Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time

Guest #1Stunner
26 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Why should I do that when twitter already did it for me? Go ahead and click the link.

You make a good point though. I spend enough of my time reading nonsense arguments from people who couldn’t be bothered to do their homework. I’m not going to do it with a halfwit troll educated at a cult headquarters masquerading as a university. Have a nice day.

^^^^

You don't do your homework, and you'll find yourself working at a Community College instead of a real College..

Decades upon decades of churning out associates degrees.  Gotta be rough.

Guest #1Stunner
48 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Haha — I’m not going to get into a late night tit for tat with a batshit crazy mother+++++er loon who should be sedated and locked away in a padded state hospital cell.

Dude.... 

HAHAHA!!!

6 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

is that why you guys were going on about postmodernism earlier?

I just liked one post about it.

But yeah the postmodernism movement predicted the post-truth moment we live in now. Where you can say any crazy thing that comes to your head and it becomes an “opinion” which you have the “right” to. It’s a breakdown in the agreed-upon reality that has governed human interaction for millennia. 

The famous “this is not a pipe” painting by Rene Magritte is an example. It’s literally a painting of a pipe, but at the same time, it’s not really a pipe, merely a representation of a pipe. By the same token, nothing humans beings say or write or otherwise communicate can be called reality. They are merely representations of reality. So incredibly dishonest people can weaponize language to represent a reality that doesn’t exist, but who’s to say it doesn’t? It’s just words. I have the right to my opinion. Etc. Once this becomes prevalent, words cease to have meaning, and some truly scary shit like, say, a world leader straight up lying in public, becomes a “debate” rather than those of us who know better being able to simply point out his lies. 

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

^^^^

You don't do your homework, and you'll find yourself working at a Community College instead of a real College..

I like my job. I go to graduation every year.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I like my job. I go to graduation every year.

Someone has to teach remedial English at the local community college.

Cheers.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Someone has to teach remedial English at the local community college.

Cheers.

Remedial English no longer exists.

https://www.kqed.org/news/11754602/in-move-away-from-remedial-classes-california-community-colleges-roll-out-more-transfer-level-alternatives

1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I just liked one post about it.

But yeah the postmodernism movement predicted the post-truth moment we live in now. Where you can say any crazy thing that comes to your head and it becomes an “opinion” which you have the “right” to. It’s a breakdown in the agreed-upon reality that has governed human interaction for millennia. 

The famous “this is not a pipe” painting by Rene Magritte is an example. It’s literally a painting of a pipe, but at the same time, it’s not really a pipe, merely a representation of a pipe. By the same token, nothing humans beings say or write or otherwise communicate can be called reality. They are merely representations of reality. So incredibly dishonest people can weaponize language to represent a reality that doesn’t exist, but who’s to say it doesn’t? It’s just words. I have the right to my opinion. Etc. Once this becomes prevalent, words cease to have meaning, and some truly scary shit like, say, a world leader straight up lying in public, becomes a “debate” rather than those of us who know better being able to simply point out his lies. 

hm.  very curious.  reminds me of 1984 and doublespeak.

Guest #1Stunner
1 hour ago, happycamper said:

What do you think censorship is?

It's what the folks in Wenatchee call efforts to restrict, and limit free speech, that doesn't cause harm.

I'm not in favor of it for Trump.  I'm not in favor of it for folks in Hong Kong (which China is trying to limit speaking out on American platforms).  I'm not in favor of it for Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Suspending and restricting users[edit]

Main articles: Deplatforming and Twitter suspensions

Under the Terms of Service that Twitter requires its users to agree to, Twitter retains the right to temporarily or permanently suspend user accounts based on a violation of the agreement.[61] One such example took place on December 18, 2017, when it banned the accounts belonging to Paul Golding, Jayda Fransen, Britain First, and the Traditionalist Worker Party.[citation needed]. More recently, Donald Trump, the 45th President of the United States, has faced a limited degree of censorship.[62][63] Trump has used the platform extensively for communication with the country, and has escalated tensions with other nations through his tweets.[64]

Twitter's policies have been described as subject to manipulation by users who may coordinate to flag politically controversial tweets as allegedly violating the platform's policies, resulting in deplatforming of controversial users.[61] The platform has long been criticized for its failure to provide details of underlying alleged policy violations to the subjects of Twitter suspensions and bans.[65]

In 2018, Twitter rolled out a "quality filter" that hid content and users deemed "low quality" from search results and limited their visibility, leading to accusations of shadow banning. After conservatives claimed it censors users from the political right, Alex Thompson, a writer for VICE, confirmed that many prominent Republican politicians had been "shadow banned" by the filter.[66] Twitter later acknowledged the problem, stating that the filter had a software bug that would be fixed in the near future.[66]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Twitter#Suspending_and_restricting_users

2 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

hm.  very curious.  reminds me of 1984 and doublespeak.

Yeah postmodern authors basically write in doublespeak, to the point where it’s hard to tell whether it’s satire. If you’ve looked at The Onion lately, you know we’re there. Stunner would be a lot better at his craft if he read some David Foster Wallace.

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

^^^^

Lulz. You're better at trolling on the sports board. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
4 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

WOW.

The Community Colleges have gotten much more advanced in California.

I guess it makes sense, since the state universities are chasing after out of state students and foreign nationals (gotta get that higher, non-resident tuition), leaving many residents rejected.  I heard it is very difficult to get into SDSU now (not sure about SJSU).   

If you don't get accepted to one of the bigger schools, or can't afford the WCC, then your plight is the 2nd Tier at California's Community Colleges.  It is what it is....  Learn to Code, I guess. 

Guest #1Stunner

Yeah postmodern authors basically write in doublespeak, to the point where it’s hard to tell whether it’s satire. If you’ve looked at The Onion lately, you know we’re there.

Stunner would be a lot better at his craft if he read some David Foster Wallace.

David Foster Wallace?  Is there money in David Foster Wallace?   

If I spent time reading that, and mastered "Post Modernism", the only practicable job course I can think of is ....... as a Community College Professor.   

No thanks!!!  

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Lulz. You're better at trolling on the sports board. 

I've never trolled.

Fact check that.

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

WOW.

The Community Colleges have gotten much more advanced in California.

I guess it makes sense, since the state universities are chasing after out of state students and foreign nationals (gotta get that higher, non-resident tuition), leaving many residents rejected.  I heard it is very difficult to get into SDSU now (not sure about SJSU).   

If you don't get accepted to one of the bigger schools, or can't afford the WCC, then your plight is the 2nd Tier at California's Community Colleges.  It is what it is....  Learn to Code, I guess. 

It has nothing to do with that. Remedial classes were inherently racist and not useful.

https://assessment.cccco.edu/ab-705-implementation

Community college students, once they transfer, outperform students who got accepted as freshmen.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nancyleesanchez/2019/01/30/community-college-transfers-outperform-high-schoolers-at-top-colleges-so-why-do-we-ignore-them/#7bb53f059d71

You can learn to code at many community colleges.

https://pasadena.edu/academics/degrees-and-certificates/certificates-of-achievement/programming.php

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

David Foster Wallace?  Is there money in David Foster Wallace?   

If I spent time reading that, and mastered "Post Modernism", the only practicable job course I can think of is ....... as a Community College Professor.   

No thanks!!!  

Is there money in your weird troll schtick? And yet here you are...

Guest #1Stunner

It has nothing to do with that. Remedial classes were inherently racist and not useful.

https://assessment.cccco.edu/ab-705-implementation

Community college students, once they transfer, outperform students who got accepted as freshmen.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nancyleesanchez/2019/01/30/community-college-transfers-outperform-high-schoolers-at-top-colleges-so-why-do-we-ignore-them/#7bb53f059d71

You can learn to code at many community colleges.

https://pasadena.edu/academics/degrees-and-certificates/certificates-of-achievement/programming.php

I was in remedial English and they taught me commas, punctuation, and basic grammar (I had no idea I was being victimized?!?!)

There is no censorship in this specific situation.  Hate it all you want.  

Hopefully any account that gets reported or flagged heavily for spreading lies that could lead to civic unrest gets a factcheck instead of just him though.  Or don't use fact check at all.  Or, don't use their platforms and then bitch about it.  Any of those will do.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Is there money in your weird troll schtick? And yet here you are...

I'm here because I like learning from....Community College Professors.  I just learned about Post Modernism for the first time today. 

This is a tuition free course. 

Think about that. 

Guest #1Stunner

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/27/trump-executive-order-social-media-twitter-285891

Trump to sign executive order on social media amid Twitter furor

Kayleigh McEnany told reporters aboard Air Force One that the order is “pertaining to social media” but shared no additional details on what it will do.

McEnany told reporters aboard Air Force One that the order is “pertaining to social media” but shared no additional details on what it will do. But the announcement revived fears within the online industry that the Trump administration will target a 24-year-old statute that protects the companies from lawsuits — an avenue that a growing number of Republican lawmakers have advocated in their bias allegations about Silicon Valley.

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I was in remedial English and they taught me commas, punctuation, and basic grammar (I had no idea I was being victimized?!?!)

You don’t need to be set back an entire semester (or three or four in some cases) just to learn how to use commas. 

8 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I'm here because I like learning from....Community College Professors.  I just learned about Post Modernism for the first time today. 

This is a tuition free course. 

Think about that. 

Is your point that knowledge is free and that no one should pay outrageous tuition just to learn what’s freely available on the internet? I actually agree with you there.