Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sean327

Nationwide Protest and civil unrest game thread

Guest #1Stunner
2 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

He's alive, and admits he was an idiot for charging a group of protesters with a sword.

It was very dumb.  The crowd beat him for it.  He looked like he was off his meds.  Crazy guy.  

Pretended to be dead afterwards (he fooled me).

Shit is getting real. I expect Trump will invoke the insurrection act tomorrow morning 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Sounds like 2 dead in Vegas.  Possibly one cop and one civilian. One near federal courthouse and one up the road near circus circus.

Tragic. By all accounts the organized protest was peaceful and ended. This happened as the crowd was thinning.

24 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Shit...

They deleted that tweet and replaced it 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

5 minutes ago, mugtang said:

They deleted that tweet and replaced it 

sounds like cops took somebody out. There’s a cell phone video on Rgj.com

i heard what I thought was flash grenades but might have heard the gunfire after seeing the video.

6 hours ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

He's alive, and admits he was an idiot for charging a group of protesters with a sword.

I thought I heard that but wasn’t sure if it was real.  I heard he tried to stab a young black kid who was passing by and got beat for his troubles like the dude in Utah.   

6 hours ago, #1Stunner said:

Antifa?  I don't think they are even a real thing.  Like 50 people in Portland, Oregon is all....  Way over exaggerated...

Like you said, I think it is 95% White Males (probably Nazis) doing the looting and burning.  Trump sympathizers, and to show allegiance to Trump, they started looting and starting fires... That's what we are seeing on the videos.  Trump supporters doing the illegal stuff.

Looting no.  I think some agitators are starting it and some low moral people are taking advantage.   The all black is an Antifa thing but I suspect some are wearing all black to try to blame them and aren’t Antifa.  

11 hours ago, mugtang said:

Oh believe me I understand what I own. My intention is to never use it. But it’s like a condom, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. 

do you make sure to put rounds through your condom weekly to keep your aim?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

10 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Mariann Budde is the Episcopal Bishop of Washington DC

Was President Trump or Bishop Budde the one trying to score the most political points from the President's visit to St. Johns's?  The bolded statements seem to directly contradict what Bishop Budde claims, the italic statements are what Budde says about Trump, my commentary is underlined:

Excerpts from Pres. Trump's remarks before visiting St. John's Chruch:
Thank you very much. My fellow Americans, my first and highest duty as President is to defend the great country and the American people. I swore an oath to uphold the laws of our nation, and that is exactly what I will do. All Americans are rightly sickened and revolted by the brutal death of George Floyd. My administration is fully committed that for George and his family, justice will be served. He will not have died in vain.  (Budde: "he did not lament the death of George Floyd") This sounds like a pretty direct statement saying all Americas were sickened by the death of George and want justice.  Not sure how how that is not "lamenting" what happened to George.

But we cannot allow the righteous prize and peaceful protesters to be drowned out by an angry mob. The biggest victims of the rioting are peace loving citizens in our poorest communities, and as they are President, I will fight to keep them safe. I will fight to protect you. I am your President of law and order and an ally of all peaceful protesters.   

Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land."  Sounds like Pres. Trump is saying that it is a tragedy that peaceful protesters were drowned out by angry mobs and he wants peaceful protesters a chance to be heard and a chance to be safe while they express their message.

But in recent days, our nation has been gripped by professional anarchists, violent mobs, or, arsonists, looters, criminals, rider rioters, Antifa and others. A number of state and local governors have failed to take necessary action to safeguard their residence. Innocent people have been savagely beaten like the young man in Dallas, Texas, who was left dying on the street. Where the woman in upstate New York, viciously attacked by dangerous thugs. Small business owners have seen their dreams utterly destroyed. New York's finest have been hit in the face with bricks. Brave nurses who have battled the virus are afraid to leave their homes. A police precinct has been overrun here in the nation's capital, the Lincoln Memorial and the World War II memorial have been vandalized. One of our most historic churches was set ablaze. A federal officer in California, an African American enforcement hero was shot and killed.  Sounds like an expression of sadness that people have been attacked and historic important sites (including St. John's) were defaced or damaged. 

These are not acts of peaceful protest. These are acts of domestic terror. The destruction of innocent life and the spilling of innocent blood is offense to humanity and a crime against god.  (Budde: "The Bible teaches us to love God and our neighbor; that all people are beloved children of God; that we are to do justice and love kindness. The President used our sacred text as a symbol of division.") America needs creation, not destruction. Cooperation, not contempt, security, not anarchy. Healing the hatred, justice, not chaos.  (Budde: "a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for." )

This is our mission, and we will succeed 100%. We will succeed. Our country always wins. That is why I am taking immediate presidential action to stop the violence and restore security and safety in America. I am immobilizing all federal resources, civilian and military to stop the rioting and looting, to end the destruction and arson, and to protect the rights of law-abiding Americans, including your second amendment rights. Therefore, the following measures are going into effect immediately.  (Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land.")

