Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the P5 reaching a tipping point for a break away

24 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

SEC - Florida Georgia Tennessee Alabama Auburn LSU A&M ..........Out Kentucky Missouri South Carolina Vanderbilt Arkansas Mississippi Miss St 

Big10 - Michigan Mich St Ohio St Penn St Nebraska Wisconsin Iowa ..........Out Indiana Maryland Rutgers Illinois Minnesota Northwestern Purdue 

Pac12 - USC Oregon Washington Colorado UCLA  Arizona Arizona St  ................Out Stanford Cal Utah Oregon St Washington St  

ACC - Clemson Florida St Notre Dame Miami UNC Virginia Tech ..............Out Boston College Louisville NC State Syracuse Wake Forest Duke Georgia Tech Pittsburgh Virginia 

Big 12 - Texas Oklahoma Texas Tech Oklahoma St ................ Out Baylor Iowa St Kansas Kansas St TCU West Virginia 

7 from the SEC........7 from the B10..........7 from the PAC12 .............6 from the ACC..................4 from the B12 ...............thats 31............ could argue to remove some that I listed such as ASU & UA from PAC12, UNC & VA Tech from ACC, & TT & OSU from B12..........removing those schools would leave 25 so maybe on other gets cut like Colorado or Iowa ..........then you're down to 24 pretty much blue blood programs ........those 24 form their own governing body and make their own TV deals 

Then you'd have the green leftovers having to either align themselves or add in a mix of the best potential of the AAC & MWC.............from there the leftovers of the MWC & AAC would have to scramble to align with CUSA & Sun Belt as the lowest level 

This could end up being a three tiered college set up one where the top level completely ignores the lower levels .........the two relagined lower levels could inter-play and still remain under some revised NCAA governance 

I love these realignment threads.  Jocularity...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Hi.  I dug up this article this morning from 2017 re 2023 (after I did a quick read on P5 major football contracts expiration upcoming following inspiration from an XII revenue distribution article).  Anywho..by 2023 it won't be about the conventional major distribution channels anymore. With so many cord cutters, it will be on My Own Device platform.  Something on the wall with a huge black line going into a wall (NO).  Something in my hand on a small screen/something on my table sans wireless. 

Different platforms will intrude much in 2023.  Thankfully.  B1G was the first to introduce major change with proprietary B1G network.  By 2023 it will be all about that and more.  Private 3rd tier rights on other platforms may have a very strong say in things. 

2017 ESPN Article

XII Revenue Distribution Today

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

There's no chance that if

59 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I wanna see:

USC & UCLA to the B1G -16 teams in the B1G.

West Virginia & NC State to the SEC - 16 teams in the SEC.

Cincinnati to the ACC + 14 teams to the ACC plus Notre Dame schedule agreement.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Stanford, CAL to the 9 team Big 12- 14 team Big 12.

Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Utah, BYU, Colorado State, SDSU, Boise State, Wyoming, Utah State, UNLV will be the new PAC-12.

Id like to see Army and Navy in the ACC and Air Force and Hawaii in the PAC- 14 but it wouldn't happen. Obviously this is based off of being a Boise State fan and this gets is on the big boy club. I do think the PAC-12 is losing members. If the Big 12 Adds Oregon and Washington as well that would kill Boise States chances. But do Big 12 teams really wanna go to Eugene and Seattle to play football in the rain and cold? How good is recruiting in the Pacific Northwest? Would Washington and Oregon leave their rivals? I don't think so. Not if they can stay in the club.

Fail.

The first scenario would be geographically impossible. The second would be culturally impossible.

Another article predicting the death of CUSA. I tend to agree. From the bbs board.

https://mississippitoday.org/2020/05/29/it-past-time-for-radical-change-in-conference-usa/

It’s past time for radical change in Conference USA
BY RICK CLEVELAND, SPORTS COLUMNIST  | MAY 29, 2020

A common sense article on CUSA from the bbs realignment board.
By Rick Cleveland (I have never heard of him but he makes sense in this article.)

The first thing I’d do as commissioner of Conference USA? I’d blow it up.

It doesn’t work.

It didn’t work long before the pandemic. It certainly won’t work now.

Most of all, the economics don’t work. There’s too much travel, not nearly enough revenue.

In many ways, the league was designed – and has been altered over the years – with TV markets in mind. That’s why FIU and FAU were accepted as members in 2013, to regain the Florida TV market lost when first South Florida and UCF exited. That’s why UTSA was accepted in 2013. San Antonio is a big city with lots of TVs.

Most of us know the truth of this article but I don't see an answer. It is a pathetic conference with no or very few good teams. I see no schools which the MWC or the AAC would be willing to take. Even if they were combined with the Sun Belt few really interesting matches would occur. Likely NO matches which would draw big TV numbers.

