Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time

Guest #1Stunner

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-issue-social-media-executive-order-after-twitter-fact-checks-tweets-1506960

What the order will say is not yet clear. However, two of Trump's close GOP allies in Congress signaled earlier Wednesday a willingness to strip the social media giant of the special speech liability immunity it receives because of the fact-checking flap. Trump's move, in the end, is widely expected to be a strong-arming of the platform into not flagging his tweets.

Twitter and similar social media platforms receive a special carve-out from liability that traditional publishers hold under the Communications Decency Act because they are considered passive distributors of third-party content.

"Editorializing is what publishers do, like the New York Times and the Washington Post," Hawley wrote in his letter to Dorsey. "Your company is treated very differently from publishers, as you know."

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

You don’t need to be set back an entire semester (or three or four in some cases) just to learn how to use commas. 

Is your point that knowledge is free and that no one should pay outrageous tuition just to learn what’s freely available on the internet? I actually agree with you there.

Knowledge is free (but you have to use the free Internet at McDonalds to access it, and someone has to give you their old Computer).

College is not free, because you are paying for a piece of Paper.

English Majors.   They are what they are. 

220px-GKpress.jpg

18 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

I've never trolled.

Fact check that.

Deleted the dig, I see. Probably not a bad idea since I'm not in the fine arts, not a CC professor and didn't go to SJSU. But someone must've really pissed in your wheaties since you're reverting to pretty low-rate profession smack and college shit talking in a thread where your first post was a scorching take of at least some relative substance. Dont know what it was since I havent gone thru it yet.

You should read more about topics outside of those you think are part of practical job courses. Your trolling will improve. Even BlueTools would invoke Woodrow Wilson in his trolls.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Deleted the dig, I see. Probably not a bad idea since I'm not in the fine arts, not a CC professor and didn't go to SJSU.

But someone must've really pissed in your wheaties since you're reverting to pretty low-rate profession smack and college shit talking in a thread where your first post was a scorching take of at least some relative substance. Dont know what it was since I havent gone thru it yet.

You should read more about topics outside of those you think are part of practical job courses. Your trolling will improve. Even BlueTools would invoke Woodrow Wilson in his trolls.

First, thank you for the personal analysis and feedback... We all need that.   And I'm thrilled you are interested in your friend, the #1Stunner.

To answer your question, I'm low-rate --- $$$$ --- , I've never denied that fact.  I'm a Community College Graduate.

Who said I'm trolling?  I haven't trolled once.   I only post on what interests me.

Who is BlueTools??  

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

First, thank you for the personal analysis and feedback... We all need that.   And I'm thrilled you are interested in your friend, the #1Stunner.

To answer your question, I'm low-rate --- $$$$ --- , I've never denied that fact.  I'm a Community College Graduate.

Who said I'm trolling?  I haven't trolled once.   I only post on what interests me.

Who is BlueTools??  

Just to be clear, I didnt call you low rate, buddy. I called profession smack talk low rate. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
3 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Just to be clear, I didnt call you low rate, buddy. I called profession smack talk low rate. 

Enough.  Back on topic.

3 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Enough.  Back on topic.

nah... I dont want to talk about trump twitter or the community college system. Sounds boring. 

Guest #1Stunner
5 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

nah... I dont want to talk about trump twitter or the community college system. Sounds boring. 

Then what shall we talk about?

Race?  Religion?  Politics?  Sports?  San?

Guest #1Stunner
8 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

Let me ask you something about San Jose State...

Why is that University's Athletics Program so mismanaged?

It's perplexing, as I want to like San Jose, and it is 10 times better than say Fresno, or somewhere.... So?  Why does it suck so bad?

The venues are terrible.   The fan support sucks.  Can't figure it out.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

Trump should just have a gov site created that every president in the future can use to communicate to the public. People can sign up and get the messages when they’re sent out. But they’d need to have a word and post limit per day for Trump. 

Let me ask you.... why do people give you so much shit on here?

We haven't interacted much, but people get so angry by your opinions that they treat you like shit. 

What's the deal?  Your side of the story.

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Then what shall we talk about?

Race?  Religion?  Politics?  Sports?  San?

I finally just watched John Wick 3 the other night. how about that? 

4 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Let me ask you something about San Jose State...

