Jump to content
DoubleBlueGold

OS Beaver Kicked Off Team for Racist Remarks

Recommended Posts

 

 

Quote

Oregon State has dismissed redshirt freshman tight end Rocco Carley after an audio recording from three years ago emerged of a racist, hate-filled and offensive rant in which Carley used derogatory language toward African-Americans, homosexuals and Muslims. Beavers coach Jonathan Smith announced Carley's dismissal Thursday morning in a statement.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oregon-state-dismisses-tight-end-after-racist-offensive-audio-rant-emerges-online/


 

Quote

 

“We both agreed this language and attitude is entirely unacceptable, regardless of circumstance or environment. I spoke with Rocco and dismissed him from the team. I will not tolerate racism or hate speech,” Smith wrote.

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2020/06/oregon-state-freshman-booted-from-football-team-after-racially-charged-audio-tape-appears-on-social-media.html

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what he said and don’t condone it, but 3 years ago he was 15 or 16 years old. Kicking him off the team seems excessive.

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RamSack said:

I have no idea what he said and don’t condone it, but 3 years ago he was 15 or 16 years old. Kicking him off the team seems excessive.

I agree. The kid should have been reprimanded and told to issue an apology if he wanted to stay.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Note to parents. If your kids are acting like asshats on their social media take it from them. Read EVERYTHING they post and have discussions with them constantly.  I’m going to go out on a limb... that kid said something so egregious the coaching staff just didn’t want to deal with it. That’s on the kid and his parents.

Hell, if you need an example of people making asses of themselves for your kids just have them read this board. There are more than a few people who post chit here who wouldn’t have a job if their employer knew what they were posting. True story. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RamSack said:

I have no idea what he said and don’t condone it, but 3 years ago he was 15 or 16 years old. Kicking him off the team seems excessive.

 

2 hours ago, robe said:

I agree. The kid should have been reprimanded and told to issue an apology if he wanted to stay.

Nah...it’s that bad. NSFW audio.

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Have this conversation w my students and players every year. Be very, very careful about what you put on social media; you never know what it might cost you. 
 

Had a former player that signed as a minor leagueFA out of college w the Diamondbacks organization. The first thing they asked him for was all his social media. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

 

Nah...it’s that bad. NSFW audio.

 

WOW!   Horrible and gut wrenching to hear.

 

I am almost always in line with you can't hold what a naive 15 or 16 year old kid does or says against him/her for the rest of their lives (I said this when the whole Josh Allen tweeting the 'n' word as a 15 year old came to light).  But I agree that you can't have him on your team at all if not for anything but his own safety.  There is no recovery from that disgusting dialogue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

 

Nah...it’s that bad. NSFW audio.

 

Thanks for posting..I hadn't heard it before. Hopefully , as he grows older and with more life experience he'll think differently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, as I said in another post, I don’t condone anything this kid said. 
 

If this kid is poor, then he just lost out in a “free” education and whatever benefits come from it for something he said when he was about 15 years old. His life is potentially ruined or severely hampered. There are other ways to punish him like keeping him on the team and having him address the entire team apologizing for the things he said and the embarrassment it brought to him, his family, teammates, university and for offending so many people. They could also make him take part in community outreach as a condition for staying on the team. Instead, the coaching staff took the easy way out and kicked him off the team for saying something when he was a kid. 

If this kid is rich, then it means nothing because he’ll just go to another school.

Sorry, but OSU wiffed on this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, RamSack said:

I have no idea what he said and don’t condone it, but 3 years ago he was 15 or 16 years old. Kicking him off the team seems excessive.

It's the world we live in now. Doesn't even have to be a massively hate-filled rant like this one. One wrong word at the wrong time, even years earlier, can ruin you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RamSack said:

Again, as I said in another post, I don’t condone anything this kid said. 
 

If this kid is poor, then he just lost out in a “free” education and whatever benefits come from it for something he said when he was about 15 years old. His life is potentially ruined or severely hampered. There are other ways to punish him like keeping him on the team and having him address the entire team apologizing for the things he said and the embarrassment it brought to him, his family, teammates, university and for offending so many people. They could also make him take part in community outreach as a condition for staying on the team. Instead, the coaching staff took the easy way out and kicked him off the team for saying something when he was a kid. 

If this kid is rich, then it means nothing because he’ll just go to another school.

Sorry, but OSU wiffed on this one.

I agree.  This would be a perfect time for the coaches/leadership at OSU to coach/mentor this kid up, he obviously needs guidance. I'd bet he regrets the hell outta what he said.  Give him a chance to 'man up'.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Thanks for posting..I hadn't heard it before. Hopefully , as he grows older and with more life experience he'll think differently. 

Or it just may go the other way. May end up seeing him, armed to the teeth, and marching with the proud boys, one day. If he's smart, he'll grow, not digress. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

Or it just may go the other way. May end up seeing him, armed to the teeth, and marching with the proud boys, one day. If he's smart, he'll grow, not digress. 

By kicking him off the team we increase the chances of the above happening.  Grace begets Grace. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 12:22 PM, BacksThePack said:

Guess he'll be on his way to where he'll fit in more in Boise.

Or BYU

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 10:08 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

 

Nah...it’s that bad. NSFW audio.

 

Sounds like a racist Boomhauer. 

King Of The Hill Boomhauer GIFs | Tenor

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how they managed to dig that recording up. My guess is you can take numerous guys black, brown, and white off any college team and they will have said some racial or gay shit growing up. Maybe not as bad as this guy, but still bad. 

Then we’ve had well known politicians do black face in their college days and nothing happens to them. What kind of justice is that? 

  • Cheers 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

I wonder how they managed to dig that recording up. My guess is you can take numerous guys black, brown, and white off any college team and they will have said some racial or gay shit growing up. Maybe not as bad as this guy, but still bad. 

Then we’ve had well known politicians do black face in their college days and nothing happens to them. What kind of justice is that? 

And this current generation of young kids is going to get hit most by this. The previous generation didn't really grow up with social media (they could still do similar stuff but there was no hard evidence of it happening) and the next generation with probably get it beaten into their heads don't post ANYTHING on your social media that is at all controversial.     

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thedude15 said:

And this current generation of young kids is going to get hit most by this. The previous generation didn't really grow up with social media (they could still do similar stuff but there was no hard evidence of it happening) and the next generation with probably get it beaten into their heads don't post ANYTHING on your social media that is at all controversial.     

I believe the children in school today won’t be saying these things.  Talking to my first grade daughter about these topics, I realize that she and her contemporaries are far more thoughtful and reflective than we were at their age.  Also remember that 57 percent of all school age children (K-12) in the US are of color.  That completely changes the dynamics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...