The first one up is B1G in 2023.  They're kinda bloated following Rutgers and Maryland last time...still digesting that 'market share' mess.  IF B1G expands a bit it's only AAU Texas and Kansas. You gotta be super exclusive AAU to be in B1G, despite the Nebraska debacle (had it upon entry; lost it soon afterward).  Oklahoma is not AAU. 

ACC is locked to the middle 2030s.  As is most of SEC, which rules the roost with B1G.  XII can make it well beyond 2025 without doing anything unless one or two of them bolts.

Whither PAC. We'll see about that in a few years.

PAC and XII will make new dominoes at best depending on B1G 2023. 

3 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I wanna see:

USC & UCLA to the B1G -16 teams in the B1G.

West Virginia & NC State to the SEC - 16 teams in the SEC.

Cincinnati to the ACC + 14 teams to the ACC plus Notre Dame schedule agreement.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Stanford, CAL to the 9 team Big 12- 14 team Big 12.

Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Utah, BYU, Colorado State, SDSU, Boise State, Wyoming, Utah State, UNLV will be the new PAC-12.

Id like to see Army and Navy in the ACC and Air Force and Hawaii in the PAC- 14 but it wouldn't happen. Obviously this is based off of being a Boise State fan and this gets is on the big boy club. I do think the PAC-12 is losing members. If the Big 12 Adds Oregon and Washington as well that would kill Boise States chances. But do Big 12 teams really wanna go to Eugene and Seattle to play football in the rain and cold? How good is recruiting in the Pacific Northwest? Would Washington and Oregon leave their rivals? I don't think so. Not if they can stay in the club.

Fresno State would get in before Wyoming or Utah State.  Better and bigger facilities(football needs upgrading), better overall sports programs and larger TV market.  Nothing at all against those two schools but just my take.

"Frankly my dear..I don't give a damn"!

Folks can dream about 2023 for now. IF low hanging fruit PAC expands, it's San Diego State and Boise.  PAC will remain western only despite good gets Air Force and UH of Texas. 

XII is the core domino theory.  Sitting at 10 tight squads, competing with SEC and B1G for gorilla status..I can see Cincy in there as a bridge to West Virginia. Memphis too.  An outreach to UCF and Navy. 

In the end I'm holding the line on what I really want.  Power 5.5.

The confluence of AAC and MWC with separation anxiety and annexing BYU.  The Best of the Rest Conference, We Dot Fives co-joined with tough choices to endure..and minimum $20M/unit payout base revenue with content distribution partners. 

In the spirit of throwing out random fan-based realignment scenarios, I'd love to see a PAC-16 that adds UNR, UNLV, BYU, and CSU. It takes the conference back to the in-state rival structure and locks up the growing inter-mountain West states. 

19 hours ago, Coog kev said:

Folks can dream about 2023 for now. IF low hanging fruit PAC expands, it's San Diego State and Boise.  PAC will remain western only despite good gets Air Force and UH of Texas. 

XII is the core domino theory.  Sitting at 10 tight squads, competing with SEC and B1G for gorilla status..I can see Cincy in there as a bridge to West Virginia. Memphis too.  An outreach to UCF and Navy. 

The confluence of AAC and MWC with separation anxiety and annexing BYU.  The Best of the Rest Conference, We Dot Fives co-joined with tough choices to endure..and minimum $20M/unit payout base revenue with content distribution partners. 

The only way Boise State EVER gets into the Pac is if the conference is willing to change its academic status for members.  It's great to talk theoretically about conferences as it relates to sports, but that's really not the primary reason for their formation.

18 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Hey Huckleberry, if the PAC-12 lost four to six members you can bet your ass they are gonna take their top four to six choices and that choice is gonna be about money, especially football money. So BYU, SDSU, Boise State, and I'm guessing Air Force or Colorado State will be getting a call. They will do everything they can not to get dropped from P5 status 

20 hours ago, Coog kev said:

You guys are so phucking hilarious with your endless realignment threads.

The question you should be asking is whether college football will even exist in 10 years. :shrug:

25 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Hey Huckleberry, if the PAC-12 lost four to six members you can bet your ass they are gonna take their top four to six choices and that choice is gonna be about money, especially football money. So BYU, SDSU, Boise State, and I'm guessing Air Force or Colorado State will be getting a call. They will do everything they can not to get dropped from P5 status 

Its funny how you always eliminate Fresno State.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

55 minutes ago, renoskier said:

You guys are so phucking hilarious with your endless realignment threads.

