Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time

39 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

You don't want to discuss Spartans Athletics?

OK. 

Bye.

6/10

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

11 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Completely disagree.

These aren't "facts", these are expressed opinions.  

How do you fact check an OPINION?

Normally "Fact Checking" is when a politician  cites purported facts at a debate or something.   But apparently we are to the point of fact checking opinions.

Except the President is sharing it as fact, not opinion. Fact checking is appropriate. And it is not censoring. 

5 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

This reads like a creative writing assignment  you'd see at your local community college.

First, you need to correctly quote the actual passage of prose before you analyze it, or else your Community College English Professor will mark your grade down for analyzing a quote that doesn't exist.

Here is the assigned reading / quote:

Now, that we have the actual statement, the assignment is to pick which sentences in the assigned reading are facts (i.e., and can be objectively verified, and not reasonably disputed or argued over), and which sentences are Political Opinions ( can be debated, reasonably disputed, and argued with other rebuttal opinions and facts).

Then, once you have completed your assignment, you must write a piece of creative writing on why it makes sense to fact check the "political opinions" you have identified, and have censorship.

You will be graded.

5 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I summarized. There are neither facts nor opinions in those tweets, only outright, obvious lies. 

Or did they not teach the difference at BYU?

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

No facts?  No opinions?  Just lies!?!?

Yikes!!

The Professor might accept such an answer (it's just Community College, right?). But if you are going to succeed in your major at the bigger school, you are going to have to show your work!

3 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I like my job. I go to graduation every year.

Man. SJSUFA. You really got to the troll, bigot masquerading as a neutral, I" don't like Trump BUT..." poster.

Opinion: Trump is a moron.

Claim: Trump is a moron

Fact: Trump is a moron

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like he's going to issue an executive order designed to weaken Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act... which is effectively what allowed the internet of today to exist. 

Guest #1Stunner
7 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Man. SJSUFA. You really got to the troll, bigot masquerading as a neutral, I" don't like Trump BUT..." poster.

A bigot!?!  Ha!!

Not wanting censorship and advocating for unchecked free speech (for everyone, including that buffoon Trump) is now somehow being a "bigot"?

I don't think you understand the definition of that word.  Keep going, though!

Guest #1Stunner
9 hours ago, PokeTransplant said:

So, by your definition.  Political opinion can be refuted by factual evidence by either other users or media.

Here's your sign....

Definition of medium (Merriam-Webster)

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a: something in a middle positionThese shirts are all mediums.

b: a middle condition or degree : MEANLook for a happy medium.

2: a means of effecting or conveying something: such as

a(1): a substance regarded as the means of transmission (see TRANSMISSION sense 1) of a force or effectair is the medium that conveys sound

(2): a surrounding or enveloping substance

(3): the tenuous material (such as gas and dust) in space that exists outside large agglomerations (see AGGLOMERATION sense 2) of matter (such as stars)interstellar medium

bplural usually media

(1): a channel or system of communication, information, or entertainment— compare MASS MEDIUM

(2): a publication or broadcast that carries advertising

(3): a mode of artistic expression or communicationas his literary medium he has chosen a biographical form— Ernest Newman

(4): something (such as a magnetic disk) on which information may be stored

cmedia plural : digital audio or video files available for playback or streaming… the free video broadcasts can be downloaded to portable media players from a number of popular pod[cast] and vodcast Web sites.— Steve MillerApple's current keyboards can use the function keys … for alternate functions such as controlling volume, screen brightness, media playback …— Dan Frakes

d: GO-BETWEEN, INTERMEDIARYthe medium of introduction was no doubt … the publisher— Richard Garnett

eplural mediums : an individual held to be a channel of communication between the earthly world and a world of spirits

f: material or technical means of artistic expression (such as paint and canvas, sculptural stone, or literary or musical form)

3a: a condition or environment in which something may function or flourishOcean fish live in a medium of salt water.

bplural media

(1): a nutrient system for the artificial cultivation of cells or organisms and especially bacteria

(2): a fluid or solid in which organic (see ORGANIC entry 1 sense 1) structures are placed (as for preservation or mounting)

c: a liquid with which pigment is mixed by a painter

Would love to get into the debate as to if Twitter is a communication medium

It looks like Twitter is about to be defined this morning, by Executive Order.  We'll see....

Guest #1Stunner
8 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Except the President is sharing it as fact, not opinion. Fact checking is appropriate. And it is not censoring. 

