Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Confederate Things Torn Down

12 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

With Billy clubs and significant jail terms to start.

I don't believe our police have the training to not simply beat everyone in the street.  We have seen it for a month where a handful of assholes start shouting at cops, and the teargas flies at everyone.  Obviously if you get caught in a store, or get caught with the rope in your hand, you are going to jail.  But that will turn into a big problem if it is anymore than that.  And nothing will be gained.

27 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I don't believe our police have the training to not simply beat everyone in the street.  We have seen it for a month where a handful of assholes start shouting at cops, and the teargas flies at everyone.  Obviously if you get caught in a store, or get caught with the rope in your hand, you are going to jail.  But that will turn into a big problem if it is anymore than that.  And nothing will be gained.

I’m not justifying everything the police do but put yourself in their shoes.  I’m sure they all want to go home at the end of the day to their loved ones.  Tear gas while not pleasant is much better than actual ballets no????

3 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

I’m not justifying everything the police do but put yourself in their shoes.  I’m sure they all want to go home at the end of the day to their loved ones.  Tear gas while not pleasant is much better than actual ballets no????

The use of CS gas or what is commonly known as tear gas is banned for use on the battlefield by Geneva Convention and numerous other chemical weapons ban treaties, yet police departments have zero issue using it on American citizens in American cities. Think about that for a minute. Rules of engagement, and rules for what weapons can or can’t be used are way stricter for the military than they are for law enforcement. That’s a huge issue for me.

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

And now Teddy Roosevelt comes down.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/us/new-york-theodore-roosevelt-statue-removal-trnd/index.html

I always considered myself a TR Square Deal kind of guy. The Pres I most admired.

Now, the mob has decided he is a racist and a Colonialist.

Are there any Americans worth honoring ?

What comes down next ?

Teddy Bears ?

Lincoln is next, didn’t you hear?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

2 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

Let’s get rid of tear gas and use live ammo then...  problem solved

There are many other less than lethal options out there that can be used for crowd control besides tear gas. 

10 minutes ago, Wyoguns said:

Which is why there needs to be diligence on who they are going after.  The last few weeks have seen not just a flat out anarchist mentality amongst citizens using the shield of protest to carry out their crimes, but police have been put into unsavory situations where they have brutalized and injured citizens, many of which did nothing more than be present, under the shield of crowd control and protest security.  

It's a bad situation and I don't want it to get worse.  They need to target the people causing destruction, and they need to somehow work with protesters (again, not the destroyers) to mutually achieve goals and keep as much peace as possible.

4 minutes ago, sean327 said:

There are many other less than lethal options out there that can be used for crowd control besides tear gas. 

Rubber bullets?  I don’t know honestly.  I saw what a rubber bullet can do to ones face and it didn’t look fun either.

2 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

And now Teddy Roosevelt comes down.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/us/new-york-theodore-roosevelt-statue-removal-trnd/index.html

I always considered myself a TR Square Deal kind of guy. The Pres I most admired.

Now, the mob has decided he is a racist and a Colonialist.

Are there any Americans worth honoring ?

What comes down next ?

Teddy Bears ?

Even his Republican great-grandson said the statue should come be moved. As I posted in this thread 2 pages back on Sunday:

“The world does not need statues, relics of another age, that reflect neither the values of the person they intend to honor nor the values of equality and justice,” said Theodore Roosevelt IV, 77, a great-grandson of the 26th president and a museum trustee. “The composition of the Equestrian Statue does not reflect Theodore Roosevelt’s legacy. It is time to move the statue and move forward.”

In the cases of Roosevelt and Lincoln, neither man is the target of ire.  The individual statues in question are the issue.  Both have, in the eye of the beholder, somewhat questionable representations.  And given the current mental state of the nation, now would be the time to act upon such thoughts, if one were so inclined.  Nothing that would have drawn my attention necessarily, to be honest, but then I am neither black nor Native American. 

So far as I know...

So while there has been some level of overreaction to some statues, so too has there been a level of overreaction to the the, um, overreaction.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 6/10/2020 at 4:56 PM, Warbow said:

Just curious, are there any statutes of Nazi generals or are there any German military installations named after Nazi generals in Germany? 

