Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecSU

New Mexico State FB's New Logo

Guest #1Stunner
18 minutes ago, AztecSU said:

Wow.  That's bad.

*EDIT  - just saw it is a "secondary logo" and a throwback to the 70s.   So now I don't mind it. 

So everybody is clear, the idea to brand your sports program with non-verbal visual images, without the school's name...

Like this:

UNM-Lobos-10_694f6b12-5056-a36a-091f1677

Here, we have the team's name in a feminine looking font without a non-verbal image - so it fails twice..

The reason, this logo is proper, is because at least then, unlike now, people aren't confusing you for NMSU - that's not good, you guys......

New-Signature.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
6 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

So everybody is clear, the idea to brand your sports program with non-verbal visual images, without the school's name...

Like this:

Here, we have the team's name in a feminine looking font without a non-verbal image - so it fails twice..

The reason, this logo is proper, is because at least then, unlike now, people aren't confusing you for NMSU - that's not good, you guys......

Why is it so hard to make a decent look "wolves" logo.

This one looks terrible.

Does that even look like a wolf?

eP7JV0a9QCasOmkR15xGFwqSA6PrlG9njfe8kiZv

Still better than my L.A. Rams primary logo.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

This one looks terrible.

I think it's hard to convey the wolf without looking like a dog (or swamp rat in UNR's case).

I would go with a more Wyoming (best logo ever) style silhouette. Something like this - maybe with Sean's New Mexico symbol to be more recognizable. 

HUGE HOWLING WOLF silhouette Printable wall art image 0

Either that or just go all-in on the Cartoon like NC State.

The Big Bad Wolf Production Cel (Walt Disney, 1934).... Animation ...

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I think it's hard to convey the wolf without looking like a dog (or swamp rat in UNR's case).

I would go with a more Wyoming (best logo ever) style silhouette. Something like this - maybe with Sean's New Mexico symbol to be more recognizable. 

HUGE HOWLING WOLF silhouette Printable wall art image 0

Either that or just go all-in on the Cartoon like NC State.

The Big Bad Wolf Production Cel (Walt Disney, 1934).... Animation ...

Good point.

New Mexico and Nevada look like they have werewolf mascots or something.  Really poorly executed.

I agree, it would be more fun to go cartoonish, or at least a wolf that isn't so angry.  

56 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

Obvious actual winner.

I like it!

The uniforms should also be black, red, white, beige and green! But there would still be the problem that in really old cartoons, that wolf was known to whistle at hot broads. So how 'bout this?

Although that's too many colors to emulate Stanford and change UNM's nickname to something dumb like the Cardinal, they could call themselves the University of New Mexico Diversities! Better yet, the UNM Politically Correct! Put that cool state logo on one side of the helmet and a "PC" on the other and they would rock!

Screw it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just change the school colors to coincide with the state flag and use the state logo and you're A+.

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

This one looks terrible.

For branding you want a logo that's unique so that it can't be confused with any other.& memorable so that folks remember it.  I think it hits on both of those points.  It'd be nice if folks liked it but after Ault fiddled around with really, really bad logos we were just happy they finally settled on one.  Do you think it looks more like a coyote or a dog or a bear?  What else could it be if it's not a wolf? 

The other great idea RE really the great trademarks, is to change them as much as possible over short periods of time - it’s the best way for people to easily identify and remember them..

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/apr/02/la-rams-redeesign-logo-criticism-fans-eric-dickerson

New-Signature.jpg