Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RamSack

THE Problem with the Death Penalty...

23 hours ago, Headbutt said:

State funded abortion OK?  Just curious.

That's a false equivalency, but I'll assume that you're approaching it in good faith. There already exists state funded abortion in certain circumstances under the Medicaid system, which aren't in violation of the Hyde Amendment. The significant difference in the two scenarios is that one is state sanctioned and carried out execution while the other is a legally permissible and accepted medical procedure. 

1 hour ago, Warbow said:

I say we just let the victim(s) pick the punishment. You kill a family member of mine, your punishment would be I pick a family member of yours to be killed. That should stop a lot of violence crimes.

This is just a horrible take.  

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

That's a false equivalency, but I'll assume that you're approaching it in good faith. There already exists state funded abortion in certain circumstances under the Medicaid system, which aren't in violation of the Hyde Amendment. The significant difference in the two scenarios is that one is state sanctioned and carried out execution while the other is a legally permissible and accepted medical procedure. 

That's a terrible post and you know it.  As long as the government funds Planned Parenthood, we have state funded abortion.  Twist it any way you want, but you'll be wrong.  If my taxes are paying for it, it's state sanctioned.

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

That's a terrible post and you know it.  As long as the government funds Planned Parenthood, we have state funded abortion.  Twist it any way you want, but you'll be wrong.  If my taxes are paying for it, it's state sanctioned.

That's a factually inaccurate post, and I hope that you know it. I don't have the time or energy to get into it with you about it right now though. As has been proven here over the last 10+ years, it's a never ending battle that nobody is ever going to give an inch on. The point that I'm making is that comparing abortion with the death penalty is a false equivalency and anyone with half a brain or modicum of self respect should be able to admit it. If you want to have a discussion about the ethical and moral implications of the death penalty, I'm more than happy to go there... but if all you want to do is bring abortion into the discussion to try and brute force your way to a point, then I have no interest in it.

7 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This is just a horrible take.  

“Try it, what you got to lose?“

Lol

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Just now, retrofade said:

That's a factually inaccurate post, and I hope that you know it. I don't have the time or energy to get into it with you about it right now though. As has been proven here over the last 10+ years, it's a never ending battle that nobody is ever going to give an inch on. The point that I'm making is that comparing abortion with the death penalty is a false equivalency and anyone with half a brain or modicum of self respect should be able to admit it. If you want to have a discussion about the ethical and moral implications of the death penalty, I'm more than happy to go there... but if all you want to do is bring abortion into the discussion to try and brute force your way to a point, then I have no interest in it.

Ok.  Fair enough.  We'll only talk about stuff that your on board with.

That's not factually inaccurate.  Comparing abortion with the death penalty is not a false equivalency, and who the hell are you to accuse others of only having half a brain?  I don't think I can have a discussion about the ethical and moral implications of the government sanctioning the death of the most vicious criminals without considering the ethical and moral implications of the government sanctioning the death of innocent lives.  You don't want to go there?  Fine.  But that's where I stand.

15 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

That's not factually inaccurate.  Comparing abortion with the death penalty is not a false equivalency, and who the hell are you to accuse others of only having half a brain?  I don't think I can have a discussion about the ethical and moral implications of the government sanctioning the death of the most vicious criminals without considering the ethical and moral implications of the government sanctioning the death of innocent lives.  You don't want to go there?  Fine.  But that's where I stand.

You've even taken it a step further here to create a false equivalency about a false equivalency. You can absolutely have a discussion about one without bringing the other into the mix. 

19 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

If abortion as a form of birth control is wrong, then surely you agree the death penalty is wrong as well?  Correct?

Just now, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If abortion as a form of birth control is wrong, the surely you agree the death penalty is wrong as well?  Correct?

You'd think so, but.....

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If abortion as a form of birth control is wrong, the surely you agree the death penalty is wrong as well?  Correct?

Sure.  I'd say one works on a little higher moral ground than the other, due to the incentive for carrying out the act, but I absolutely see the equivalency.  If your going to take a life, you need a damn good reason.  Convenience isn't good enough for me.  It's legal, but don't try and tell me it's not state sanctioned if I'm paying for it.

9 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Sure.  I'd say one works on a little higher moral ground than the other, due to the incentive for carrying out the act, but I absolutely see the equivalency.  If your going to take a life, you need a damn good reason.  Convenience isn't good enough for me.  It's legal, but don't try and tell me it's not state sanctioned if I'm paying for it.

I do not think state sanctioned vengeance resulting in ritualistic killing when the target poses no threat to the free, operates on any moral ground whatsoever.

Abortion as a form of birth control I find to be barbaric as well.  

30 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I do not think state sanctioned vengeance resulting in ritualistic killing when the target poses no threat to the free, operates on any moral ground whatsoever.

Abortion as a form of birth control I find to be barbaric as well.  

Just curious, and very much a misdirection but it does tie in to the topic IMO.  What do you think of killing in war.  It's abhorrent by any measure, but as long as we're on the subject...I'm just curious about your thoughts.  Not looking to judge, it's the 2000+ year old question.

54 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

If abortion as a form of birth control is wrong, then surely you agree the death penalty is wrong as well?  Correct?

Huge difference. Abortion takes an innocent life. Capital punishment takes the life of someone who has willfully murdered another person and sometimes in a very gruesome way. 

10 minutes ago, Nevada6077 said:

Was it okay for all the Vietnam vets including my bro to die

That's the question I asked.  You don't answer it by repeating it.

12 minutes ago, Nevada6077 said:

Are they the same

just curious

i believe it’s a ladies choice

Legally, it certainly is.  I never said otherwise.