Jump to content
Warbow

Racism— Your experiences

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

 I didn’t go to Rancho, but I did go to Clark, which was pretty diverse, too. I was an athlete (football), which definitely helped me get along. So I never got jumped, or anything like that, though I do know of that happening. Clark back then was a really interesting mix with some really rich kids (like Benny Binion, who was a nightmare of a human being), and the poorer neighborhoods around the school, where I lived. It seemed like we had all kinds of racial tensions back then, including more than a few skinheads. There were always fights. My wife, who I went to high school with, got spit on by a black girl she didn’t know as they passed each other in the hall just because she was a pretty white girl. By far the worst example came after high school, when a girl I grew up with named Melissa Hack infamously helped her brother murder two anti-racism guys in cold blood. Really nasty stuff.

Like you, though, I am truly thankful I grew up where I did. I never appreciated the diverse perspectives I was surrounded by back then. It was just normal. But when I first went to college in Reno I remember thinking how different the local kids were.  The university and the city of Reno are more diverse now, and I really fell in love with the city later, but my first impression was almost disbelief at how sheltered many of them seemed (particularly some of the richer kids). I called it the Reno bubble, which probably wasn’t fair. Here in Bend, it’s almost laughable at how sheltered the kids, and many of their parents, are. The friends I have made here are great people, but most can’t talk about race in any other way than a caricature. That goes for both liberals and conservatives. They just have never experienced that very real tension for themselves, tried to live in an environment where race is not something you can ignore, seen firsthand how a black kid can be marginalized from a really early age, or watched a white kid get picked on just because he is white. I am thankful for that perspective, and it really helps now, I think.

I'm sure our similar experiences are a big reason in why we see eye to eye on so much. 

It's weird, I live near Rancho and Oakey now, so my kids are zoned for Clark, but my oldest, who is only 11, already wants to go to Rancho because it's a magnet that focuses on aviation stuff. My parents went to Rancho and so did my wife. Just can't get away from that place, lol. It's different now though. I think when you and I went to high school, there was a lot more black/white tension at Clark and Rancho and now Rancho is 90% Hispanic, and it seems to be a little less tense. Clark is half magnet. Both schools are actually quite highly regarded academically now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, retrofade said:

Wait. One time you, as a white guy, got ignored in a restaurant... as such, racism isn't nearly as big a deal as people think. 

I can't even begin to unpack the absolute delusional levels of stupidity in your post. 

No, as usual you don’t get a simple concept. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

No, as usual you don’t get a simple concept. 

As usual, your ignorance precludes you from exercising anything remotely resembling common sense.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, retrofade said:

As usual, your ignorance precludes you from exercising anything remotely resembling common sense.

You don’t even understand very simple concepts, and it’s really pretty funny. 🤪😝🤪👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

 I didn’t go to Rancho, but I did go to Clark, which was pretty diverse, too. I was an athlete (football), which definitely helped me get along. So I never got jumped, or anything like that, though I do know of that happening. Clark back then was a really interesting mix with some really rich kids (like Benny Binion, who was a nightmare of a human being), and the poorer neighborhoods around the school, where I lived. It seemed like we had all kinds of racial tensions back then, including more than a few skinheads. There were always fights. My wife, who I went to high school with, got spit on by a black girl she didn’t know as they passed each other in the hall just because she was a pretty white girl. By far the worst example came after high school, when a girl I grew up with named Melissa Hack infamously helped her brother murder two anti-racism guys in cold blood. Really nasty stuff.

Like you, though, I am truly thankful I grew up where I did. I never appreciated the diverse perspectives I was surrounded by back then. It was just normal. But when I first went to college in Reno I remember thinking how different the local kids were.  The university and the city of Reno are more diverse now, and I really fell in love with the city later, but my first impression was almost disbelief at how sheltered many of them seemed (particularly some of the richer kids). I called it the Reno bubble, which probably wasn’t fair. Here in Bend, it’s almost laughable at how sheltered the kids, and many of their parents, are. The friends I have made here are great people, but most can’t talk about race in any other way than a caricature. That goes for both liberals and conservatives. They just have never experienced that very real tension for themselves, tried to live in an environment where race is not something you can ignore, seen firsthand how a black kid can be marginalized from a really early age, or watched a white kid get picked on just because he is white. I am thankful for that perspective, and it really helps now, I think.

Reno definitely was a little bubble. I used to lifeguard at Traner pool which was Reno's version of the Hood. Definitely a different vibe there but was never uncomfortable in the neighborhood. I had an eye opener when I moved to Denver to do my Residency and thought I'd go to 5 Points to get a Colorado drivers license. It was the first time I was ever exposed to able bodied men just hanging around like the movies watching you as you drove through. Needless to say, I kept driving. FWIW, I'm a banana.

  • Cheers 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, toonkee said:

I'm sure our similar experiences are a big reason in why we see eye to eye on so much. 

It's weird, I live near Rancho and Oakey now, so my kids are zoned for Clark, but my oldest, who is only 11, already wants to go to Rancho because it's a magnet that focuses on aviation stuff. My parents went to Rancho and so did my wife. Just can't get away from that place, lol. It's different now though. I think when you and I went to high school, there was a lot more black/white tension at Clark and Rancho and now Rancho is 90% Hispanic, and it seems to be a little less tense. Clark is half magnet. Both schools are actually quite highly regarded academically now.