First, we are entering the riots and lawlessness that has spread throughout our country. We will end it now. Today, I have strongly recommended to every governor to deploy the National Guard in sufficient numbers that we dominate the streets. Mayors and governors, both established and overwhelming law enforcement presence until the violence has been quelled. If the city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residence, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them.

I am also taking swift and decisive action to protect our great capital, Washington, DC. What happened in the city last night was a total disgrace. As we speak, I am dispatching thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers, military personnel, and law enforcement officers to stop the rioting, looting, vandalism, assaults, and the wanton destruction of property. We are putting everybody on warning on a 7:00 curfew that will be strictly enforced. Those who threaten innocent life and property will be arrested, detained, and prosecuted  (Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land.") to the fullest extent of the law. I want the organizers of this terror to be on notice that you will face severe criminal penalties and lengthy sentences in jail. This includes Antifa and others who were leading instigators of this violence. One law and order, and that is what it is, one law.

We have one, beautiful law. And once that is restored and fully restored, we will help you, we will help your business, and we will help your family.  (Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land." ) America is founded on the rule of law. It is the foundation of our prosperity, our freedom and our very way of life, but where there is no law, there is no opportunity. Where there is no justice, there is no liberty, where there is no safety, there is no future. We must never give in to anger or hatred. If malice or violence rains, then none of us is free. I take these actions today with firm resolve and with a true and passionate love for our country. By far our greatest days lie ahead.  (Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land.") (Budde: "a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for." )

Thank you very much, and now I am going to pay my respects to a very, very special place. (St. John's Church) (Budde: "a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for." ) 
Sometimes if you actually look at what Trump says instead of the outraged commentary, it is laughable to see to constant outrage.  I agree Trump should try to do better at presenting a unifying message that the country can get behind, but trying to be objective about what he actually said before visiting the church it is tough to find the outrageous message that Bishop Budde claims he presented that goes against everything Christ, Christians and St. John's church stands for.  Trump's message saying it was sickening that George Floyd was killed, and justice is needed for George Floyd and his family, that peaceful protesters have unfairly been drowned out by those committing violence and other unlawful acts, that if local leaders are unwilling to try and restore law and order to stop violence and looting that he will use federal assets to do so, that that he wants law and order restored so that people can have the opportunity to prosper, that we should not give in to anger or hatred, that if violence reigns than none are free, sounds like a message most American's would almost entirely agree with.  Please enlighten me about what was so outragrous about this speech?

6 minutes ago, AG Blue said:
Was President Trump or Bishop Budde the one trying to score the most political points from the President's visit to St. Johns's?  The bolded statements seem to directly contradict what Bishop Budde claims, the italic statements are what Budde says about Trump, my commentary is underlined:

Excerpts from Pres. Trump's remarks before visiting St. John's Chruch:
Thank you very much. My fellow Americans, my first and highest duty as President is to defend the great country and the American people. I swore an oath to uphold the laws of our nation, and that is exactly what I will do. All Americans are rightly sickened and revolted by the brutal death of George Floyd. My administration is fully committed that for George and his family, justice will be served. He will not have died in vain.  (Budde: "he did not lament the death of George Floyd") This sounds like a pretty direct statement saying all Americas were sickened by the death of George and want justice.  Not sure how how that is not "lamenting" what happened to George.

But we cannot allow the righteous prize and peaceful protesters to be drowned out by an angry mob. The biggest victims of the rioting are peace loving citizens in our poorest communities, and as they are President, I will fight to keep them safe. I will fight to protect you. I am your President of law and order and an ally of all peaceful protesters.   

Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land."  Sounds like Pres. Trump is saying that it is a tragedy that peaceful protesters were drowned out by angry mobs and he wants peaceful protesters a chance to be heard and a chance to be safe while they express their message.

