Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Racism— Your experiences

8 hours ago, Broncomare said:

Boise has a short season A baseball team.  When my girls were younger, we got into hosting a Boise Hawks player.  They stay with you, when they are not on the road,  Our neighbor was a cranky widow - get of my lawn type.  All the players that stayed with, which we did nine summers, were all black, except for one.  The first time we bring our player home, cranky bitch was outside and yelled "are you really going to let that "n" around your little girls".  My oldest daughter was 8 at the time, turned around and yelled back "he's not the n word and his name is Chris", while shooting bullets with her eyes to our neighbor.  Our four year old was trying to drag one of his bags in and yelled "yeah, his name is Chris".  She would always go out on her deck when he was playing with the girls in the pool and everyday, Chris would say "Good morning, how are you?"  After about two weeks, she came over and said you are really good with those girls and he said he had a sister my youngest's age.  They started talking.  Next day she showed up with a ton of home made cookies, for him to take & share with the team.  She even started going to the baseball games and knew every player's name. The next season, she hosted three players because she had three rooms and continued to do so, until her death a couple of years ago.  

Great story how taking the high road inspires people to be better.  Hopefully Chris tells that story to his kids.  

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

Ok a couple of more stories. My wife’s relatives on her moms side live in rural Virginia. We went to visit them via DC on vacation many years ago. We walked into her aunts house and right there in the living room was a huge portrait of Robert E. Lee. I thought wow, that’s interesting.

Then we visited another uncle and aunt. We had a great dinner. The food was great and they were super friendly. After dinner her uncle asks me if I would like to take a walk around the neighborhood. I say sure. So we’re walking along making small talk and as we approach an elder black man he says Id like to show you a good n-gg-r. I couldn’t believe my ears. Then they start talking to each other like long lost brothers and I’m thinking to myself what the hell is going on here. 

However, I did notice that most of her cousins and younger people didn’t seem to have the same overt prejudices. 

I’m not sure those of us not from the South can understand the relationship between blacks and whites there.  I recommend reading “The Help” for an interesting insight into how complex and hypocritical it all is. 

Another couple Biloxi, Mississippi stories from the mid 80s. 
1) My brother’s best friend’s dad was in the KKK and proved it by showing my brother his outfit.

2) My best friend said that his parents had a rule that blacks weren’t allowed in his house. One of our other mutual best friends was black and he came over after school one day and barged in against my white friend’s frantic attempts to not let him in. It was hilarious. The parents were at work. At least in this story, I could see how bigotry was breaking down from my friend’s grandparents to his parents to him and finally to his kids who he vowed would never have a racist bone in their body.

3) I went back to visit friends in Biloxi in 88, I think. I remember that there were a lot more fights at parties and every single one of them was between a black guy and a white guy.

4) In Colorado Springs in the late 80s I had a black HS teacher who told the class a story about when you start talking with white people about racism, the first thing they do is to start telling you about them having a black friend. I’ve keyed in on that every time it came up over the years and he was spot on.

My blonde hair, blue eyed daughter that decided to serve her country as a Marine, received crap for not only being a female but from the black guys she served with for being the "Nazi's perfect breed" - yes she was called that a lot. When she was stationed at Okinawa, she had to deal with the locals coming up and touching her hair, grabbing and some people pulling it out.  Then she had to deal with the black guys in her unit... what is ironic, that when no one else was around, almost everyone of them asked her out.  Not to say all the guys were like that because she made life long friends with some of the black guys.  Some of the others came around when they heard that we hosted baseball players and all but one were black, so she grew up with eight black guys in her life.  Especially, when some found out that Dontrelle Willis stayed with us.  But when the guys that were nasty to her and then asked her out, she said no, all you have been doing since I got here was insulting me and calling me white racial slurs and these guys couldn't believe that she wouldn't go out with them.  Even if you are a "minority" you can still be racist. 

down in a hole.jpg