I think that has got to be true. (If only you had chosen a different college. ;))

Funny how things change. I've been long enough away from town now that I don't have a good feel for what school is what anymore, but Clark, Rancho, Western, and later Cheyenne, were always the schools where all kinds of nonsense was going on. I remember when they made Clark a magnet, well after I had graduated, and I remember thinking how strange that seemed. Back then we were a bit of a juggernaut athletically with some amazing athletes like Ron Merkerson, Phil Glover, Brian Dallimore, and Ron Riley. Not so much anymore, though I think they've had their moments in hoops. 

Vegas in a lot of ways was ideal growing up because it wasn't as segregated as older cities. Yes, North Las Vegas was definitely different than Spring Valley, but there was more integration than you'd see in the East or even in places like Los Angeles. Or at least, that is how I always felt. My best friend for most of childhood was black, and I'm still friends with him today (he's a N. Las Vegas cop). I never really thought about it, though, until an adult would mention something about it around me. As I got older it became clearer to me that this sort of thing doesn't happen everywhere. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Yeah that behavior is definitely limited to minorities.

:rolleyes:

 

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

You’re weird. 

Pure comedy. Oh the projection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

What does that even mean? 

"Yellow on the outside, white on the inside". The Hispanic version is coconut; "brown on the outside, white in the inside". I've also heard tortilla chip; "Mexican, but catered to/for white people".

 

Edit- I am late to the party. I see several posters beat me to it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

Weird I grew up in the Bay Area and never heard that one. Definitely heard the reverse (FOB) a lot from my friends who's parents/grands had been in the US for a long time. 

Fob is a staple of conversations in my wife’s family for all the people born in the U.S. I don’t think there is much malice behind it, they seem to use it as the quickest way to differentiate between Filipinos that are Americanized and ones that aren’t. But of course if a Filipino is “too Americanized” they talk shit about them for being whitewashed. It’s very confusing lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I lived in Biloxi, Mississippi in the mid-80s. My friend and I used to mow yards for money and one of the yards we mowed was for a city councilman. One day it was super hot and dry and there was a lot of dirt that got kicked up which stuck all over   us since we were so sweaty. When finished the councilman came outside and said, “You two boys look like a couple of “n*gg*rs.” I was dumbfounded that day and still am. It has never left me to think that a public figure was that open about his racism.

I am white, if it matters.

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

I grew up in a mixed school that was 1/3 white, 1/3 Hispanic and 1/3 Asian.   My best friend was 4th generation Asian and constantly called a banana by the more recent immigrants.   This period was the 70’s so the groups didn’t mix too much.   

Now I live in Placer County and hear it quite often.  It’s hard to judge when to say something and when to let it pass.   If you say shit constantly you won’t affect any change but if you never say something you won’t either.  It’s one of the things I constantly struggle with judging.   I think the mixed race kids are our best hope.  The best way to eliminate racism is to breed it out.  

Placer County. Now THERE'S a place. Definitely not singling you out when I say this but  . . .

For those who don't know, Placer lies immediately northeast of Sacto County. Although Sacto is very moderate politically, last I heard, Placer had the highest percentage of registered Republicans of California's 58 counties. Why that is, I can only guess. I would think that honor would go to some place like Modoc County which is something like 90% white and which is 100% rural. I have to wonder whether almost every state employee who works at or around the Capital plaza who is a registered Republican thinks Sacto is too far left (smh) in order for them to live there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

Weird I grew up in the Bay Area and never heard that one. Definitely heard the reverse (FOB) a lot from my friends who's parents/grands had been in the US for a long time. 

I've lived about a decade of my life in the Bay Area and traveled there on business dozens of times and never heard the term "banana" used in reference to an Asian person either. Hell, for several months I dated a very cute Chinese-American girl and never heard it said by or about her either. Gotta wonder whether it's not more of a Hawaiian thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Placer County. Now THERE'S a place. Definitely not singling you out when I say this but  . . .

For those who don't know, Placer lies immediately northeast of Sacto County. Although Sacto is very moderate politically, last I heard, Placer had the highest percentage of registered Republicans of California's 58 counties. Why that is, I can only guess. I would think that honor would go to some place like Modoc County which is something like 90% white and which is 100% rural. I have to wonder whether almost every state employee who works at or around the Capital plaza who is a registered Republican thinks Sacto is too far left (smh) in order for them to live there.

Yep and not moderate Republicans but Tom McClintock hard right wing republicans.  Such that any moderate independent is viewed as a Democrat.  Kind of like this board.  lol.   
 

I have a few friends I associate with that aren’t hard right and also don’t think corporations are the root of all evil.  But it’s hard to find anything but the extremes around here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I've lived about a decade of my life in the Bay Area and traveled there on business dozens of times and never heard the term "banana" used in reference to an Asian person either. Hell, for several months I dated a very cute Chinese-American girl and never heard it said by or about her either. Gotta wonder whether it's not more of a Hawaiian thing.

