Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

C-USA/Sun Belt realignment

I dont see how a "merger"  between CUSA and the Sunbelt makes any sense what so ever.  As a merged 24 team conference, those 24 schools would be giving up half the auto-bids that group currently enjoys and still have a ton of travel.   I do think it makes a lot of sense for the two conferences to reshuffle their membership in order to become two much more regional conferences.  

50 minutes ago, CaffeinatedCoog said:

I dont see how a "merger"  between CUSA and the Sunbelt makes any sense what so ever.  As a merged 24 team conference, those 24 schools would be giving up half the auto-bids that group currently enjoys and still have a ton of travel.   I do think it makes a lot of sense for the two conferences to reshuffle their membership in order to become two much more regional conferences.  

Half the auto bids? So 1 bid worth about $250k right? Not sure that would prohibit consideration. And again I think the likely result is an alliance where the conferences may still compete for their own championships(especially outside of FB) but rights for the conferences would be sold as a bundle. As much as we sit saying it wouldn't happen (and admittedly I don't think it actually will) the issue for networks is now same amount of competition for fewer available content sources (Reduced from 5 to 3). Even in the worst speculation about the P5 splitting off there is almost always comments that the 65+1 would need to bring about another 20-25 schools with them or scheduling would be an issue...more than half of those schools are in the MW/ACC and most of the rest are in the SB/CUSA.

On 5/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, slappy said:

Does Joe Vandal fit?  Can Boise State block them from moving back up now?  @VandalPride97 

@boisewitha-s

Who knows.  The P5 is probably going to break away and the G5 will cannibalize.  No one knows what's in store.  The one good thing about FCS is that we didn't run up a huge operating budget that is shot to hell by C19.  Lots of schools rely on ticket sales to fund their athletics program.  Those guys will be hurting.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, VandalPride97 said:

Who knows.  The P5 is probably going to break away and the G5 will cannibalize.  No one knows what's in store.  The one good thing about FCS is that we didn't run up a huge operating budget that is shot to hell by C19.  Lots of schools rely on ticket sales to fund their athletics program.  Those guys will be hurting.

Perhaps those that rely on state tax funding, and student fees should also be concerned

On 5/27/2020 at 11:49 AM, bigd said:

It seems like this has been a long time coming, and the coronavirus will likely be the trigger to make it happen. There have been a lot of articles lately on their possible merger. A merger seems a bit crazy, they should really just have one conference for the eastern team and one of the western.

https://krod.com/conference-usa-and-sun-belt-could-combine-in-pandemic-recovery/

From this article:

There have been a handful of suggested models for how to merge the two leagues.

I would be happy for NMSU if this realignment allows them to finally join a conference, and one that has UTEP at that. That would definitely create some questions about the survival of the WAC though.

Ultimately, this makes too much sense not too happen.

Nmsu can rot for all I care 

On 5/28/2020 at 2:35 PM, CaffeinatedCoog said:

I don’t think a merger makes sense; but swapping schools so that you have one conference centered in Texas/Louisiana and one centered in Florida/Georgia/the Carolinas would be a pretty good and proactive move on their parts. The conferences would still be pretty balanced, but much more concise geographically. 

Western Conference 
Texas State

Rice

North Texas

UTSA

UTEP

UL Lafayette 

UL Monroe

LA Tech

Ark State

Southern Miss

Mid Tenn State

Western Kentucky 

UT Arlington 

Ark Little Rock

Eastern Conference 

FIU

FAU

Georgia St.

Georgia Southern

Coastal Carolina

App State

Charlotte

ODU

Marshall

UAB

South Alabama

Troy

8 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

I don’t think a merger makes sense; but swapping schools so that you have one conference centered in Texas/Louisiana and one centered in Florida/Georgia/the Carolinas would be a pretty good and proactive move on their parts. The conferences would still be pretty balanced, but much more concise geographically. 

Western Conference 
Texas State

Rice

North Texas

UTSA

UTEP

UL Lafayette 

UL Monroe

LA Tech

Ark State

Southern Miss

Mid Tenn State

Western Kentucky 

UT Arlington 

Ark Little Rock

Eastern Conference 

FIU

FAU

Georgia St.

Georgia Southern

Coastal Carolina

App State

Charlotte

ODU

Marshall

UAB

South Alabama

Troy

It makes sense, but the reality is LA Tech and ULM will not be in a conference together regardless of what is happening.

CUSA: Marshall, Southern Miss, MTSU, UAB, Arkansas State, La Tech, WKU, FAU, FIU, Little Rock (Olympic sports only member)

Sun Belt: Appy State, Old Dominion, Charlotte, Ga State, Ga Southern, USA, UL-M, UL-L, Coastal Carolina, UTA (Olympic sports only member)

WAC: NMSU, Texas State, UTEP, UTSA, Rice, UNT, Idaho, UMass (football only), Liberty (football only), Grand Canyon (Olympic sports only), UTRGV (Olympic sports only), Seattle U (Olympic sports only), Cal Baptist (Olympic sports only), Utah Valley (Olympic Sports only)

each conf can hold a champ game as you'll play every member of your conference with an 8 game schedule.

just a thought.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

14 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Nah. But with B1G $ they wouldn't need to worry about cost, especially if UCLA went with them. I could see their smaller sports going to the WCC.

Throw in a certain amount of hoops games per year - let's say three, with at least one roadie - and that's a good arrangement for both USC and the WCC.

@#1Stunner ?

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

I don't f-ckin' care about Last Vegas or what they have. I just know UNLV doesn't draw enough fans to get in the PAC-12 as it stands now. And you're one of the worst teams west of the Mississippi and it's been that way for decades. They would gain nothing.

Las Vegas is an untapped f-ckin’ market!  It’s about the f-ckin’ future!  And the PAC-12 will make the decision to let UNLV f-ckin’ join!

30 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

No one in Las Vegas cares about UNLV. So no, the PAC-12 doesn't either. The one major flaw in expansion is thinking markets matter. Eugene, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Clemson, Waco, Lincoln, South Bend,  Bloomington, Lexington, Stillwater ...I can keep going.

Markets mattered a bunch in the last round of realignment. Maryland and Rutgers aren't in the BIG10 because of their football prowess and geographic fit. If UNLV ever got it's s*** together, Vegas could matter a ton. Frankly, at their full potential, I'd put them towards the top of schools in the MWC for P5 potential....Unfortunately for them, it's currently a semi- commuter school with a football program that has a non-existent fanbase and teams that would have struggled to hang with better FCS programs over there last 20 years. 

57 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

No one in Las Vegas cares about UNLV. So no, the PAC-12 doesn't either. The one major flaw in expansion is thinking markets matter. Eugene, Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Clemson, Waco, Lincoln, South Bend,  Bloomington, Lexington, Stillwater ...I can keep going.

Absolutely false!  Rutgers was added to the B1G solely because of the New York City market.  They have been AWFUL athletically!

Salt Lake City and Denver were two big markets that the PAC-12 wanted to expand eastward.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Showing lack of knowledge about what constitutes a market.  Nebraska, whose market isnt Lincoln but most of the Great Plains.   Notre Dame, whose 'market' is pretty much the whole damn country.  When the SEC added Texas A&M, they werent adding the College Station market (about the size of Boise) but the whole state of Texas.  Even the pissants at Baylor arent merely a team in Waco but the 'team' for a whole lot of Texas Baptists.

Markets mean a whole lot.  If the Smurf Turf were located in, say, Denver, they might be in the Big 12 today.  Maybe.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.