Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndroidAggie

f*** b****, get money

i seriously don't know

i thought at first it was an anthem of action.  "this is what i do, i have sex with meany beautiful women and i obtain large amounts of capital through my hard work and ingenuity"

now i can't tell if it's a forbearance of the former to embrace the latter.

It means sex with women is not a prelude to a relationship; entering into such a contract will disrupt your ability to procure funds. So when you’re done f***in’ ‘em, f*** ‘em.

3 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

i seriously don't know

i thought at first it was an anthem of action.  "this is what i do, i have sex with meany beautiful women and i obtain large amounts of capital through my hard work and ingenuity"

now i can't tell if it's a forbearance of the former to embrace the latter.

I've always interpreted as an anthem of action, with the subtext being that "fcking btches" obviously meant to avoid romantic entanglements whilst copulating. Now the relation of that subtext to "getting money" is ultimately up to interpretation: while it can be assumed that the avoidance of romantic entanglements could lead to a more successful pursuit of capital, it is impossible to make a strong inference here unless more context is provided.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

12 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

I've always interpreted as an anthem of action, with the subtext being that "fcking btches" obviously meant to avoid romantic entanglements whilst copulating. Now the relation of that subtext to "getting money" is ultimately up to interpretation: while it can be assumed that the avoidance of romantic entanglements could lead to a more successful pursuit of capital, it is impossible to make a strong inference here unless more context is provided.

i'm unaware of original sources.  i only have specious exegetics to go on.

5 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

I always interpreted as an anthem of action, with the subtext being that "fcking btches" obviously meant to avoid romantic entanglements whilst copulating. Now the relation of the subtext to "getting money" is ultimately up to interpretation: while it can be assumed that the avoidance of romantic entanglements could lead to a more successful pursuit of capital, it is impossible to make a strong inference here unless more context is provided.

It’s all in the punctuation. As it’s written here, with a comma, the relationship is unclear. Is it a list? If so, does the order matter? Could one get money first and +++++ bitches later? Impossible to say. If they were separated with a period, “+++++ bitches. Get money.” Then it would be obvious that these are separate interests that could be pursued independently of one another. However, a semicolon, “+++++ bitches; get money” would indicate that these pursuits are inextricably linked. If one does not +++++ bitches, both in the sense of seeking sexual gratification as well as eschewing romantic relationships, one will never obtain money, at least not in any meaningful amount.

I prefer the semicolon, but as with all great philosophies, there is substantial room for interpretation.

43 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i'm unaware of original sources.  i only have specious exegetics to go on.

Upon review of the original source, the Notorious BIG song, "Get Money," it does appear that eschewing romantic relationships is inexorably tied to acquiring currency in the mind of the author.

In the song, Wallace writes of a failed intimate relationship with a woman. Among his grievances against her (which include a false accusation of rape, and unfaithfulness), he states to her,

"Shit got hot, you sent Feds to my spot
Took me to court, tried to take all I got." 

Here is obviously linking intimate relationships with both a loss of freedom and capital. He goes on to write, 

"Damn, why she want to stick me for my paper?" 

Here, he illustrates that the existence of an intimate romantic relationship led to an attempt to deprive him of currency. Finally, he laments his loss of money, stating 

"Woe, oh is me, that's what I get for trickin'." 

"Trickin'" is a colloquial term for spending money on women, both in exchange for sexual favors and as a part of maintaining an intimate relationship. Here, Wallace argues that intimate relationships lead to a loss of capital both during the entanglement, and after.

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

1 minute ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Upon review of the original source, the Notorious BIG song, "Get Money," it does appear that eschewing romantic relationships is inexorably tied to acquiring currency in the mind of the author.

In the song, Wallace writes of a failed intimate relationship with a woman. Among his grievances against her (which include a false accusation of rape, and unfaithfulness), he states to her,

Here is obviously linking intimate relationships with both a loss of freedom and capital. He goes on to write, 

Here, he illustrates that the existence of an intimate romantic relationship led to an attempt to deprive him of currency. Finally, he laments his loss of money, stating 

"Trickin'" is a colloquial term for spending money on women, both in exchange for sexual favors and as a part of maintaining an intimate relationship. Here, Wallace argues that intimate relationships lead to a loss of capital both during the entanglement, and after.

derrida would be proud

so you think 'trickin' was used as a sarcastic term, encapsulating the harm done to him by using such a term and the connotations of gender role reversal in a single word?

1 hour ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

"Child support, alimony, she eats steak, I eat balony"