Why is that University's Athletics Program so mismanaged?

It's perplexing, as I want to like San Jose, and it is 10 times better than say Fresno, or somewhere.... So?  Why does it suck so bad?

The venues are terrible.   The fan support sucks.  Can't figure it out.

Theeeeres the Stunner I know. When In doubt, go with what you know. Dance with the girl you brought. Just as long as you signed a morality pledge first. No funny business at BYU mixers. 

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, smltwnrckr said:

Theeeeres the Stunner I know. When In doubt, go with what you know. Dance with the girl you brought. Just as long as you signed a morality pledge first. No funny business at BYU mixers. 

Beg your pardon?

Serious though, I'd like to hear your thoughts an Spartans Athletics.

6 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

Trump should just have a gov site created that every president in the future can use to communicate to the public. People can sign up and get the messages when they’re sent out. But they’d need to have a word and post limit per day for Trump. 

Um...

2 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Beg your pardon?

Serious though, I'd like to hear your thoughts an Spartans Athletics.

I'd rather hear your thoughts in great punch and pie tailgating recipes. Mocktails? Or maybe a chart comparing the average age of a california community college student to the average age of a BYU offensive lineman. 

7 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Let me ask you.... why do people give you so much shit on here?

We haven't interacted much, but people get so angry by your opinions that they treat you like shit. 

What's the deal?  Your side of the story.

😂😂 Nice try. You could’ve tried it being a little more subtle, but I still wouldn’t fallen for that. 

kat.jpg

Guest #1Stunner
32 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

😂😂 Nice try. You could’ve tried it being a little more subtle, but I still wouldn’t fallen for that. 

But seriously,though.... Why?

Guest #1Stunner
32 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I'd rather hear your thoughts in great punch and pie tailgating recipes. Mocktails? Or maybe a chart comparing the average age of a california community college student to the average age of a BYU offensive lineman. 

You don't want to discuss Spartans Athletics?

OK. 

Bye.

4 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

I agree completely---i.e., that an political opinion can be rebutted with factual evidence.  By other users, or media.

I do not agree that the forum host (twitter) should play the role of "fact checker", or refuse to allow participants that they disagree with.   I do not think they should "flag" a post or ban a user, because their "fact check" is that they disagree with the user's political opinion. 

So, by your definition.  Political opinion can be refuted by factual evidence by either other users or media.

Here's your sign....

Definition of medium (Merriam-Webster)

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a: something in a middle positionThese shirts are all mediums.

b: a middle condition or degree : MEANLook for a happy medium.

2: a means of effecting or conveying something: such as

a(1): a substance regarded as the means of transmission (see TRANSMISSION sense 1) of a force or effectair is the medium that conveys sound

(2): a surrounding or enveloping substance

(3): the tenuous material (such as gas and dust) in space that exists outside large agglomerations (see AGGLOMERATION sense 2) of matter (such as stars)interstellar medium

bplural usually media

(1): a channel or system of communication, information, or entertainment— compare MASS MEDIUM

(2): a publication or broadcast that carries advertising

(3): a mode of artistic expression or communicationas his literary medium he has chosen a biographical form— Ernest Newman

(4): something (such as a magnetic disk) on which information may be stored

cmedia plural : digital audio or video files available for playback or streaming… the free video broadcasts can be downloaded to portable media players from a number of popular pod[cast] and vodcast Web sites.— Steve MillerApple's current keyboards can use the function keys … for alternate functions such as controlling volume, screen brightness, media playback …— Dan Frakes

d: GO-BETWEEN, INTERMEDIARYthe medium of introduction was no doubt … the publisher— Richard Garnett

eplural mediums : an individual held to be a channel of communication between the earthly world and a world of spirits

f: material or technical means of artistic expression (such as paint and canvas, sculptural stone, or literary or musical form)

3a: a condition or environment in which something may function or flourishOcean fish live in a medium of salt water.

bplural media

(1): a nutrient system for the artificial cultivation of cells or organisms and especially bacteria

(2): a fluid or solid in which organic (see ORGANIC entry 1 sense 1) structures are placed (as for preservation or mounting)

c: a liquid with which pigment is mixed by a painter

Would love to get into the debate as to if Twitter is a communication medium