Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

youngredbullfan

MLK Quote on Riots

51 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

That dude is a St Paul PD officer. He’s been outed by his fiancée.

The police station was a legitimate target. The symbolism and message burning that bitch down sent are justified.

8 minutes ago, sean327 said:

The police station was a legitimate target. The symbolism and message burning that bitch down sent are justified.

Wonder if it was actually done by white guys wearing gas masks  :shrug:

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

This is the oddest thing ever.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/officer-jacob-pederson-protests/

Who on earth is this guy?

Yeah its super sketchy. I posted about it on the main thread. The police department denies its their guy but offer no explanation. I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

12 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I will send in the National Guard and get this done right... When the looting starts, the shooting starts.

President Donald Trump on Twitter. 

The looting phrase dates back to the Civil Rights era. It was used by Miami police Chief Walter Headley in 1967 and angered the Black community.

There are also anecdotes that both George Wallace and "Bull" Connor used the phrase also.

I don't why Trump chose to use the phrase, if he thought he was the first to say it and did not know the history or if it was an intentional choice of a quote.

But he evoked a difficult time in this country by using it.

Guest #1Stunner
26 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah its super sketchy. I posted about it on the main thread.

The police department denies its their guy but offer no explanation.

I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt at this point.

I kind of disagree with your last statement.

Simply because in the rush to point the finger at someone, the rioting mob could accidentally misidentify someone, and that person (if they have been misidentified) could have their life and family's life be placed in jeopardy.  

People need to let things play out, and not make assumptions on who this is---I am not saying you are doing this.

But thinking about the Atlanta Olympics guy (but with a mob doling out justice), this can get bad...

Guest #1Stunner

There is justification for protests and civil disobedience.   (look at Hong Kong, most recently).

There isn't justification for destroying innocent people's property, or causing them harm.   It seems like some of the people are being opportunistic to steal and vandalize.  

Guest #1Stunner
58 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Anyone who gets caught doing that will be charged with a felony.   Arson.

Those people risk going to prison for a long, long time.   Most look like young people.  Who wants to go to prison for 20 years, for acting foolish in your 20s?.   It is very foolish, it is not a good idea, nor is it justified.   

There are better ways to protest and be heard than committing felonies, and risking long prison sentences. 

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Anyone who gets caught doing that will be charged with a felony.   Arson.

Those people risk going to prison for a long, long time.   Most look like young people.  Who wants to go to prison for 20 years, for acting foolish in your 20s?.   It is very foolish, it is not a good idea, nor is it justified.   

There are better ways to protest and be heard.   

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I understand everything you’re saying, still doesn’t change the fact that the Cop Shop was a legitimate target. Don’t want your station burned to the ground? Stop killing unarmed people. It’s that simple.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. I understand everything you’re saying, still doesn’t change the fact that the Cop Shop was a legitimate target. Don’t want your station burned to the ground? Stop killing unarmed people. It’s that simple.

I don't disagree with you that the cops were outrageous, and should be charged with murder.

But committing felonies in response???.... some of these people might end up being cell-mates with the cops who did this.   Imagine that....

I don't think the court is going to ignore felonies, because they felt sympathetic that some people were mad.  Arson, Robbery, Burglary.  Larceny.   Those are all felony crimes, I believe.  These young people, caught up in the moment, are risking 20 year prison sentences. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

I don't disagree with you that the cops were outrageous, and should be charged with murder.

But committing felonies in response???.... some of these people might end up being cell-mates with the cops who did this.   Imagine that....

I don't think the court is going to ignore felonies, because they felt sympathetic that some people were mad.  Arson, Robbery, Burglary.   Those are all felony crimes, I belive.  These young people, caught up in the moment, are risking 20 year prison sentences. 

Do you disagree that the police station was a legitimate target?

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, sean327 said:

Do you disagree that the police station was a legitimate target?

I agree it was a legitimate target for protest, and should be the center of the protest.   And it can be very demonstrative and disruptive.   I think Hong Kong protesters tried to shut their city down to make a point.

But for Minneapolis, I would discourage anyone from vandalizing it, or setting fire to it, or causing harm to police officers.   Because the risk if you get caught, is you will be charged with a very high level felony.  Arson, Burglary, Robbery, Larceny, are not low level crimes.    I supposed if you get convicted and get a 20 year jail sentence, the Governor or President could pardon you, but that is really gambling. 

Quoting MLK is not a defense to committing a felony. 

5 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

It's legit. It's from a man who, frustratingly, spent the better part of his life swimming upstream against the virulent, codified and wide-spread racism of the day.  In its time and in context, these thoughts are easily understood.  But this is NOT those times.  This is 2020, not 1967 and though we still have problems, they are not the same problems. If burning shit down was the answer the problems would already have been addressed

Right. I get that... 

I just wanted to know which speech, book, or whatever 

It is rather hard to take the police department on their word that the white guy is not their officer, considering they blatantly lied about the circumstances around George Floyd. If not for cell phone video, it would have been another cover up.

8 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree it was a legitimate target for protest, and should be the center of the protest.   And it can be very demonstrative and disruptive.   I think Hong Kong protesters tried to shut their city down to make a point.

But for Minneapolis, I would discourage anyone from vandalizing it, or setting fire to it, or causing harm to police officers.   Because the risk if you get caught, is you will be charged with a very high level felony.  Arson, Burglary, Robbery, Larceny, are not low level crimes.    I supposed if you get convicted and get a 20 year jail sentence, the Governor or President could pardon you, but that is really gambling. 

Quoting MLK is not a defense to committing a felony. 

This.