Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Twitter labels Trump’s tweets with a fact check for the first time

Twitter on Tuesday slapped a fact-check label on President Trump’s tweets for the first time, a response to long-standing criticism that the company is too hands-off when it comes to policing misinformation and falsehoods from world leaders.

The move, which escalates tensions between Washington and Silicon Valley in an election year, was made in response to two Trump tweets over the past 24 hours. The tweets falsely claimed that mail-in ballots are fraudulent. Twitter’s label says, “Get the facts about mail-in ballots,” and redirects users to news articles about Trump’s unsubstantiated claim.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/05/26/trump-twitter-label-fact-check/

Here's the tweets in question...

And here's President Temper Tantrum's response...

3 minutes ago, retrofade said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/05/26/trump-twitter-label-fact-check/

I think it's kinda funny they used CNN as a fact check.  Almost like they did it intentionally to piss him off.   Hey Trump, Twitter is a private company and is free to do whatever they wish.  If they don't want you spreading misinformation on their site that's their decision.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

10 minutes ago, mugtang said:

I think it's kinda funny they used CNN as a fact check.  Almost like they did it intentionally to piss him off.   Hey Trump, Twitter is a private company and is free to do whatever they wish.  If they don't want you spreading misinformation on their site that's their decision.

10 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Is it bad when the government is complaining about free speech when it is lying on a non-governmental platform?  :rotflmfao:

e06.gif

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

6 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

The President of the United States doesn't know what the First Amendment is. Let's all pause for a moment and truly let that sink in.

Trumpers rn:

83B143CE-7D76-4C9D-9F06-AF672DFDA139.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Fort Fun said:

The President of the United States doesn't know what the First Amendment is. Let's all pause for a moment and truly let that sink in.

But he knows how to use the Second Amendment to get his cult all fired up.

1 minute ago, sactowndog said:

So curious what is his end game setting up this claim of a rigged election?  

The Trump "News" Network... where he can spew conspiracy theories 24/7 after he's out of office.

12 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

So curious what is his end game setting up this claim of a rigged election?  

He wants to be able to claim it was rigged if he loses. He’ll then spend the rest of his life telling his cult that they were robbed.  If we get him out of office in January I hope people realize that this isn’t over. The cult isn’t going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

He wants to be able to claim it was rigged if he loses. He’ll then spend the rest of his life telling his cult that they were robbed.  If we get him out of office in January I hope people realize that this isn’t over. The cult isn’t going anywhere.

He did it last election, he will do it this one.  He just complains a lot.  

And I suppose his cult may attempt to start that "civil war" they have been looking for.  Luckily, they back the blue, so when the cops start shutting shit down, they will obey their masters.

18 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

And I suppose his cult may attempt to start that "civil war" they have been looking for.  Luckily, they back the blue, so when the cops start shutting shit down, they will obey their masters.

This is where the rhetoric stops. They all don't back the blue. I have many freinds who believe Trump but can't stand the blues way of doing things. They post more and more pics of the guns their buying . Some are actually using terms like 'Gestapo '. Some  are buying into the theory that Gates is going to put a chip into a vaccine.

These are people I grew up with( and a couple family members,)....now they seem really scared of something.....I don't see what exactly it is...but it sure has me qurious. 

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I’m not worried about that. I’m worried about what these fringe ideas will produce in 2024 and beyond. 

29 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

This is where the rhetoric stops. They all don't back the blue. I have many freinds who believe Trump but can't stand the blues way of doing things. They post more and more pics of the guns their buying . Some are actually using terms like 'Gestapo '. Some  are buying into the theory that Gates is going to put a chip into a vaccine.

These are people I grew up with( and a couple family members,)....now they seem really scared of something.....I don't see what exactly it is...but it sure has me qurious. 

Fair enough.  So then some will get their "civil war". 

5 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Fair enough.  So then some will get their "civil war". 

Yep, maybe so.

But,  really  I think those 'some 'are just feeling a sense of empowerment.  They like Trumps style, they come out of the woodwork, so to speak.  I really don't think they would go full on civil war. Hell, half of them have never shot a gun...other than at targets.  

7 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Yep, maybe so.

But,  really  I think those 'some 'are just feeling a sense of empowerment.  They like Trumps style, they come out of the woodwork, so to speak.  I really don't think they would go full on civil war. Hell, half of them have never shot a gun...other than at targets.  

Of course they won't.  Hence the quotations.  

Guest #1Stunner
13 hours ago, retrofade said:

I agree with Trump on this one regarding censoring or fact checking an expressed Opinion on their platform. (Even though I disagree with his take on mail in ballots)

Twitter should not be regulating speech or editorializing speech, unless it violated the law or is clear harassment.  While I don't agree with Trump on the issue, the tweet expressing an opinion on mail-in ballots was not an egregious statement.

If Twitter keeps sensoring speech it disagrees with (Twitter mostly sensors Conservative Political Speech), then the government should intervene.  Yes, regulate.

I'm politically an Independent.

I'm not a Republican Partisan (I'm in favor of government regulation) so I'm all for government regulating private companies if there is a need.  I think there is a basis to regulate Twitter, YouTube and others who disallow political opinions they disagree with.  They aren't censoring Democratic political opinions.

I'm not a Democrat Partisan that will say one thing (Believe Women) and do another (Ignore or Discredit Women if it's a Rape Allegation Against a Democrat), when it is convenient.  The Democrats cheering on no regulation of a private business (Twitter) are only doing so because they think it benefits their side.  They regularly argue that we need to regulate more, including private companies (see the LGBT Bakery Wedding Cake debate)

A Google search yielded this article, which was a fair take on the debate.

https://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/social-clashes-digital-free-speech