Very deep analysis.

A similar draft order was written last summer.

It was never enacted.

Its noteworthy that Twitter made no effort to apply similar tags the President's Scarborough tweets.  Or any one of hundreds of other tweets, for that matter.  Twitter is daring the President to make this a fight.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Guest #1Stunner
49 minutes ago, retrofade said:

From what I've been reading, it sounds like he's going to issue an executive order designed to weaken Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act... which is effectively what allowed the internet of today to exist. 

2012003081-300x0.jpg

Speak for yourself.  

1 hour ago, retrofade said:

So... twitter would be held liable for Trump's defamatory tweets? 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

I had posted a week ago about an apt bldg in California that received about 60 ballots to a single old persons mailbox. To pretend there would not be any fraud is a complete lie.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3902690/Questions-voter-fraud-man-finds-83-ballots-shipped-single-address-apartment-complex.html

Really striking how some would like to see free speech that they don't like be censored.  This is a prime example how liberals especially show how they completely disregard the Constitution when it suits them.  
Hell, all of CNN should be censored then right?  They make up things and promote lies so they should be restricted.  

3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

So... twitter would be held liable for Trump's defamatory tweets? 

If Section 230 were to be weakened, my guess is that it would actually backfire. It would require places like Twitter to be even more judicious in their "censorship" of people, in an attempt to not be held liable for the statements of their users.

2 minutes ago, retrofade said:

If Section 230 were to be weakened, my guess is that it would actually backfire. It would require places like Twitter to be even more judicious in their "censorship" of people, in an attempt to not be held liable for the statements of their users.

That's my guess too. Though I would venture to guess any exec order will attempt to force them to treat conservative voices "fairly" or some bullshit... 

Ita unclear to me how an executive order would do that though. EO's are limited in their scope. This seems beyond the power of an EO to deal with. 

1 minute ago, pokerider said:

I had posted a week ago about an apt bldg in California that received about 60 ballots to a single old persons mailbox. To pretend there would not be any fraud is a complete lie.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3902690/Questions-voter-fraud-man-finds-83-ballots-shipped-single-address-apartment-complex.html

Really striking how some would like to see free speech that they don't like be censored.  This is a prime example how liberals especially show how they completely disregard the Constitution when it suits them.  
Hell, all of CNN should be censored then right?  They make up things and promote lies so they should be restricted.  

Please tell us what censorship has taken place. 

Additionally, there's a difference between pointing out potential for problems (which haven't been an issue in other states to this point) and stating outright that the election would be "rigged". 

3 minutes ago, pokerider said:

that's certainly concerning and warrants investigation

but given the general consensus that the govt is inept it seems unlikely that massive voter fraud could be effectuated, sufficient to tip the scales one way or another.  i think there's certainly a concern, but mostly i think it's a boogey man.

Guest #1Stunner
12 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Suspending and restricting users[edit]

Main articles: Deplatforming and Twitter suspensions

Under the Terms of Service that Twitter requires its users to agree to, Twitter retains the right to temporarily or permanently suspend user accounts based on a violation of the agreement.[61] One such example took place on December 18, 2017, when it banned the accounts belonging to Paul Golding, Jayda Fransen, Britain First, and the Traditionalist Worker Party.[citation needed]. More recently, Donald Trump, the 45th President of the United States, has faced a limited degree of censorship.[62][63] Trump has used the platform extensively for communication with the country, and has escalated tensions with other nations through his tweets.[64]

Twitter's policies have been described as subject to manipulation by users who may coordinate to flag politically controversial tweets as allegedly violating the platform's policies, resulting in deplatforming of controversial users.[61] The platform has long been criticized for its failure to provide details of underlying alleged policy violations to the subjects of Twitter suspensions and bans.[65]

In 2018, Twitter rolled out a "quality filter" that hid content and users deemed "low quality" from search results and limited their visibility, leading to accusations of shadow banning. After conservatives claimed it censors users from the political right, Alex Thompson, a writer for VICE, confirmed that many prominent Republican politicians had been "shadow banned" by the filter.[66] Twitter later acknowledged the problem, stating that the filter had a software bug that would be fixed in the near future.[66]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Twitter#Suspending_and_restricting_users

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Please tell us what censorship has taken place. 

Additionally, there's a difference between pointing out potential for problems (which haven't been an issue in other states to this point) and stating outright that the election would be "rigged". 

See above.