But in recent days, our nation has been gripped by professional anarchists, violent mobs, or, arsonists, looters, criminals, rider rioters, Antifa and others. A number of state and local governors have failed to take necessary action to safeguard their residence. Innocent people have been savagely beaten like the young man in Dallas, Texas, who was left dying on the street. Where the woman in upstate New York, viciously attacked by dangerous thugs. Small business owners have seen their dreams utterly destroyed. New York's finest have been hit in the face with bricks. Brave nurses who have battled the virus are afraid to leave their homes. A police precinct has been overrun here in the nation's capital, the Lincoln Memorial and the World War II memorial have been vandalized. One of our most historic churches was set ablaze. A federal officer in California, an African American enforcement hero was shot and killed.  Sounds like an expression of sadness that people have been attacked and historic important sites (including St. John's) were defaced or damaged. 

These are not acts of peaceful protest. These are acts of domestic terror. The destruction of innocent life and the spilling of innocent blood is offense to humanity and a crime against god.  (Budde: "The Bible teaches us to love God and our neighbor; that all people are beloved children of God; that we are to do justice and love kindness. The President used our sacred text as a symbol of division.") America needs creation, not destruction. Cooperation, not contempt, security, not anarchy. Healing the hatred, justice, not chaos.  (Budde: "a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for." )

This is our mission, and we will succeed 100%. We will succeed. Our country always wins. That is why I am taking immediate presidential action to stop the violence and restore security and safety in America. I am immobilizing all federal resources, civilian and military to stop the rioting and looting, to end the destruction and arson, and to protect the rights of law-abiding Americans, including your second amendment rights. Therefore, the following measures are going into effect immediately.  (Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land.")

First, we are entering the riots and lawlessness that has spread throughout our country. We will end it now. Today, I have strongly recommended to every governor to deploy the National Guard in sufficient numbers that we dominate the streets. Mayors and governors, both established and overwhelming law enforcement presence until the violence has been quelled. If the city or state refuses to take the actions that are necessary to defend the life and property of their residence, then I will deploy the United States military and quickly solve the problem for them.

I am also taking swift and decisive action to protect our great capital, Washington, DC. What happened in the city last night was a total disgrace. As we speak, I am dispatching thousands and thousands of heavily armed soldiers, military personnel, and law enforcement officers to stop the rioting, looting, vandalism, assaults, and the wanton destruction of property. We are putting everybody on warning on a 7:00 curfew that will be strictly enforced. Those who threaten innocent life and property will be arrested, detained, and prosecuted  (Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land.") to the fullest extent of the law. I want the organizers of this terror to be on notice that you will face severe criminal penalties and lengthy sentences in jail. This includes Antifa and others who were leading instigators of this violence. One law and order, and that is what it is, one law.

We have one, beautiful law. And once that is restored and fully restored, we will help you, we will help your business, and we will help your family.  (Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land." ) America is founded on the rule of law. It is the foundation of our prosperity, our freedom and our very way of life, but where there is no law, there is no opportunity. Where there is no justice, there is no liberty, where there is no safety, there is no future. We must never give in to anger or hatred. If malice or violence rains, then none of us is free. I take these actions today with firm resolve and with a true and passionate love for our country. By far our greatest days lie ahead.  (Budde: "He did not attempt to heal or bring calm to our troubled land.") (Budde: "a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for." )

Thank you very much, and now I am going to pay my respects to a very, very special place. (St. John's Church) (Budde: "a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for." ) 
Sometimes if you actually look at what Trump says instead of the outraged commentary, it is laughable to see to constant outrage.  I agree Trump should try to do better at presenting a unifying message that the country can get behind, but trying to be objective about what he actually said before visiting the church it is tough to find the outrageous message that Bishop Budde claims he presented that goes against everything Christ, Christians and St. John's church stands for.  Trump's message saying it was sickening that George Floyd was killed, and justice is needed for George Floyd and his family, that peaceful protesters have unfairly been drowned out by those committing violence and other unlawful acts, that if local leaders are unwilling to try and restore law and order to stop violence and looting that he will use federal assets to do so, that that he wants law and order restored so that people can have the opportunity to prosper, that we should not give in to anger or hatred, that if violence reigns than none are free, sounds like a message most American's would almost entirely agree with.  Please enlighten me about what was so outragrous about this speech?

Trump apologists, the Bishop made her comments in regards to his photo ops to St. John's Church. All he did was stand outside, after ordering peaceful protestors be tear-gassed and disbursed with rubber bullets.

Your grasping for straws with your defenses above.

16 hours ago, mugtang said:

I don’t take an issue with the streets being cleared. 

He pepper sprayed and tear gassed and shot with rubber bullets peaceful protesters so he could take a +++++ing picture. He turned on his own people for a pr stunt that he will use for his reelection campaign..... This is one of the worst things he has done and he's done some heinous shit. 

It was one of the most peaceful days in DC up till that point. We're things calming down over the country yesterday? I dont know but I do know his actions reignited shit.

