Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MORE COLLEGE SPORTS ELIMINATED. WHO HAS A LIST?

Wright State cutting men's and women's tennis, and softball.  I think this is the first softball program to be cut, and the first D1 institution to drop more women's sports than men's.

Wright State is now below the D1 minimum required for membership.  They're at 11 sports overall.

https://wsuraiders.com/news/2020/6/3/general-wright-state-athletics-announces-program-changes.aspx

Bowling should be added. It’s a pretty cheap sport. Kansas dropped gymnastics and added bowling in the high schools. The fans get into the games more than you think. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

19 hours ago, Coog kev said:

Read that this morning.  Wright State is apply for an exemption re minimum squads...they should get it. 

Shoot, had no idea where Wright State is...Ohio land. 

Wright State should try to have their flying club declared a sport. The school is named for the Wright brothers and is only about 4 or 5 miles from Wright Patterson AF Base. Their sports teams are not much except for men's basketball which is only good occasionally.  It appears to me that Ohio public college sports teams are taking some significant cuts in sports.

Either they're grandfathered in, or they compete in a sport which doesn't otherwise have enough members to sponsor a championship.

Mostly applies to hockey, water polo or men's volleyball.

In FCS news, Florida A&M outta Tallahassee is bolting the Atlantic oriented MEAC July 2021 and shifting to the more competitive SWAC stretching from SE Texas and now beyond Alabama.  No cutting of anything in FAMU sports.  Upgrade in FCS league action in my opinion for FAMU.  To boot they save on travel costs.  Any given year in sports FAMU will give the SWAC something to think about re competition. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

Hey...revisiting this topic. I read this morning that the MAC is forming some sort of esports conference, outside the jurisdiction of NCAA.  To boot, the article said that MWC and some others are doing the same. What is an esports conference pls? 

2 hours ago, Coog kev said:

Hey...revisiting this topic. I read this morning that the MAC is forming some sort of esports conference, outside the jurisdiction of NCAA.  To boot, the article said that MWC and some others are doing the same. What is an esports conference pls? 

really?

video games...nothing to do with the ncaa

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Yep, Viidya games coming online and much more re esports.  One of my nieces has a degree in it all and it's for real.  You go girl!  Re-invent sports junks gaming online.  (But never backasswards MLB).