The question you should be asking is whether college football will even exist in 10 years. :shrug:

Absolutely Yes.  I reread the CBS op-ed within the Bigger Thang.  The Power Five are lobbying Congress hard for the inevitable.  Players rights regarding individual branding and licensing.  Football is the main source.  It's not limited. A stud gymnast lady (I'm thinking Simone Briles connected to my alma mater let alone Oklahoma's fine gymnastics) for example.  Hoops stars. Big butt baseball dudes chewing tobaccy weeds supporting Scott's miracle grow in their neck of the woods. 

Like it or not, college sports in America are gonna be more commercialized, more distributed, more than anything ever before within an efficient time frame.  And I fully support it all.  The Power Five already took the baby steps of allowing athletes to have 'walking around money' in lieu of buying a mandatory college meal plan (but not housing).  It's the 'walking around money' athletic Stipend for a couple of grand.  $2k seems to be the rule of thumb.   

I strongly disagree that the AAC has some sort of inherent right to join the Power Five.  Granted its done its best to prove so, but as it exists today...that's not gonna cut it.

ReThink.  ReDo.  If you're not cutting the mustard betwixt AAC and MWC and our combined moving parts....EDIT.  As in removal of current members to wind up at most 16.  I like 14.

Once done, gun for PAC as it exists to displace them and outperform them financially and competitively. 

And ya..it's 2020.  Conjecture until 2023.

p.s. but not before the commercial rights of student-athletes.  I mean players.  You better be in Power league to woo them over outta high school.  America loves its sports.  Only baseball jumps from high school to professional with its plethora of minor league development squads.  Hoops is in the middle. Football doesn't do that at all. It's all about the college pipeline to NFL.  This won't change.  The Power 5 will. 

Power 6!

IF we decide to Collectively Do This in a couple of years and form the Power 6 and not 5.5...a 14 team league coast to coast. 

The western side will have to decide on its own.  On the AAC side I offer this.  Cincy, UCF, Memphis, Navy all sports (no split league), UH, Temple and team X.

20 hours ago, Ibanez said:

If the Pac loses 6, IMHO it's more likely they merge conferences with another existing P5 than inviting smaller media markets, lesser academics and for the most part, lesser athletic programs.  If you take the potentially 6 strongest Pac programs that might remain (USC, Washington, Oregon, UCLA, maybe one of the Arizona schools and Stanford or Colorado?) and "make them available", I promise the Big 12 would be interested. And it would give the Big 12 the opportunity to drop or at least put pressure on their own bottom feeders.  Fewer mouths to feed and the stronger of the P5 programs means more money for each.

Kinda logical in my mind...

1 hour ago, SparkysDad said:

And it would give the Big 12 the opportunity to drop or at least put pressure on their own bottom feeders. 

Such as....?

Kansas? - lousy though their football team may be historically, basketball makes them the team most likely to draw interest from another conference (other than Texas/OU).

Kansas State?  Bunch of schools wouldnt mind having their basketball or football records the last 2 decades.

TCU?  Basketball has never been stronger (not that that is saying much).  Football aint bad either....

Baylor?  Hate them though I may, you cant argue with their results the last decade.

TTech?  As bad as Coach Bro was perceived to be, they were a middling but not bad football team.  And their basketball has never been stronger, either.

West Virginia?  BBall cranks out 20 win seasons regularly.  Football has been better, but still has 3 losing seasons in the last 20.

Iowa State?  Matt Campbell has the football team trending upward, and basketball is almost always good.

Oklahoma State?  Gundy is always good for 7 to 10 wins, and the basketball team makes regular tourney appearances.

Big 12's biggest issue is perception.  The conference is deep, but not dominant.  The past infighting and the presence of the 500 lb gorilla in UT doesnt help.  After OU football and KU basketball, you can throw most of the remaining teams in a hat each year and draw them out.  And UT, for all their money, wildly underachieves.  Its a blessing and a curse.  The fact that TCU and Baylor are smaller private schools makes them more susceptible to losing a place at the table, but if they do it wont be because of on-the-field performance.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

22 hours ago, RSF said:

Such as....?

Kansas? - lousy though their football team may be historically, basketball makes them the team most likely to draw interest from another conference (other than Texas/OU).

Kansas State?  Bunch of schools wouldnt mind having their basketball or football records the last 2 decades.

TCU?  Basketball has never been stronger (not that that is saying much).  Football aint bad either....

Baylor?  Hate them though I may, you cant argue with their results the last decade.

TTech?  As bad as Coach Bro was perceived to be, they were a middling but not bad football team.  And their basketball has never been stronger, either.

West Virginia?  BBall cranks out 20 win seasons regularly.  Football has been better, but still has 3 losing seasons in the last 20.

Iowa State?  Matt Campbell has the football team trending upward, and basketball is almost always good.