I grew up in Hacienda Heights.  You have to live where there are lots of established and newer Asians.  It is an inter Asian slur.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Yep and not moderate Republicans but Tom McClintock hard right wing republicans.  Such that any moderate independent is viewed as a Democrat.  Kind of like this board.  lol.   
 

I have a few friends I associate with that aren’t hard right and also don’t think corporations are the root of all evil.  But it’s hard to find anything but the extremes around here.  

My good friend who is now in Reno lived in Roseville for about 30 years. Great guy but he and I don't exactly have the same politics. When I worked for the state in the eighties and early nineties, I would need to go up to Sacto 3-4 times per year often for multiple days and my friend was nice enough to allow me to stay at his place so I could pocket the per diem I'd get on those trips. One thing I recall is how he subscribed to the Sacramento Union. Said the Bee was "too liberal." I have to lol at that. At least then the Bee was an excellent paper. Except for Herb Caen and the Sporting Green, the SF Chronicle was total dog crap compared to the Bee and the Union was as bad as the Chronicle but with an editorial policy straight out of Birmingham, Alabama.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I've lived about a decade of my life in the Bay Area and traveled there on business dozens of times and never heard the term "banana" used in reference to an Asian person either. Hell, for several months I dated a very cute Chinese-American girl and never heard it said by or about her either. Gotta wonder whether it's not more of a Hawaiian thing.

I’m from Hawaii and never heard the term. I heard all the others they call Asians though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was playing tennis at a park one night.  Some people were driving by in a van.  They stopped in the street and kept calling until I looked at them.  They shouted at me that I was a honkey.  I got nervous bc I thought they were gonna get out of their car and attack me or something.  They drove away thankfully.  I think they were black, but I didn’t see them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boise has a short season A baseball team.  When my girls were younger, we got into hosting a Boise Hawks player.  They stay with you, when they are not on the road,  Our neighbor was a cranky widow - get of my lawn type.  All the players that stayed with, which we did nine summers, were all black, except for one.  The first time we bring our player home, cranky bitch was outside and yelled "are you really going to let that "n" around your little girls".  My oldest daughter was 8 at the time, turned around and yelled back "he's not the n word and his name is Chris", while shooting bullets with her eyes to our neighbor.  Our four year old was trying to drag one of his bags in and yelled "yeah, his name is Chris".  She would always go out on her deck when he was playing with the girls in the pool and everyday, Chris would say "Good morning, how are you?"  After about two weeks, she came over and said you are really good with those girls and he said he had a sister my youngest's age.  They started talking.  Next day she showed up with a ton of home made cookies, for him to take & share with the team.  She even started going to the baseball games and knew every player's name. The next season, she hosted three players because she had three rooms and continued to do so, until her death a couple of years ago.  

  • Like 3
  • Cheers 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Boise has a short season A baseball team.  When my girls were younger, we got into hosting a Boise Hawks player.  They stay with you, when they are not on the road,  Our neighbor was a cranky widow - get of my lawn type.  All the players that stayed with, which we did nine summers, were all black, except for one.  The first time we bring our player home, cranky bitch was outside and yelled "are you really going to let that "n" around your little girls".  My oldest daughter was 8 at the time, turned around and yelled back "he's not the n word and his name is Chris", while shooting bullets with her eyes to our neighbor.  Our four year old was trying to drag one of his bags in and yelled "yeah, his name is Chris".  She would always go out on her deck when he was playing with the girls in the pool and everyday, Chris would say "Good morning, how are you?"  After about two weeks, she came over and said you are really good with those girls and he said he had a sister my youngest's age.  They started talking.  Next day she showed up with a ton of home made cookies, for him to take & share with the team.  She even started going to the baseball games and knew every player's name. The next season, she hosted three players because she had three rooms and continued to do so, until her death a couple of years ago.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broncomare said:

Boise has a short season A baseball team.  When my girls were younger, we got into hosting a Boise Hawks player.  They stay with you, when they are not on the road,  Our neighbor was a cranky widow - get of my lawn type.  All the players that stayed with, which we did nine summers, were all black, except for one.  The first time we bring our player home, cranky bitch was outside and yelled "are you really going to let that "n" around your little girls".  My oldest daughter was 8 at the time, turned around and yelled back "he's not the n word and his name is Chris", while shooting bullets with her eyes to our neighbor.  Our four year old was trying to drag one of his bags in and yelled "yeah, his name is Chris".  She would always go out on her deck when he was playing with the girls in the pool and everyday, Chris would say "Good morning, how are you?"  After about two weeks, she came over and said you are really good with those girls and he said he had a sister my youngest's age.  They started talking.  Next day she showed up with a ton of home made cookies, for him to take & share with the team.  She even started going to the baseball games and knew every player's name. The next season, she hosted three players because she had three rooms and continued to do so, until her death a couple of years ago.  

I should also mention, she usually took in players from Latin America because, surprise, surprise, she spoke Spanish.  Seeing her transformation was touching.  She really got involved with the Hawks all together and she loved it!!  She did apologize to Chris and she made sure she did it in front of my daughters.  

  • Cheers 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...