Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time

3 hours ago, AndroidAggie said:

censorship is a loaded term, i suppose.  not to get all postmodern, but i think it's context dependent.  i should be more careful in the way i talk.

i think when your average joe or sally hear 'censorship' they think that the govt is stopping someone from sharing an opinion that undermines trust in the govt.  although, strictly speaking, any attempt to squelch or filter or modify or edit or block a message can be defined as censorship, though each context will lend different connotations and emotional weight.  some censorship i'm less concerned with and others i'm more concerned with.

this instance i'm less concerned with it.  i guess i am a liberal hypocrite afterall, @#1Stunner

Never apologize for embracing a world of many truths. 

But in terms of non-government censorship, I am actually concerned about the concept of gutting 230 beyond the fact that it would basically destroy the internet as we know it. SLAPP lawsuits are among the most egregious acts of private-party censorship out there. And so stripping away 230 protections opens up a whole bunch of new opportunities to coerce platforms to censor content that is specifically critical of powerful people and politicians, even content that is relavent and true, to avoid the legal hassle. Interestingly, our president has a nice long history of using SLAPP lawsuits to silence criticism. (One of his best buddies Devin Nunes is following suit.) So I'm not surprised that his ideal way of punishing media companies and web platforms for being meanie weenies to him and asking lunatics like Diamond and Silk or Alex Jones to play in another sandbox is to make it easier to bring bullshit lawsuits against them. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

6 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What you described is a rebuttal argument...

Only @mugtang has real power to censor on this board, since he has power over the board software.   He could even flag posts he disagrees with, and put label that it is a "lie" next to it (which would carry a lot of weight) 

I disagree with you, and don't think there is a lot of "censoring" on this board...  Mug is pretty open to letting people discuss their views. 

That would be so much work and coding I don’t want to do lol. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

13 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

What you described is a rebuttal argument...

Only @mugtang has real power to censor on this board, since he has power over the board software.   He could even flag posts he disagrees with, and put label that it is a "lie" next to it (which would carry a lot of weight) 

I disagree with you, and don't think there is a lot of "censoring" on this board...  Mug is pretty open to letting people discuss their views. 

Not a lot but there still is some of it going on. I received a couple warnings because of censorship here.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, Warbow said:

Not a lot but there still is some of it going on. I received a couple warnings because of censorship here.

Might be racism.

You notice if he's targeted Islanders? 

1 hour ago, #1Stunner said:

Never heard of it. 

It doesn't matter whether you've personally heard of it. What matters is that it exists as a Twitter alternative, which you claimed doesn't exist.

31 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

We've already talked about this....reasonable minds can disagree.

I don't think it is appropriate for the ONLY such forum that exists (Twitter) to "fact check" Political Opinions of people, including the President (it was his OPINION on what WILL OCCUR, IF something happens---mail in ballots).  Fact checking political opinions is not fact checking, it is the forum host picking a side, using their power of their software, and making a passive-aggressive rebuttal argument.   I don't necessary even agree with the President's take on the ballot issue.

Elizabeth Warren is correct on this issue (do you not agree).  That 4-5 "Big Tech" companies have too much power, including over free speech.

So your solution is to just not let Twitter put a fact check on tweets? 

I'm not hearing a lot of ideas out of you other than regulate social media. 

You have also complained about Twitter banning conservative accounts. So how do we stop that? No banning of accounts ever? Only if a government board says its OK? 

As far as the monopoly of big tech companies goes....... I'm not sure. I haven't thought too much about it.... I don't really like the consolidation and Facebook buying up other platforms. But that isnt the same topic as this as breaking them up wouldn't stop Twitter from censoring people on their own platform. 

I think @mugtang should fact check every time someone says that Boise St has a secret underground practice facility or issue out roids to incoming freshmen during their illegal off season practices.

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, retrofade said:

It doesn't matter whether you've personally heard of it. What matters is that it exists as a Twitter alternative, which you claimed doesn't exist.

For all practical purposes, there is ONE Twitter.  No real alternative exists.

That's why free speech is important and even  a discussion in this context. 

Joe Rogan is right on this. 

1 minute ago, #1Stunner said:

For all practical purposes, there is ONE Twitter.  No real alternative exists.

That's why free speech is important and even  a discussion in this context. 

Joe Rogan is right on this. 

It is amusing how you keep moving the goalposts every time you're proven incorrect.

LzHrOUd.png

5 minutes ago, #1Stunner said:

Might be racism.

You notice if he's targeted Islanders? 

It could be but I doubt it. I hear @mugtang is part Guamanian. Although I hear he won’t ever let a minority be a mod here. @slappy Just ask K-5. 

Guest #1Stunner
Just now, tspoke said:

CORRECT.  Let the Tweets be "checked" and rebutted by other users---not the Lord of the Software.  

Regulate Social Media (Monopolies), or go full Liz Warren, and break up these Monopolies.  

You have also complained about Twitter banning conservative accounts. So how do we stop that? No banning of accounts ever? Only if a government board says its OK? 

I am complaining about censorship.  I don't like Twitter banning conservative accounts.  I don't like Youtube banning Michael Moore's film.  I don't like all "big tech" purposing hiding any criticism of China.   Some people just can't get past the fact that I agree with Trump on this issue (doesn't mean I agree with him on other issues).

As far as the monopoly of big tech companies goes....... I'm not sure. I haven't thought too much about it.... I don't really like the consolidation and Facebook buying up other platforms. But that isnt the same topic as this as breaking them up wouldn't stop Twitter from censoring people on their own platform. 

5 minutes ago, tspoke said:

It's called the Fairness Doctrine. Conservatives are super into the idea now. 

It's very much part of the shift in Conservative Ideology that is trailing the ascendence of Trump and of right-wing populism. It's the rejection of Enlightenment values and actively working to replace them with conservative social values as the organizing principle in law, politics and society. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Guest #1Stunner
1 minute ago, retrofade said:

It is amusing how you keep moving the goalposts every time you're proven incorrect.

^^^ Has no response.

I did not move the goal posts at all.  You just were unhappy with the response, and wanted to pretend that a Twitter alternative that no one has ever heard of, and that has no audience, is a real alternative.  Wrong.

Elizabeth Warren is right.  You are wrong.  These companies are MONOPOLIES.

90ecfa85c94cbacc151d2205bc862671.jpg

Just now, SJSUMFA2013 said:

If a man thinks about a woman while masturbating, he has sexually assaulted her. #facts

I mean, isn't that what the Bible says?

Just now, #1Stunner said:

^^^ Has no response.

I did not move the goal posts at all.  You just were unhappy with the response, and wanted to pretend that a Twitter alternative that no one has ever heard of, and that has no audience, is a real alternative.  Wrong.

Elizabeth Warren is right.  You are wrong.  These companies are MONOPOLIES.

90ecfa85c94cbacc151d2205bc862671.jpg

Gab is actually very well known as a Twitter alternative. You just don't want to admit it because it undermines your argument even further. Move those goalposts, troll boy.

3 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

If a man thinks about a woman while masturbating, he has sexually assaulted her. #facts

Now this is a subject that I’m an expert on. The answer is:

Only if you are imagining that she is saying NO!