Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time

Just now, #1Stunner said:

Thanks! 

Now you can see why I had to attend remedial English.

That's funny. but if there's more than one, it can't be a monopoly. There are multiple competing social media options. Ironically, the POTUS and all the other conservative commentators who think Twitter is censoring right-wing viewpoints would be able to effect meaningful change by cancelling their Twitter accounts and getting Gab accounts or accounts with some other social network that competes with twitter. That would instantly legitimize that other media outlet, and Trump's Gabs or Instagrams or Google pluses Or FOX NEWS SOCIAL MEDIA messages or whatever would still get the same amount of coverage. But that's not the goal here. Free speech is not the goal here. The goal is to extend the culture war front lines to the internet (which they have had a real hard time doing for a long time) by trying to punish platforms that they deem as not conservative enough. And they wand to undermine the First Amendment to do it, in the name if Free Speech.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, smltwnrckr said:

That's funny. but if there's more than one, it can't be a monopoly. There are multiple competing social media options. Ironically, the POTUS and all the other conservative commentators who think Twitter is censoring right-wing viewpoints would be able to effect meaningful change by cancelling their Twitter accounts and getting Gab accounts or accounts with some other social network that competes with twitter.

That would instantly legitimize that other media outlet, and Trump's Gabs or Instagrams or Google pluses Or FOX NEWS SOCIAL MEDIA messages or whatever would still get the same amount of coverage. But that's not the goal here. Free speech is not the goal here. The goal is to extend the culture war front lines to the internet (which they have had a real hard time doing for a long time) by trying to punish platforms that they deem as not conservative enough. And they wand to undermine the First Amendment to do it, in the name if Free Speech.

Monopolies in their sphere:

Youtube - the Video Monopoly on the internet (yeah, I know about Twitch, for gamers)

Twitter -- the twitter monopoly----though a guy named @retrofade insists there is a huge platform called Gab, and that all the big wigs of society are on gab.

MWC Board -- the Hair Thompson complaint forum monopoly

If there is one thing Mug taught me (in his Omnipotent role of the Board Owner)---let the people speak!!! (unless it is the Tulsa guy, then sensor him for insulting the Boise fans).

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I don't think that Mug sensors Political Opinions on this board.

Yes, this is Mug's website.  

But surely you aren't saying that the MWC Board is somehow similar in size and influence as Twitter, and Youtube, right? 

I will be fun to see Joe Rogan host an episode like this on the MWC Board

The MWCboard is actually a pretty good comparison to twitter if we are talking about Mountain West sports messageboards. Maybe even more powerful because there isn't a facebook or Instagram to Mug's MWCboard. He's the only game in town that I know of. But if Mug pissed us all off enough we could create our own MWC messageboard just like others could create a twitter alternative or go to the ones that already exist like Gab.

You keep posting that video but why am I supposed to care about Joe Rogan's thoughts about this?

Monopolies in their sphere:

Youtube - the Video Monopoly on the internet (yeah, I know about Twitch, for gamers)

No, there are other video options than Youtube and Twitch. 

Twitter -- the twitter monopoly----though a guy named @retrofade insists there is a huge platform called Gab, and that all the big wigs of society are on gab.

Yes, Twitter has a monopoly on tweets just like Toyota has a monopoly on 4Runners. But there are other social media platforms for disseminating ideas cheaply and easily.

MWC Board -- the Hair Thompson complaint forum monopoly

There's an entire ecology of Hair complaint forums in the team boards that can be accessed without being forced to kneel to mug's arbitrary and capricious wrath. 

If there is one thing Mug taught me (in his Omnipotent role of the Board Owner)---let the people speak!!! (unless it is the Tulsa guy, then sensor him for insulting the Boise fans).

Again, this is funny. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, tspoke said:

The MWCboard is actually a pretty good comparison to twitter if we are talking about Mountain West sports messageboards. Maybe even more powerful because there isn't a facebook or Instagram to Mug's MWCboard. He's the only game in town that I know of. But if Mug pissed us all off enough we could create our own MWC messageboard just like others could create a twitter alternative or go to the ones that already exist like Gab.

You keep posting that video but why am I supposed to care about Joe Rogan's thoughts about this?

I think the barrier to entry to creating a MWC Board competitor (don't worry Mug!!!) is much easier than creating a Twitter competitor.  Twitter is platform for opinions goes across all spectrums---and even has heads of state and celebrities.    Twitter is a monopoly.

I post Joe Rogan clips, because some people need help (not necessarily you) grasping the concept that this is a real issue to discuss, and not necessarily a Donald Trump issue.  (some posters get their Donald Trump boner going if it is remotely related to him). 

