Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time

14 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Go to 2 minutes, and you have exactly what I am saying. "Twitter is a private company and it can remove whomever it wants for whatever reason, and we can judge them for their inconsistencies." We can argue whether Twitter, and other social media, applies its policies inconsistently. And I think it's a fair criticism. You should really organize a boycott. 

However, arguing for stricter regulation of Twitter because it fact-checked the sitting president is hostile to the First Amendment.

3 minutes ago, RSF said:

FIFY.

Congress shall make no law....

Yup, and when they actually realize what the first amendment is and does, and what the first amendment is not and does not do, they get all bent out of shape over it.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Go to 2 minutes, and you have exactly what I am saying. "Twitter is a private company and it can remove whomever it wants for whatever reason, and we can judge them for their inconsistencies." We can argue whether Twitter, and other social media, applies its policies inconsistently. And I think it's a fair criticism. You should really organize a boycott. 

However, arguing for stricter regulation of Twitter because it fact-checked the sitting president is hostile to the First Amendment.

I'm in favor of regulating private companies.

I'm more comfortable about private companies barring access or censoring, if they aren't a monopoly. 

But as Elizabeth Warren has correctly pointed out, Facebook Youtube and Twitter are virtual monopolies in their space, and if they bar access, they are effectively barring speech.  So there is no alternative forum to speak out in than those monopolies.

1*16g6dM_qyvvqYmC9t8gDYA.png

https://medium.com/@teamwarren/heres-how-we-can-break-up-big-tech-9ad9e0da324c

12 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

You know, you make a good point. Add me to the list.

It should be re-stated what you said in the last post, though... This is about the president trying to pressure and/or force a private entity to not release particular information. The president wants to restrain this private entity from releasing or publishing particular information prior to its release. Unless I'm missing something.

I don't think you are a missing a thing.

10 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

You don't understand the words you are attempting to use.

Just because someone is an asshole, doesn't make them a bigot.

I, and others, on this board understand that you're a troll, an asshole (your own description) and display signs of bigotry. The former two apply to this thread. The latter, you've done in other threads.

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I'm more comfortable about private companies barring access or censoring, if they aren't a monopoly. 

But as Elizabeth Warren has correctly pointed out, Facebook Youtube and Twitter are virtual monopolies in their space, and if they bar access, they are effectively barring speech.  So there is no alternative forum to speak out in than those monopolies.

Again, Twitter criticized the president, not censored him.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I think breaking up monopolies is worthy of discussion. I do believe private companies can be regulated. I do not believe in violating First Amendment rights, though.

59 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I did.

Go back and read, the footnotes were bolded in red.  Not fault that you failed to notice.

Besides, this is about an ISSUE, and not necessarily about Donald Trump (think beyond Trump for once)...

Why are you cheerleading censorship? Just because you are in favor of silencing people you disagree with?!?!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8363583/Trump-sign-executive-order-social-media-wake-Twitter-fact-checking-tweets.html

Stunner, what do you think censorship is?

49 minutes ago, pokerider said:

Twitter is a public company.  If they, or FB or Google etc. wish to be political organizations, then they should be treated as such and taxed as such.  If a public or private company is a political organization, they are restricted by how much they can contribute to political candidates.  The billionaires who run these companies can make their own private donations and they can donate as much as they want to a PAC.  

that feeling when you back the republicans so hard you argue against Citizens United

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

I don't think you are a missing a thing.

Well then...

I'm finishing my coffee.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

20 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

A lie about the electoral process before an election, no less. Bonkers, just bonkers.

why are you censoring NV giant

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

why are you censoring NV giant

Because he's the most censorship-loving person on this board. He actively undermines my right to express myself with all the words I want. A little Tit for Tat.

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

that feeling when you back the republicans so hard you argue against Citizens United

Dammit. I meant to get back to that comment, and you stole my thunder.

Just now, smltwnrckr said:

Because he's the most censorship-loving person on this board. He actively undermines my right to express myself with all the words I want. A little Tit for Tat.

That's not censorship! I fight for your right to express any and all ideas, even the crazy ones. I just want you to do it in fewer words. 

Why are you censoring me

Just now, NVGiant said:

That's not censorship! I fight for your right to express any and all ideas, even the crazy ones. I just want you to do it in fewer words. 

The form is part of the expression, man. Why do you try to extinguish my flame?

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Why are you censoring me

Because you stack your derbies against me. I'm punching up.

The form is part of the expression, man. Why do you try to extinguish my flame?

I never want to extinguish. Just trying to help you better express ... Wait a second, come to think of it, you know who tries to limit the length of expressions of ideas?! TWITTER!!! 

Guest #1Stunner
20 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I, and others, on this board understand that you're a troll, an asshole (your own description) and display signs of bigotry. The former two apply to this thread. The latter, you've done in other threads.

19789999.jpg

11 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Because you stack your derbies against me. I'm punching up.

You can't stop replying to my comments which is a cute way of saying editorializing which is censorship!!!!!

the only way to not censor someone with free speech is to hear what they say and then never reply. True discourse

9 minutes ago, NVGiant said:

Wait a second, come to think of it, you know who tries to limit the length of expressions of ideas?! TWITTER!!! 

giphy.gif