sean327

Nationwide Protest and civil unrest game thread

17 hours ago, renoskier said:

What on earth would they criticize him for?

This is what I was thinking. Criticizing Wallace in and of itself isn't racist but I can't think of a reason to criticize him here that wouldn't be at least a bit racist.

13 hours ago, retrofade said:

Holy Hell. I hope the neighborhood is covered in BLM signs now. I know I would put them up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
4 minutes ago, tspoke said:

This is what I was thinking. Criticizing Wallace in and of itself isn't racist but I can't think of a reason to criticize him here that wouldn't be at least a bit racist.

Holy Hell. I hope the neighborhood is covered in BLM signs now. I know I would put them up.

The crazy thing is that they hadn't even put up a sign... this neighbor (or maybe group of neighbors) just assumed that they might because OMG THEY'RE BLACK. Then the implicit threats that they'd call the police on them, especially knowing that the unrest going on right now is literally about cops murdering black people... it's just disgusting. 

• Like 2
Just now, retrofade said:

The crazy thing is that they hadn't even put up a sign... this neighbor (or maybe group of neighbors) just assumed that they might because OMG THEY'RE BLACK. Then the implicit threats that they'd call the police on them, especially knowing that the unrest going on right now is literally about cops murdering black people... it's just disgusting. 

Yeah I was hoping that the other neighbors were also horrified by this and put up signs in support/defiance. 

8 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah I was hoping that the other neighbors were also horrified by this and put up signs in support/defiance. 

There could be some sort of HOA restriction. I know that we have one in my neighborhood, but the board voted at the last meeting to suspend enforcement on signs through the end of the year. 

So in other news, the governor of Oregon is accusing federal agents of some real secret police level shit: 

Screen-Shot-2020-07-17-at-3-43-18-PM.png

"Oregon Governor Kate Brown has accused federal agents in unmarked cars who apparently detained protesters in Portland of a 'blatant abuse of power'.

Federal officers, deployed by US President Donald Trump, have also fired tear gas and less-lethal munitions into crowds of demonstrators.

Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf called the protesters a 'violent mob.'

Activists have been protesting against police brutality since George Floyd's May killing in police custody in May.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler and other local officials have said they did not ask for assistance from federal agents and have asked them to leave.

A report from Oregon Public Broadcasting contained detailed accounts of witnesses who had seen federal law enforcement dressed in camouflage emerge from unmarked vehicles, grab protesters without explanation and drive off.

Citing the report, American Civil Liberties Union condemned the actions of the agents.

'Usually when we see people in unmarked cars forcibly grab someone off the street we call it kidnapping,' the organisation wrote on Twitter. 'These actions are flat-out unconstitutional and will not go unanswered.'"

Link

Curious to hear how the nuthugger brigade will defend this...

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

So in other news, the governor of Oregon is accusing federal agents of some real secret police level shit: 

Link

All I know is my parents taught me to fight and run when a stranger tries to snatch me up.  So...:whistle:

• Like 1
2 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

All I know is my parents taught me to fight and run when a stranger tries to snatch me up.  So...:whistle:

Right? 

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Link

So there's a lot of white vans driving around Portland...not a good thing. In any situation....don't talk to strangers and be home when the street lights come on.

20 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

So there's a lot of white vans driving around Portland...not a good thing. In any situation....don't talk to strangers and be home when the street lights come on.

I remember the good old days when the only windowless white vans you had to worry about were filled with candy.

• Haha 4
  • Cheers 1
4 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I remember the good old days when the only windowless white vans you had to worry about were filled with candy.

Unfortunately. ..so do I.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

Unfortunately. ..so do I.

I feel creepy for liking that post, but I know what you mean... van candy was rarely the freshest. 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Link

Haha.  You missed the whole thread by Retro.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I feel dirty laughing at this....

• Cheers 1

Anyone that refers to their own neighborhood as "upscale" is a douche. Same goes for "premier".

• Like 1
2 hours ago, toonkee said:

Anyone that refers to their own neighborhood as "upscale" is a douche.

So you would prefer I call my neighborhood what, a 'hood?

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

So you would prefer I call my neighborhood what, a 'hood?

You can call it what you like. You just might sound like a classist douche in doing so.