17 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Never thought I'd see so many people want censorship (from Big Tech---the 21st Century, unchecked Monopolies).

Apparently a lot do.

You want to sensor twitter.

Guest #1Stunner
23 minutes ago, toonkee said:

You want to sensor twitter.

I want to prevent Twitter from censoring.

I have no problem if Twitter's employees / owners want to create accounts and express their opinions.  I assume they already do?!?

(I'm shocked how many people want to restrict speech in various creative ways)

Guest #1Stunner
22 minutes ago, RSF said:

The+World's+Top+Social+Media+Platforms+i

What is the difference between Facebook, FB Messenger, and Whatsapp?  I thought two of them were like messaging apps, and not social media platforms. 

24 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I want to prevent Twitter from censoring.

I have no problem if Twitter's employees / owners want to create accounts and express their opinions.  I assume they already do?!?

(I'm shocked how many people want to restrict speech in various creative ways)

The bottom line is it’s a private business and they can make their own rules. 

I do expect you to take off your shoes before entering my house. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Not sure why I am in the kiddie pool warbow.  If he let a thin skinded guy like halfman mod he should let a darker skinded warbow mod.   I have been pushing for this from day 1.  I dont agree with racism and I am sorry you feel that way.  If I can help let me know.  

You can help by showing up at the Target 🎯 closest to where @mugtang lives for a planned riot against racism on the MWCBoard.  Minority lives matter, let us breathe.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Guest #1Stunner
17 minutes ago, Warbow said:

The bottom line is it’s a private business and they can make their own rules. 

I do expect you to take off your shoes before entering my house. 

I don't like how people have been treating Islanders (BYU included).

https://reason.com/2020/05/28/trumps-executive-order-on-twitter-is-a-total-mess/

Trump's Executive Order on Twitter Is a Total Mess

Excerpts:

It's an Orwellian document, defining federal government regulation of Americans' speech as "free speech" and private questioning of government authority as "censorship." In Trump's formulation, private companies can censor the most powerful person in the country but not the other way around.
Despite previously rallying around the rights of conservative businesses to choose who they do business with and decline to display liberal messages (think florists and bakers), Trump now says that private businesses should have to be totally content-neutral conduits of whatever messages that customers want to broadcast.
The order relies heavily on conservatives' victimhood conspiracy du jour: that social media companies are colluding to suppress conservative voices. It's an objectively untrue viewpoint, as countless booted and suspended liberal, libertarian, and apolitical accounts can tell you. But even if it were true that Twitter or Facebook only takes action against conservatives—or if we take the more believable assertion that current content moderation policies tend to hit some political viewpoints harder than others—it would still not fall outside the bounds of Section 230(c)(2) moderation, which requires only that the moderator find some speech to be "objectionable."

1 hour ago, tspoke said:

The MWCboard is actually a pretty good comparison to twitter if we are talking about Mountain West sports messageboards. Maybe even more powerful because there isn't a facebook or Instagram to Mug's MWCboard.

Cause y'all are too ugly. 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Never thought I'd see so many people want censorship (from Big Tech---the 21st Century, unchecked Monopolies).

Apparently a lot do.

Lol. You keep fighting for the First Amendment rights of the government over its private oppressors ... just as the founders intended. Power to the powerful!

15 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Cause y'all are too ugly. 

Now that you mention it, this country has a serious ugly discrimination issue. Now is the time for all ugly people to be heard and seen. We get paid less than good looking people and can’t get jobs that are reserved for good looking people like models, talk show host, tour guides, receptionist, commercial actors, beauty products spokes persons, poster board advertising persons, MWCBoard mods etc.  They are now forcing us to work from home to not be seen. I’ve had enough. I will now take off my mask and get out of the dark closet and smile at myself in the mirror.

who’s with me?

3 hours ago, RSF said:

The+World's+Top+Social+Media+Platforms+i

Trump wants to bring social media under his and conservative attorney general's control.  But their is also a hidden agenda to assert control over the FTC.

The draft order instructs the Justice Department to consult with state attorneys general on allegations of anti-conservative bias. It bans federal agencies from advertising on platforms that have allegedly violated Section 230's good-faith principles.
Finally, the draft order would direct the Federal Trade Commission to report on complaints about political bias collected by the White House and to consider bringing lawsuits against companies accused of violating the administration's interpretation of Section 230.
The provisions regarding the FTC could raise additional legal questions, as the FTC is an independent agency that does not take orders from the President.