Serious question...is the Soviet Union flag the same as the Russian flag?

Just catching up on this thread and didn't see anyone respond to you.

The answer to your second question is a definite no.

The answer to the first is that's highly unlikely. For example, it is illegal to fly the Nazi swastika flag in modern Germany. With anti-Nazi vehemence like that, I can't believe anyone would dare try to erect a statue honoring even a non-Nazi WWII general like Erwin Rommel. (Rommel was a Wehrmacht field marshal, in other words, the traditional side of the army. The Nazi side of the military, started by Heinrich Himmler, was the Waffen SS.)

12 hours ago, toonkee said:

The institutions are failing before our very eyes. People no longer believe in them. There is no trust in any of the authoritative systems. The police, the judiciary, Congress, the presidency, the DOJ, the press. The mob is taking over in the vaccum of faith and that's really bad. Trump's rhetoric is not the cause of this disease but he's one hell of an accelerant. What's going to happen if Derick Chauvin is found not guilty because the jurors felt he followed the law? And what is going to happen if jurors convict him to appease the mob? That's just as scary. Now understand I do not proclaim he is innocent in any way, shape or form, but God help us.

Chauvin will move to Couer D'alene: https://suburbanstats.org/race/idaho/coeur-d_alene/how-many-black-or-african-american-people-live-in-coeur-d_alene-idaho

Mark Fuhrman moved there after being such a great witness for the prosecution in the OJ murder trial. And probably the most racist person I ever met, my good friend's former brother-in-law, moved there about 20 years ago. Last I heard the guy had returned to SoCal which certainly hasn't gotten any whiter since he left. However, word is he's stopped drinking so maybe that will save his life in more ways than one.

3 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

With Billy clubs and significant jail terms to start.

so your cure is much worse than the disease. wonderful

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Just now, modestobulldog said:

Law & Order > Chaos & Lawlessness

tfw you are so right wing you start mimicking the USSR's criticisms of America

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Just catching up on this thread and didn't see anyone respond to you.

The answer to your second question is a definite no.

The answer to the first is that's highly unlikely. For example, it is illegal to fly the Nazi swastika flag in modern Germany. With anti-Nazi vehemence like that, I can't believe anyone would dare try to erect a statue honoring even a non-Nazi WWII general like Erwin Rommel. (Rommel was a Wehrmacht field marshal, in other words, the traditional side of the army. The Nazi side of the military, started by Heinrich Himmler, was the Waffen SS.)

There are several recognitions to Rommel in Germany.

Unlike other prominent World War II-era Germans, Rommel has escaped mass vilification. In fact, his name still graces two military bases and several streets in Germany, and a monument in his hometown praises him as “chivalrous,” “brave” and a “victim of tyranny.” Yet detractors remain, including a German historian who recently called him a “deeply convinced Nazi” and “an anti-Semite” who used North African Jews as slave laborers. At the very least, most historians agree, Rommel likely cared more for his career than he did about Nazi atrocities.

https://www.history.com/news/8-things-you-may-not-know-about-erwin-rommel

12 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

This isn’t about George Floyd or Chauvin. It hasn’t been for weeks.

True, but Chauvin being found innocent or getting off would throw gasoline on the fire, would likely spark massive riots.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

1 hour ago, RSF said:

In the cases of Roosevelt and Lincoln, neither man is the target of ire.  The individual statues in question are the issue.  Both have, in the eye of the beholder, somewhat questionable representations.  And given the current mental state of the nation, now would be the time to act upon such thoughts, if one were so inclined.  Nothing that would have drawn my attention necessarily, to be honest, but then I am neither black nor Native American. 

So far as I know...

So while there has been some level of overreaction to some statues, so too has there been a level of overreaction to the the, um, overreaction.

THEY SHOULD ALL BE GUNNED DOWN!!! 

(Overreacting to the overreaction to the overreaction. Carry on people.)

3 minutes ago, Mano said:

True, but Chauvin being found innocent or getting off would throw gasoline on the fire, would likely spark massive riots.

Lol, as opposed to the peaceful protests we’ve been seeing?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

Lol, as opposed to the peaceful protests we’ve been seeing?

You don't think it would get much worse if it were announced that Chauvin is getting off?

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan