Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

818SUDSFan

SDSU expansion FINALLY approved

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/mission-valley-stadium-site-sale/509-f946fb83-6b0e-4442-81ca-dc7b67b7b872

Thankfully the UT confirmed that. In the byzantine world of California government politics, I still wasn't sure.

The future is looking bright for San Diego State. :)

But don't be misled. SDSU is NOT planning on building a 55K seat stadium.

31 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

https://www.cbs8.com/article/news/local/mission-valley-stadium-site-sale/509-f946fb83-6b0e-4442-81ca-dc7b67b7b872

Thankfully the UT confirmed that. In the byzantine world of California government politics, I wasn't still wasn't sure.

The future is looking bright for San Diego State. :)

But don't be misled. SDSU is NOT planning on building a 55K seat stadium.

Heard that it will actually be 40k with 5k removable to flex the seating based on opponent.

Good day for San Diego State!!! A "red-letter" day for the university for sure!!

San_Diego_State_Logotype.png 

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

Don Coryell, head coach 1961-1972

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999

4 hours ago, AztecSU said:

Heard that it will actually be 40k with 5k removable to flex the seating based on opponent.

So the same size as the soccer stadium?  Wasn’t that the big issue before?

17 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

The planned soccer stadium was smaller.  24 to 34k.  And any MLS team would want control of ancillary revenues.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

6 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Not even remotely close. It’s not about a stadium only.  It’s a massive campus expansion that will primarily be focused on research and tech transfer and include a stadium as a first project.  The soccer city clowns would have made the entire property a giant commercial development with no SDSU expansion. It’s the biggest event to happen to SDSU in the past century.

11 hours ago, Fowl said:

Not even remotely close. It’s not about a stadium only.  It’s a massive campus expansion that will primarily be focused on research and tech transfer and include a stadium as a first project.  The soccer city clowns would have made the entire property a giant commercial development with no SDSU expansion. It’s the biggest event to happen to SDSU in the past century.

Very pleased to get a new 40K stadium for SDSU. It will help the university more than most believe. Also happy about the research buildings which will be built but I truly believe SD deserves a MLS team. Soccer is the one growth sport in the nation which looks like it will continue to grow.and a MLS team would be a great asset to the city and area.  Looks like it will be delayed for several years now. Soccer fans deserve a team.

1 hour ago, 1066 said:

Very pleased to get a new 40K stadium for SDSU. It will help the university more than most believe. Also happy about the research buildings which will be built but I truly believe SD deserves a MLS team. Soccer is the one growth sport in the nation which looks like it will continue to grow.and a MLS team would be a great asset to the city and area.  Looks like it will be delayed for several years now. Soccer fans deserve a team.

SDSU, USD, UCSD, and the new 1904 club all have good soccer programs.  Sparsely attended games all around.  I won't object to MLS, but SD doesn't support what SD has now.

On 5/30/2020 at 2:16 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

SDSU, USD, UCSD, and the new 1904 club all have good soccer programs.  Sparsely attended games all around.  I won't object to MLS, but SD doesn't support what SD has now.

1904 is way down the soccer food chain.  Landon Donovan's new 2nd division club playing at Torero had a good start before the plug got pulled.  And they've expressed interest in playing at the new Aztec digs in the future.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 5/30/2020 at 12:16 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

The recent agreement between MLS and Liga MX probably makes it less likely that a MLS team is in San Diego because of the proximity to Club Tijuana.  

I don't know whether English language tv or audio broadcasts are made for CT games but since Liga MX is a better game than MLS in terms of competitive play I would guess english speaking San Diegans would be fans if they enjoy competitive soccer.