Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

Confederate Things Torn Down

First and foremost of all, being from the South in SE Texas a while ago..I was used to tell tale Confederate things lingering.  I never really understood it.  Especially the Confederate battle flag rearing its way with a bunch of drunken, idiot white people.  I was born decades/eons after the KKK days in the South.  Nonetheless this was an ancestry legacy of SE highly rural Texas abutting Louisiana.

I did not grow up this way in big ole Hou. I dig Southern cooking. I dig Southern culture in all of its diverse forms in a modern way. 

What is not modern at all?  The lingering shrines to the Confederate States and their statues.  Texas tore em down, little as they were in Texas by the 1990s way before what is and should be happening now.  Tear them down.  All of them.  Screw Ole Miss, Alabama, parts of North Carolina...get rid of that awful legacy to something that No One should be proud of at all.  Let alone have a lingering statue or shrine embolden to an awful part of America's history. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Excellent point.  If you are rightfully ashamed of your history, it's probably best to hide it.

Nothing to be celebrated about the confederacy at all, but trying to eliminate it's role in the evolution of our country is chickenshit.  Between 2% and 2.5% of our entire population died in that war.  So depending on the historian, between 650,000 and 750,000  Americans died in roughly four years in a war that determined the future of slavery and freedom in our country.  You call them "shrines", I call them history.  One of the most important threads in the fabric of our nation.  There is no greater disservice to future generations than to tear them down and act as though they didn't exist.  They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  How can you learn from history if you don't face it?

9 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Excellent point.  If you are rightfully ashamed of your history, it's probably best to hide it.

Nothing to be celebrated about the confederacy at all, but trying to eliminate it's role in the evolution of our country is chickenshit.  Between 2% and 2.5% of our entire population died in that war.  So depending on the historian, between 650,000 and 750,000  Americans died in roughly four years in a war that determined the future of slavery and freedom in our country.  You call them "shrines", I call them history.  One of the most important threads in the fabric of our nation.  There is no greater disservice to future generations than to tear them down and act as though they didn't exist.  They say that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  How can you learn from history if you don't face it?

We don't need monuments to know the history.  It is not like they are ancient historical pieces like you find scattered across the rest of the world.  They were erected, mostly, in the 20th century.  

We have books, journals just a myriad of historical sources readily available on the Civil War.

Never understood the celebration in the form of shrines, statues, and public places named after traitors to the Union that is now recognized as the United States.  The confederacy was an insurrection at it's core and was properly put down by a constitutional government.  Any support of confederate culture is counter to everything this country stands for.  

1 minute ago, PokeTransplant said:

Never understood the celebration in the form of shrines, statues, and public places named after traitors to the Union that is now recognized as the United States.  The confederacy was an insurrection at it's core and was properly put down by a constitutional government.  Any support of confederate culture is counter to everything this country stands for.  

I think we see it almost the same.  We both see the confederacy in the same light.  You see monuments as shrines, I see them as markers.  A record of our journey as a country.  I don't buy the argument that we have books and stuff.  That stuff is malleable, it can be rewritten or eliminated altogether.  Monuments create discussion and research.  They tell a story that we can't ever afford to forget.  I don't think we can afford to try and erase physical reminders of the darkest days of this country.  They may be repulsive or at least uncomfortable, but hiding them is disingenuous.  That shit happened.  I think it's wrong to remove history, even ugly history.  That's the thing we need to keep from repeating it.

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I think we see it almost the same.  We both see the confederacy in the same light.  You see monuments as shrines, I see them as markers.  A record of our journey as a country.  I don't buy the argument that we have books and stuff.  That stuff is malleable, it can be rewritten or eliminated altogether.  Monuments create discussion and research.  They tell a story that we can't ever afford to forget.  I don't think we can afford to try and erase physical reminders of the darkest days of this country.  They may be repulsive or at least uncomfortable, but hiding them is disingenuous.  That shit happened.  I think it's wrong to remove history, even ugly history.  That's the thing we need to keep from repeating it.

Then put them in museums. 

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

I don't think hiding them or destroying them is a solution.  But, when they are celebrated as landmarks, that's where I believe the message is getting twisted.  Put them in a museum, make them part of the public discussion, but don't name schools, parks, public buildings after them.

7 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

It does the opposite, it idolize and celebrates them. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

23 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Understand it or celebrate it @Headbutt ?

I have no problem with remembering history but would prefer to put the in a place like Momento Park....  put the statues in context both positive and negative.  And it’s not just one way or the other. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_Park

14 minutes ago, PokeTransplant said:

Meanwhile, the BB has a thread going where people are trying to claim that the Confederate Battle Flag isn't the flag of traitors, and that saying that the South committed treason is a liberal media lie. 

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

Meanwhile, the BB has a thread going where people are trying to claim that the Confederate Battle Flag isn't the flag of traitors, and that saying that the South committed treason is a liberal media lie. 

The BB posters are wise to stay away from here.  I invited @Fangdog to post here years ago and he sent me a message about what a liberal cess pool this board is.

1 minute ago, retrofade said:

If they got their own flag, they committed treason, simple as that.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The BB posters are wise to stay away from here.  I invited @Fangdog to post here years ago and he sent me a message about what a liberal cess pool this board is.

We have some sane ones of various political persuasions, and then we have others who say my political beliefs are further left than Karl Marx. 

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Graveyards are a good location too.

There is only one monument I thought should remain public and that was the monument to the unnamed soldier.  

Hmm, put confederate generals monuments in union cemeteries and union Generals monuments in confederate cemetaries. Plaques beneath monuments state ' this/these were the man/men responsible for the graves beneath' et al. 

13 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

What history are the monuments teaching?  Your argument is flawed on it's face.  If the beneficial purpose is that it will get people to talk about and learn the history where will they turn?  To books, journals, letters and papers.  You can not learn from a statue.  But you say those things are malleable and thus can not be trusted to tell the history to future generations.  So, how does that work? 

7 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Are you Fing kidding me?

10 minutes ago, PokeTransplant said:

I don't think hiding them or destroying them is a solution.  But, when they are celebrated as landmarks, that's where I believe the message is getting twisted.  Put them in a museum, make them part of the public discussion, but don't name schools, parks, public buildings after them.

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. Should we rename all schools, streets, and buildings named after them? Should we remove their faces from Mount Rushmore?