Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sean327

Nationwide Protest and civil unrest game thread

7 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Trump doesn’t have the power to make people act stupid, they do that on their own. Removing him won’t change that.

Removing him will result in, at worst, a do-nothing president as opposed to one who probably has wet dreams about stirring up the pot.

Residents of a north Raleigh neighborhood expressed outrage Monday after learning that a family received an unsigned letter last week warning them against posting any Black Lives Matter signs in their yard.

"[P]lease remember that the rest of us live in an upscale neighborhood and have spent the extra money to stay out of mixed neighborhoods and/or the ghetto," the letter states. "No one wants trouble or any circumstance arising which could turn our neighborhood into a 'semi-ghetto.'"

"I couldn’t believe that someone in my neighborhood – that close to me – would have written something so mean," said Marianna Morin, a neighbor of an interracial couple in the Wakefield Plantation community.

"I was horrified, appalled, disappointed, sad," said Kate Pirrung, another neighbor and friend of the family that received the letter.

The anonymous letter singles out the husband and children of the family, saying "no one is interested in your or their 'struggles.'"

"Keep matters inside your own house and do your best to keep this area upscale and free of that element," the letter states. "Most of us would not hesitate to call the police if your kids or husband get unruly, so please be considerate of everyone else living amongst you."

https://www.wral.com/keep-this-area-upscale-warns-letter-to-interracial-raleigh-family/19176711/

Jesus Christ.

17 hours ago, renoskier said:

What on earth would they criticize him for?

This is what I was thinking. Criticizing Wallace in and of itself isn't racist but I can't think of a reason to criticize him here that wouldn't be at least a bit racist.

13 hours ago, retrofade said:

Holy Hell. I hope the neighborhood is covered in BLM signs now. I know I would put them up.

4 minutes ago, tspoke said:

This is what I was thinking. Criticizing Wallace in and of itself isn't racist but I can't think of a reason to criticize him here that wouldn't be at least a bit racist.

Holy Hell. I hope the neighborhood is covered in BLM signs now. I know I would put them up.

The crazy thing is that they hadn't even put up a sign... this neighbor (or maybe group of neighbors) just assumed that they might because OMG THEY'RE BLACK. Then the implicit threats that they'd call the police on them, especially knowing that the unrest going on right now is literally about cops murdering black people... it's just disgusting. 

Just now, retrofade said:

The crazy thing is that they hadn't even put up a sign... this neighbor (or maybe group of neighbors) just assumed that they might because OMG THEY'RE BLACK. Then the implicit threats that they'd call the police on them, especially knowing that the unrest going on right now is literally about cops murdering black people... it's just disgusting. 

Yeah I was hoping that the other neighbors were also horrified by this and put up signs in support/defiance. 

8 minutes ago, tspoke said:

Yeah I was hoping that the other neighbors were also horrified by this and put up signs in support/defiance. 

There could be some sort of HOA restriction. I know that we have one in my neighborhood, but the board voted at the last meeting to suspend enforcement on signs through the end of the year. 

So in other news, the governor of Oregon is accusing federal agents of some real secret police level shit: 

Screen-Shot-2020-07-17-at-3-43-18-PM.png

"Oregon Governor Kate Brown has accused federal agents in unmarked cars who apparently detained protesters in Portland of a 'blatant abuse of power'.

Federal officers, deployed by US President Donald Trump, have also fired tear gas and less-lethal munitions into crowds of demonstrators.

Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf called the protesters a 'violent mob.'

Activists have been protesting against police brutality since George Floyd's May killing in police custody in May.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler and other local officials have said they did not ask for assistance from federal agents and have asked them to leave.

A report from Oregon Public Broadcasting contained detailed accounts of witnesses who had seen federal law enforcement dressed in camouflage emerge from unmarked vehicles, grab protesters without explanation and drive off.

Citing the report, American Civil Liberties Union condemned the actions of the agents.

'Usually when we see people in unmarked cars forcibly grab someone off the street we call it kidnapping,' the organisation wrote on Twitter. 'These actions are flat-out unconstitutional and will not go unanswered.'"

Link

Curious to hear how the nuthugger brigade will defend this...

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

1 hour ago, TheSanDiegan said:

So in other news, the governor of Oregon is accusing federal agents of some real secret police level shit: 

Link

All I know is my parents taught me to fight and run when a stranger tries to snatch me up.  So...:whistle:

3 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Link

So there's a lot of white vans driving around Portland...not a good thing. In any situation....don't talk to strangers and be home when the street lights come on.

20 minutes ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

So there's a lot of white vans driving around Portland...not a good thing. In any situation....don't talk to strangers and be home when the street lights come on.

I remember the good old days when the only windowless white vans you had to worry about were filled with candy.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

5 hours ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Link

Haha.  You missed the whole thread by Retro.