44 minutes ago, AG Blue said:

I am your President of law and order and an ally of all peaceful protesters.   

He said this while flash banging tear gassing and shooting with rubber bullets peaceful protesters across the street so he could have a photo op. 

You can literally hear flash bangs going of as he says this. 

On 5/30/2020 at 3:00 PM, NVGiant said:

This is the dialogue I wanted to start. When I say a legal discussion is beneath the moment, I’m saying that no new law would have stopped that cop’s knee from being placed on the throat of George Floyd. That discussion has importance, but there are greater issues at play.

I have no great answers, other than to say that university is a hub of white passivity, too. In some ways, I think the white “woke” college kid is doing nothing but making himself feel better. For some, not all, it’s the appearance of doing something. I see this in Bend, where there is almost no diversity, yet there they are marching in support. I have no issue with it, per say. Support is good. But Even if their hearts in the right place, which it largely is, it’s a largely empty gesture. talk to these people, and they don’t know or understand race at all. They’ve never been confronted by its ugliness because they’ve only viewed it from afar. So they’ve never been forced to confront their own prejudices.

But it’s not just them. I grew up in a diverse area of a diverse city. And I had friends who struggled in ways that I didn’t because of their race. That white kid who was believed? That was me in third grade. I wasn’t a racist kid. Just a kid trying to avoid trouble and yet I knew my lie would be believed. I’ve also had white friends who became bigots because they were picked on by a black kid (my brother in law is like this). Race is so incredibly complicated, but we do a disservice by not facing it ourselves.

That doesn’t mean going woke and calling everybody a racist. It means question ourselves endlessly about why we do things. 

I don’t know. I’m rambling because I’m angry. Not at you, of course. I’m just so tired of this shit.

I don't disagree with your assessment of white woke college kids, and I don't disagree with the need for more self reflection... but that wasn't what I was talking about in terms of the campus environment. I was talking more complicated, layered situations of privilege and power being simplified under the singular banner of race... like about faculty of color who were raised by diplomats and professors who went to Yale and Harvard and NYU, and so on and so forth, who help run the institution but don't live here because there are too many poor brown people, deciding what white passivity looks like on a campus where most of the students are not white, and the ones who are white are mostly first-time college students, where non-tenured lecturers are exploited and are mostly white and latina women largely from this economically depressed region. That's the problem with deciding that the problem is white passivity - because that assigns the blame for structural problems onto individuals' lack of action and it erases all of the context and nuance. It also works as a cudgel against any reasonable discussion about the complexities of privilege and power, and it works most effectively against people who would be potential allies in building a consensus. It assumes bad faith on behalf of all individuals because it doesn't address the fact that the following questions must be asked, but can only be asked at the individual level: What does it mean to be passive? What does it mean to be appropriately active? Because that is literally impossible, white passivity can only be eliminated when racism itself is eliminated. And that's a problem that isn't fixing itself anytime soon.  

It's why in the mean time I think that the best start to dealing with the issue of black men getting killed and abused by the police is to reduce the number of people being killed and abused by police, which starts with reducing the points of intervention that the police that the police take disproportionately against certain communities. It's police policy reform, criminal justice reform and prison reform. Those are the institutional issues that seem to be most effective at hurting black america and perpetuating racial inequalities. That seems pretty clearly to be where the rage is coming from. And there were people in white conservative circles agreeing with that right around Ferguson with militarized police forces being mobilized against a poor, largely black community while the country watched. I was very disappointed when that coalition failed to materialize. Why didn't it materialize?

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

12 hours ago, mugtang said:

So antifa....?

Antifa is not the same as anarchists. 

I don't think antifa(whatever the loose coalition of people who call themselves that is) is very involved in this. They tend to show up at right wing rallies to start shit. People I think use Antifa for a Wierd catch all when its really anarchists. +++++ those guys. But most everyone hates anarchists and they aren't really on the left like Antifa so the president has to make antifa(who are more aligned with the left)the bad guys.

On 5/31/2020 at 10:48 AM, happycamper said:

@smltwnrckr

This is part of why I was less worried about the apparent loss of civil liberties due to pandemic rules. When push comes to shove the police never believed that we had those liberties in the first place.

That's why I was concerned about prohibition on commerce, movement and human connection. It gave the police, who believe  and operate under the assumption that civil liberties hinder justice, more opportunities to intervene and dominate the citizenry. Interestingly, which communities were disproportionality affected, and will continue to be disproportionately impacted, by those policies? I'm sure that's fueling a lot of the rage as well.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.