been there since 1883, would be removed because the 15th-century explorer is a "deeply polarizing historical figure."

So its going to end up anything that offends anyone will be subject to removal then.  

Who'd of thunk it huh?  This stuff has nothing to do with racism or Confederacy or anything like that.  It has to do with liberal hate groups that simply hate the country and most things it stands for.  They look for anything negative and amplify it while completely ignoring and basically trying to erase all the positives that have happened so they can only support their narrative.  

The only Confederate symbol that really matters...

white-flag-e1393111695389-570x383.jpg?re

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 6/28/2020 at 5:42 PM, Spaztecs said:

Andrew Jackson should come down. He defied a SCOTUS ruling in regards to the US Treaty with the Native Tribes of the SE US. His blatant violation of the Treaty led directly to the Trail of Tears.

^ ^ ^ Reasons why Andrew Jackson is Donald Trump's hero ^ ^ ^