Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

It's the same

He really needs an editor or maybe just a smarter teenager to proofread for him. This paragraph is super awkward. 

I know Wolf Pack fans scrunch their nose when they see the name "David Carter" given the success on either side of his tenure, and I'm not saying Alford's time with the Wolf Pack will be similar to Carter's in the final evaluation. This isn't supposed to be a predictive column. But the first 13 months of both tenures have been identical, with both having to rebuild a roster on the fly. Carter squeezed one excellent season out (the 2011-12 campaign) before ultimately failing following the move to the Mountain West. The long-term prospects under Alford certainly look much rosier given his history. But the 2020-21 season looks like it could be a rough one unless Alford can work some magic.

Figures...

He graduated from Douglas High School in 2000 before earning his bachelor’s (2004) and master’s degrees (2007) in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I hope not 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Hiring Steve Assford was a huge mistake.  They should’ve went with an up and comer.  Matt McMahon would’ve taken the job in a heartbeat.

I’m so excited that we’re going to be the dominate program in the MWC during Alford’s tenure!

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

I wish Nevada would have hired a coach from a random conference who has zero success as a player or a coach. Makes much more sense!

Signed,

Dumb Vegas Fan

dude you are clueless, UNLV is gonna run shit in this conference next season.

lol its almost cute how Reno fans defend Alford. As one fan of a school that only had one amazing coach and then 30 years of soul-crushing mediocrity....let me be the first one to tell you guys are in the same exact boat after Muss left. Welcome to the Party, it sucks here. Except you didn't get 25 years as the #1 basketball power in the west coast and a National Championship and all the world records the teams set in scoring......Instead of that , all you got was a Sweet-16 and a 1st Round blunder LOL. God, I love how UNR is the older brother school, but they always seem to follow in UNLV's footsteps....except it's a really shitty scuffed version. Just like the city itself. Classic Reno. 

Anyway, I hate to break it to you, but Alford isn't half as good of a coach as Muss was and he can't recruit for shit! 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

19 hours ago, toonkee said:

He really needs an editor or maybe just a smarter teenager to proofread for him. This paragraph is super awkward. 

I know Wolf Pack fans scrunch their nose when they see the name "David Carter" given the success on either side of his tenure, and I'm not saying Alford's time with the Wolf Pack will be similar to Carter's in the final evaluation. This isn't supposed to be a predictive column. But the first 13 months of both tenures have been identical, with both having to rebuild a roster on the fly. Carter squeezed one excellent season out (the 2011-12 campaign) before ultimately failing following the move to the Mountain West. The long-term prospects under Alford certainly look much rosier given his history. But the 2020-21 season looks like it could be a rough one unless Alford can work some magic.

Figures...

He graduated from Douglas High School in 2000 before earning his bachelor’s (2004) and master’s degrees (2007) in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.

I really like the job that Murray does covering Nevada athletics but you're absolutely right regarding an editor. I'm sure NSN is a lean operation but would it be too much trouble for the half dozen or so reporters to proof read each others articles before they hit "submit" on their keyboard?

20 hours ago, toonkee said:

Figures...

I agree he always has a ton of typos. But the amount of content he writes is amazing, and IMO he's easily the best MW writer.

10 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

lol its almost cute how Reno fans defend Alford. As one fan of a school that only had one amazing coach and then 30 years of soul-crushing mediocrity....let me be the first one to tell you guys are in the same exact boat after Muss left. Welcome to the Party, it sucks here. Except you didn't get 25 years as the #1 basketball power in the west coast and a National Championship and all the world records the teams set in scoring......Instead of that , all you got was a Sweet-16 and a 1st Round blunder LOL. God, I love how UNR is the older brother school, but they always seem to follow in UNLV's footsteps....except it's a really shitty scuffed version. Just like the city itself. Classic Reno. 

Anyway, I hate to break it to you, but Alford isn't half as good of a coach as Muss was and he can't recruit for shit! 

Lolzzz we’ve never heard this before.  

11 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

This def should be merged with one of the 200-page threads outlining why every coach post-Tark has failed in Vegas!? It has been established that all Vegas fans are experts at rating talent and coaches, because Vegas was once good at basketball...  

1 hour ago, brillio said:

Lolzzz we’ve never heard this before.  

There are dozens of threads documenting the basketball knowledge and wisdom bestowed on this board by the merry band of Vegas fans. Rebel18 and ph leading the lecture and discussion!

Signed,

Said No One Ever 

12 hours ago, Rebels18 said:

Looks like you are trying to convince yourself with this post?  8 billion people on the planet don't give a rat's ass who wins a title in a mid major conference.

17 hours ago, mugtang said:

I’m so excited that we’re going to be the dominate program in the MWC during Alford’s tenure!

I was one of the few people saying that UNLV was beat San Diego State at Viejas last year.

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

This def should be merged with one of the 200-page threads outlining why every coach post-Tark has failed in Vegas!? It has been established that all Vegas fans are experts at rating talent and coaches, because Vegas was once good at basketball...  

Exactly! Finally we're on the same page. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif