Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time

7 minutes ago, bsubroncochick said:

I don’t follow her closely enough to know—I was using her as an example because she is prolific on Twitter.  But I remember she had a lot of claims on how much her “New Green Deal” was going to cost, something like $21 million should cover it. 

fair enough

1 hour ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

A basic civil service test as a requirement to be president would be a good thing. with public display of their answers. 

The political wonderlic.  I would guess there would be a few JaMarcus Russell scores along the way.

Just now, Jackrabbit said:

What...dont want a million hits a day?

Nope

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

26 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Here is an opinion that black people are dying due to "systemic violence" and that it is not merely because of "bad apples".

Again....AOC expressed an Opinion. 

I guess based on the logic here, Twitter (the forum host) needs to "fact check" this Opinion (unsubstantiated claim), and flag this post with a link to a rebuttal argument, showing that this claim is not true?   Maybe they can link a Fox News Article rebutting this claim (Twitter linked a CNN Article to Trump).   (I'm sure there are arguments showing that this claim is true, though, too).   This is seriously what people are arguing on here....

i confess i don't think the tweets between trump re: inevitable future massive election fraud and aoc re: past events that can (imo) reasonably be construed as systemic in nature can be compared in any meaningful fashion.

32 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Disagree.

Mug is a person. (which he can express his opinions)

Mug is also the owner of the board. (which he can use the software to censor political opinion if he wanted to.....he doesn't do this)

There is a lot wrong here.

First, the owners of Twitter are people

Second, Twitter itself is legally a person.

Thirdly, Mug absolutely censors political opinions. Start linking prison planet and stormfront and see how long that shit lasts

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

i confess i don't think the tweets between trump re: inevitable future massive election fraud and aoc re: past events that can (imo) reasonably be construed as systemic in nature can be compared in any meaningful fashion.

So, whether a political opinion (not a fact) should be flagged and Twitter intervenes is whether someone decides the expressed political opinion is SUBJECTIVELY reasonable or not?

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

There is a lot wrong here.

First, the owners of Twitter are people

Second, Twitter itself is legally a person.

Thirdly, Mug absolutely censors political opinions. Start linking prison planet and stormfront and see how long that shit lasts

Twitter is not just a legal entity.  It is also a forum.  That's it's software, right?  An online forum?

Is prison planet and stormfront mainstream political opinion?  Never heard of it.

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

So, whether a political opinion (not a fact) should be flagged and Twitter intervenes is whether someone decides the expressed political opinion is SUBJECTIVELY reasonable or not?

assuming for the moment that twitter has committed some sort of moral or ethical breach, and also assuming that that "someone" you refer to is the owners of the platform, i think that's pretty much correct.  they, twitter/platform owners, used their judgment to deem president trump's assertions + role and function + current spread of evidence pro/con for this particular topic as meritorious of a little asterisk at the end.  given the circumstances, i am glad they did so and applaud it.

51 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

It’s amazing. I almost begrudgingly admire it in a way. It’s like when Christians claim that they’re oppressed, somehow forgetting that we use their saviors death to literally mark time. 

I have a couple cousins who are Trumpers. I told them I just don’t see Trump’s appeal and one of them said: “I like that he finally gives white men a voice”. He was 100% serious. 

Guest #1Stunner
7 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

assuming for the moment that twitter has committed some sort of moral or ethical breach, i think that's pretty much correct.  they used their judgment to deem president trump's assertions, coupled with what his function is, and the spread of evidence pro/con for this particular topic as meritorious of a little asterisk at the end.  given the circumstances, i am glad they did so and applaud it.

I'll agree to disagree.

In my opinion, Twitter, the forum host, should not be acting as the judge (subjective) of what political opinions they think are virtuous and good, and what opinions are dishonest and require fact checking (rebuttal).  There is a slippery slope by doing that...  Censorship.

It should be other Twitter users or media who debunks poor or outrageous statements.

Just now, #1Stunner said:

I'll agree to disagree.

In my opinion, Twitter, the forum host, should not be acting as the judge (subjective) of what political opinions they think are virtuous and good, and what opinions are dishonest and require fact checking (rebuttal).  There is a slippery slope by doing that...  Censorship.

It should be other Twitter users or media who debunks poor our outrageous statements.

fair enough.

2 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Completely disagree.

These aren't "facts", these are expressed opinions.  

How do you fact check an OPINION?

Normally "Fact Checking" is when a politician  cites purported facts at a debate or something.   But apparently we are to the point of fact checking opinions.

At no point in his Tweet does Trump ever state or even imply that this is his "opinion".

And several of the statements are stated as though they are fact, such as: "anyone living in the state, no matter how they got there, will get one".

That's an outright and verifiable lie, not an opinion.

2 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

A basic civil service test as a requirement to be president would be a good thing. with public display of their answers. 

Knowing the scope of who and what are required to comply with the Constitution is pretty basic civics. I learned that as a high school senior yet even after 3.5 years in the White House, Donald Trump (and probably his idiot sons as well) doesn't know it to this day.

21st century Murica: Where even a total numbskull can become president.

18 minutes ago, renoskier said:

At no point in his Tweet does Trump ever state or even imply that this is his "opinion".

And several of the statements are stated as though they are fact, such as: "anyone living in the state, no matter how they got there, will get one".

That's an outright and verifiable lie, not an opinion.

But see according to stunner that is going to happen in the future so you don't know what will happen in the future so its an opinion. Now sure, that is not happening but between now and then they might change the laws and somehow make that legal and then go ahead and change the policies and send them to "anyone living in the state, no matter how they got there". So its only an opinion.

TIL any future event like the sun rising in the morning is just an opinion.

2 hours ago, bsubroncochick said:

I don’t have a huge issue with them fact checking the president, IF it is done fairly across the board.  For instance, are we going to see fact check links when AOC tweets out any of her laughably insane opinions?  Somehow I doubt it.  

I don't read anything that woman says so I'll ask this. Does she use the caveat "in my opinion" or a euphemism for that? Because I can't recall the last time I heard Trump so qualify one of his statements. Instead, probably a dozen times a week the guy spews out absolute lies as if they're facts.

His so doing would be benign except that literally millions of our fellow citizens believe his bullshit. To quote a great philosopher, sad.

8 minutes ago, tspoke said:

But see according to stunner that is going to happen in the future so you don't know what will happen in the future so its an opinion. Now sure, that is not happening but between now and then they might change the laws and somehow make that legal and then go ahead and change the policies and send them to "anyone living in the state, no matter how they got there". So its only an opinion.

TIL any future event like the sun rising in the morning is just an opinion.

Which is why Stunner is nothing but a troll.

The thing about trump's constant lying is that you would think after a lifetime of lies & deceptions.......and now 4+ years of campaigns & being in office............that only Cult 45 buys into the lies & idiocy coming out of trump, the White House & the trump campaign - Cult 45 has bought in 100% and it doesn't matter that trump is lying to them, they don't care or don't even know that it's happening...........so that's 35-40% of his voters..............does the trump camp's strategists think the other 60-65% of people will also be so fvcking gullible as the trump base & suddenly come around to the lies ?!?! 

This comes down to how delusional trump & his fan club is that they really think the vast majority of people see trump as legit & truthful ....and not the nitwit dumbfvck he really is --- It's like a movie where the crazy guy thinks he's the only sane guy & everyone else is crazy & out to get him