Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Confederate Things Torn Down

8 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Are you less offended by it?

I'm a white guy from Wyoming with no history in the south or with either flag so I'm not really offended by either.:shrug: 

I get why others are but was just curious why at least to this point the Georgia flag was getting a pass. Not advocating for anything just wondering.

13 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

I know where you are coming from. Though not nearly as badly. My first time they forced us to do push-ups and sound off in the chamber unmasked. I had been carrying a chest cold for three weeks I couldn't shake. The damned CS gas knocked it out of me.

Hours later, after I had recovered from the experience my chest was 90% cleared and I was fine within 48 hours.

I do not recommend that course of treatment for bronchial infections.

so protests don't spread covid because of the widespread use of CS gas????

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

I'm a white guy from Wyoming with no history in the south or with either flag so I'm not really offended by either.:shrug: 

I get why others are but was just curious why at least to this point the Georgia flag was getting a pass. Not advocating for anything just wondering.

TBH the confederate-ness of the battle flag matters less than what people use it for. The actual flag really is just a flag at this point, to many.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

TBH the confederate-ness of the battle flag matters less than what people use it for. The actual flag really is just a flag at this point, to many.

Yeah I do see that. I guess it comes back to the  fact it doesn't make sense when people call it their heritage when they are using an obscure naval battle flag to represent their history of the confederacy. I get that the actual confederate flag wasn't used in similar manners but since they got the Mississippi flag was removed(rightfully so I would say, as someone with no skin in the game so my opinion doesn't matter), I was wondering when the Georgia flag would get its turn under the microscope. Figured it would have by now. It hasn't been used as hate the same way the other flag has but it is still a symbol of the confederacy.

54 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah I do see that. I guess it comes back to the  fact it doesn't make sense when people call it their heritage when they are using an obscure naval battle flag to represent their history of the confederacy. I get that the actual confederate flag wasn't used in similar manners but since they got the Mississippi flag was removed(rightfully so I would say, as someone with no skin in the game so my opinion doesn't matter), I was wondering when the Georgia flag would get its turn under the microscope. Figured it would have by now. It hasn't been used as hate the same way the other flag has but it is still a symbol of the confederacy.

Some things become symbols, some things don't. I wouldn't be surprised if the Georgia flag changes too, but who knows? Hell, the Bear Flag in California has its own problematic history. At a certain point, you have to stop going down the rabbit hole.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

13 hours ago, sean327 said:

I had a nasty cold in boot camp when we went to the gas chamber. Cleared right up a day later. The whole platoon had the crud when we went up to Camp Pendleton. Gas chamber cured us.😀😀

Hmmm. Maybe you are onto something to cure the Cvirus. 

2 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Some things become symbols, some things don't. I wouldn't be surprised if the Georgia flag changes too, but who knows? Hell, the Bear Flag in California has its own problematic history. At a certain point, you have to stop going down the rabbit hole.

Well, I mean... the Georgia flag is literally just the original flag of the CSA.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

Well, I mean... the Georgia flag is literally just the original flag of the CSA.

No one is currently using it the same way they use the battle flag.  Probably why they aren't really talking about the Alabama or Florida flags either.

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

That's why I it will probably change. But it is interesting how some things become recognizable symbols and others don't. I'm sure there's some work on how the stars and bars became the symbol of the south after the war and not the actual CSA flag. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

7 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

No one is currently using it the same way they use the battle flag.  Probably why they aren't really talking about the Alabama or Florida flags either.

Bama's is a surrender rag as looking flag, at least FLorida has a seal in the middle to make it less obvious.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:42 PM, Spaztecs said:

Andrew Jackson should come down. He defied a SCOTUS ruling in regards to the US Treaty with the Native Tribes of the SE US. His blatant violation of the Treaty led directly to the Trail of Tears.

Forget about the battle of New Orleans and War of 1812, who needs that in their history anyway.  
He was a staunch Democrat.  Democrats also created the KKK and pretty much dominated in the south for about a 100 years after the civil war.   The Democratic party should be disbanded as racist murderers!  

7 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

That's why I it will probably change. But it is interesting how some things become recognizable symbols and others don't. I'm sure there's some work on how the stars and bars became the symbol of the south after the war and not the actual CSA flag. 

You mentioned the CA flag and thinking about it I am sorta shocked it hasn't been raised as an issue with Latinos/Latinx peoples. If they did change it I wouldnt give a damn though.

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

One of the original confederate flags was essentially that.  The good old stainless banner.

One mans purity symbol is another man's treason rag

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

Forget about the battle of New Orleans and War of 1812, who needs that in their history anyway.  
He was a staunch Democrat.  Democrats also created the KKK and pretty much dominated in the south for about a 100 years after the civil war.   The Democratic party should be disbanded as racist murderers!  

Get rid of both.  GOP today is not the GOP pre-70's.  And frankly, today's versions of GOP and Democrat are absolute embarassments.

1 minute ago, AztecSU said:

You mentioned the CA flag and thinking about it I am sorta shocked it hasn't been raised as an issue with Latinos/Latinx peoples. If they did change it I wouldnt give a damn though.

It has been raised as an issue, at least in circles I run in. But not with any serious sort of way. The Latinx activists I see tend to protest about the existence of California in general - that this is all stolen land and belongs to Mexico, which kind of makes a debate about representation a non-starter for anyone serious.

8 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

It has been raised as an issue, at least in circles I run in. But not with any serious sort of way. The Latinx activists I see tend to protest about the existence of California in general - that this is all stolen land and belongs to Mexico, which kind of makes a debate about representation a non-starter for anyone serious.

Well iirc the legality of CA's annexation is debatable. But I think the real issue for folks is when they compare how Louisiana and French culture/language was handled vs CA and Spanish culture/language

12 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

how do all the latinx activists who aren't Mexican-American feel about that? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

15 minutes ago, happycamper said:

how do all the latinx activists who aren't Mexican-American feel about that? 

Oh man, you wanna talk about rabbit holes...

1 hour ago, pokerider said:

It doesn't matter how many battles you have won. Besides, the Battle of Narlins' occurred after the Peace Treaty was signed. His actions in violating SCOTUS rulings in regards to Treaties with the Natives led not only to the Trail of Tears but was the mechanism by which the genocide and seizure of native Lands was based. 

He's a POS in my book and Trump's admiration of him cemented that fact 

The Dem party that existed prior to LBJ forcing Civil Rights down it's throat, I agree with you on. Truth of the matter is, after that the DixieCrats flocked to Wallace in 68 and 72. Then jumped on the Ronnie RayGuns bandwagon in 1980. The R party has been home to Racism ever since.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

57 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

It doesn't matter how many battles you have won. Besides, the Battle of Narlins' occurred after the Peace Treaty was signed. His actions in violating SCOTUS rulings in regards to Treaties with the Natives led not only to the Trail of Tears but was the mechanism by which the genocide and seizure of native Lands was based. 

He's a POS in my book and Trump's admiration of him cemented that fact 

The Dem party that existed prior to LBJ forcing Civil Rights down it's throat, I agree with you on. Truth of the matter is, after that the DixieCrats flocked to Wallace in 68 and 72. Then jumped on the Ronnie RayGuns bandwagon in 1980. The R party has been home to Racism ever since.

In Colorado everyone knows that Boulder is about the most liberal city there, and Aurora has the most blacks, they are both the most racist towns in the state.  
And its well documented how all these large democratic run cities have the most racism as well.  The facts show that you put a large number of blacks with a large number of liberals and you have a dysfunctional, chaotic and class-based mindset where racism seems to flourish.