Oklahoma State?  Gundy is always good for 7 to 10 wins, and the basketball team makes regular tourney appearances.

Big 12's biggest issue is perception.  The conference is deep, but not dominant.  The past infighting and the presence of the 500 lb gorilla in UT doesnt help.  After OU football and KU basketball, you can throw most of the remaining teams in a hat each year and draw them out.  And UT, for all their money, wildly underachieves.  Its a blessing and a curse.  The fact that TCU and Baylor are smaller private schools makes them more susceptible to losing a place at the table, but if they do it wont be because of on-the-field performance.

I believe at one point, there was at least a sliver of possibility that Texas and Oklahoma could end up in the Pac.  Or Oklahoma to the SEC. 

I do agree that of all of the P5 conferences, the Big 12 has the fewest obvious consistent anchors. I also believe that Iowa State, Kansas State and Texas Tech would be the three most likely to be well under the average for financial value to the conference.

Interesting speculation.  Personally I think that the Big Ten really wants to get Kansas as a member because it will improve their men's basketball conference considerably and they are clearly in the business of broadcasting men's basketball games to people living in the midwest.

I think Texas isn't going anywhere while the Longhorn Network contract is in place and that expires in 2035.  Oklahoma isn't leaving unless Texas does.

Missouri is the more likely school to join Kansas because it would restore the traditional rivalry and Missouri is an AAU school.  Keep in mind that Columbus, Missouri is in the Central Standard Time Zone while they play in the SEC East where every other school but Vanderbilt is in the Eastern Time Zone.  Missouri initially sought an invitation and settled for the SEC.  Don't kid yourself that a university president and trustees of an AAU school would not jump to join an athletic conference composed of entirely of AAU universities that are located relatively closer nearby

The Big Ten would show the SEC they are the more dominant conference.  The Big Ten already has the top media revenue and is likely to get more after 2023/4/5ish while the SEC isn't.

West Virginia would fit very well in the SEC East to replace Missouri.  Civil War history aside, WV is redneck country.

In summary

Kansas + Missouri to the B1G

West Virginia to the SEC.

The Big 12 would then be at eight members, four located in Texas, two in Oklahoma, one in Kansas and one in Iowa.

The Big 12 conference probably asks USC to join (obviously phenomal to have them leave the Pac but too great for it to actually happen) but settles for getting Arizona State and BYU to stay at ten.

Pac 12 would need one new member.  Probably SDSU but could be Hawai'i because of TV markets in the Pacific like the Phillipines, Australia, Japan, South Korea and China where they watch US sports but who knows.

If USC left the Pac 12 I think a PCC 2.0 scenario where the conference dissolves might occur.  It would be earth shattering for the Trojans to abandon traditional rivalries after more than a century (Cal and Stanford v USC goes back to the 1890s).  The remaining AAU schools might stay together but I could see Utah and Colorado joining Arizona State and USC if they were invited. 

Certainly UCLA, Arizona, Cal, Stanford, Washington and Oregon would be in the same conference together.  Without Utah and Colorado I doubt we would expand into the Mountain time zone so the expansion would be from the MW West division.  SDSU and Hawai'i would definitely be in.  I'd like both UNLV and Nevada but probably Oregon State and Washington State too.

On 5/31/2020 at 5:12 PM, Coog kev said:

Your ignorance of the P12 is showing.

Unlike the B12 and the SEC, academics matter to the P12. Accordingly, SDSU might have difficulty - although campus expansion is going to help that a lot - but Boise State simply will not be offered by the P12 in any of our lifetimes. It has the worst regarded academics in the Mountain West for crissakes. And regardless of geography, the P12 would never offer a military academy. Doesn't matter that their academics are excellent, they aren't research universities and the P12 prides itself on that.

It's all in the GOR schedule. PAC/B12/B10 renew between 2023-24 while SEC/ACC renew 2033-34. 

P12, at least to me feels like it's ripe for the picking, of the 3 coming up for renewal. Then the B12, with B10 not really in that equation other than potentially being the poacher. 

The best strategy is to "Move East" IOW get earlier K/O times because you get more potential eyeballs. That to me spells B12 picking up P12 south schools (2-4), the Socal Pair, the Az Pair, or the Mth Pair. The B12 would probably rather raid the ACC but its impossible with the deals in place. But these PAC schools will probably be the most likely to move given the current landscape. 

The K/O time dynamic makes it unlikely B12 schools "go west" by leaving the B12 to join the P12 without considerable guarantees from the distributing partner about K/O times/Exposure. So basically we're probably on the count down to the P12 being raided and starting the dominoes all over again.

USC/UCLA and/or ASU/AU or UU/CU

the other potential is USC goes indy, then the Mtn pair and Az pair move to the B12.