Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada6077

Cops

19 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Bad boys

Whatcha gonna do?

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Most cops are brave, selfless people who put their lives on the line everyday, and they don’t appreciate being lumped in with a minority of their brothers. It’s not cool that some people see blue and just think, “oh look, another murderous thug.”

Did I do it?

I'm in the Reserves and I have worked with more than a few men and women that work as peace officers as their civilian employment. Over half of them are dicks.

Stolen from a Reddit user:

They self reportedly shoot twice as many people as often as previously reported.

They killed more people in 2019 than all school shooters in US history. That stat should disgust you just for the fact it's a comparable stat.

They shoot one dog, every hour, every day.

If you follow directions you aren't garuanteed your life, especially if you aren't white.

Taxi drivers have a more dangerous job.

They kill more mentally disabled people than anyone.

They kill themselves almost 3 times more than they are killed in the line of duty.

It's not the cop that's the problem. It's the institution. The good cops (in big cities mostly) are the ones that get out when they see the injustice that happens everyday.

I think, therefore I'm.

57 minutes ago, ClevelandBrown said:

They self reportedly shoot twice as many people as often as previously reported.

They killed more people in 2019 than all school shooters in US history. That stat should disgust you just for the fact it's a comparable stat.

If you follow directions you aren't garuanteed your life, especially if you aren't white.

They kill themselves almost 3 times more than they are killed in the line of duty.

It's not the cop that's the problem. It's the institution. The good cops (in big cities mostly) are the ones that get out when they see the injustice that happens everyday.

The vast majority of people shot by cops, deserved to be shot by cops.

Every once in awhile someone gets shot that doesn't deserve to get shot

99%+ of interactions between police and the public result in nobody being shot, beaten or roughed up.

The vast majority of people that get arrested and thrown in jail (>95%), deserved to be arrested and thrown in jail.

Given a choice between living in a society with no law enforcement or one with law enforcement, Ill take take the later.

If you're expecting perfection in any organization made up of human beings, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Keep your dog on a leash

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

10 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

99%+ of interactions between police and the public result in nobody being shot, beaten or roughed up.

The vast majority of people that get arrested and thrown in jail (>95%), deserved to be arrested and thrown in jail.

Given a choice between living in a society with no law enforcement or one with law enforcement, Ill take take the later.

If you're expecting perfection in any organization made up of human beings, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Keep your dog on a leash

The stats I listed don't exist in any other western/developed country. Keep trying to defend an institution that is completely flawed and out of control.

We should expect better. I'm confused why you don't.

I think, therefore I'm.

3 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

Wow, that’s some really credible cop information there, skippy. Instead being in such a hurry to steal it, couldn’t you have at least gotten the posters name? Maybe you just left it out because it didn’t look so legit. I guess monikers like BillHatesPigs84, KaepernickCop07, IceT.StrikesBack4U, etc. wouldn’t be of much help. 

kat.jpg

7 hours ago, ClevelandBrown said:

The stats I listed don't exist in any other western/developed country. Keep trying to defend an institution that is completely flawed and out of control.

We should expect better. I'm confused why you don't.

Maybe you should go to the academy and become a cop. Show them how it's done.

I expect better but I'm a realist. Police are human beings and human beings do stupid shit, make mistakes and are at times venal, mean and corrupt. So unless we get Robots to do the work (and we all know how that turns out) or Jesus Christ himself shows up to take on the job, we are stuck with ourselves and all of that imperfection.

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

we're not stuck with the status quo

this is not an intractable problem

this is not an impossible to define problem

this is a problem with a simple solution but little political and cultural will to achieve it

What role do police unions play in protection of bad cops?  What about special immunity for government workers?

My thoughts are police are justified in using force to secure / arrest a suspect.  It should begin measured, and escalate as needed until secure.  If a suspect flashes a weapon and advances or aims, I am ok with shooting the suspect.  I am of the opinion police officers deserve to go home uninjured.  

However, I think it is long overdue to hold officers accountable, including officers that ignore illegal acts.  Laws need to change.

Tin foil conspiracies of white supremacists infiltration of police forces like those espoused by Sactowndog are bunk.  Are there some white supremacists on police roles? Sure. Prevalent, no.

Finally, we need to avoid estrogen induced rush to judgement.  Some of these cases, good police careers are ended unjustly.  Good cops like Darren Wilson should be supported, not villafied.

110926run_defense710.jpg

20 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

we're not stuck with the status quo

this is not an intractable problem

this is not an impossible to define problem

this is a problem with a simple solution but little political and cultural will to achieve it

You'll never remove the human from the equation. There are things I think could be changed; get rid of civil asset forfeiture, abolish qualified immunity, less militarization of local police forces, mental health reform. But at the end of the day, you'll be faced with human beings making judgement calls in stress filled situations in often times one on one situations where the other human being has a say in the ultimate outcome. 

-Richard Feynman

-P.J. O’Rourke

Law enforcement as a whole need to re-think how they're training officers. The rules of engagement are entirely too loose and cause tragedies.

Why is it that soldiers in war zones have a higher requirement of threat to fire upon enemy combatants than our law enforcement has to fire upon American citizens?

Despite what law enforcement officers are told, they are not putting their lives on the line every time they suit up. Officer deaths are down as a whole compared to other periods in our country's history, and yet the use of lethal force by police has increased dramatically.

44 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

You'll never remove the human from the equation. There are things I think could be changed; get rid of civil asset forfeiture, abolish qualified immunity, less militarization of local police forces, mental health reform. But at the end of the day, you'll be faced with human beings making judgement calls in stress filled situations in often times one on one situations where the other human being has a say in the ultimate outcome. 

there is so much ground to cover in all the stuff you suggest could be changed.  all those factors, and many others, would improve the judgment of the people involved

it's not that people have fallible judgment -- we know that.  it's that that judgment isn't even held up to scrutiny; to improvement, to measurement, to ANYTHING AT ALL TO IMPROVE it.

8 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Based on what metric?

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

2 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

What role do police unions play in protection of bad cops?  What about special immunity for government workers?

My thoughts are police are justified in using force to secure / arrest a suspect.  It should begin measured, and escalate as needed until secure.  If a suspect flashes a weapon and advances or aims, I am ok with shooting the suspect.  I am of the opinion police officers deserve to go home uninjured.  

However, I think it is long overdue to hold officers accountable, including officers that ignore illegal acts.  Laws need to change.

Tin foil conspiracies of white supremacists infiltration of police forces like those espoused by Sactowndog are bunk.  Are there some white supremacists on police roles? Sure. Prevalent, no.

Finally, we need to avoid estrogen induced rush to judgement.  Some of these cases, good police careers are ended unjustly.  Good cops like Darren Wilson should be supported, not villafied.

Among the roles of unions is to protect their members from unjust actions of the relevant employer. What "immunity"?

If there are more white supremacists in law enforcement organizations than in other business entities it's because there are more veterans of the military in law enforcement. My guess is there are more lowlifes like that in the military than most other societal entities because so many of them are incapable of earning a decent living in some other manner. (That's no knock on the veterans who post here.)

More "prevalent" than white supremacists in large law enforcement organizations are idiots like have been found in LAPD and LA County Sheriff's Department who create clubs to show how bad ass they are. Stuff like wearing the same bad ass tats which are concealed by their uniform, putting prohibited bad ass pins on the grip of their handgun, etc. Nothing like giving a "civil rights" lawyer representing somebody beaten up while taken into custody additional ammunition to argue that the cop intentionally harmed his client.